Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RPG Recommendations

RPG Recommendations

I'm looking for a really decent RPG that will keep me playing... I've done the whole Morrowind thing, so that's out... I've never played the Baldur's Gate series ( shock horror ) but I played through Icewind Dale & Icewind Dale 2 which used the Infinity Engine and I wasn't that impressed to be honest. Anyone wanna throw me any suggestions?

PC only?

Pirates of the Caribbean
    (I havent played it... but if you like Morrowind...)
    FFVII for PC
    (you'll need a patch to play on XP/newer configs)
    Diablo II + Expansion
    (Still going strong and It's been out for some time now)
    Dungeon Siege + Expansion
    (It's a well made game)

MMORPG

The Realm (It's a VERY fun game) http://www.realmserver.com/
    Final Fantasy IX (I've heard it's slow at first, but gets much better)

PSOne/2

Chrono Cross
    (Game+ mode so you can keep on playing)
    Chrono Trigger (in Final Fantasy Anthology I believe)
    (also a Game+ mode)
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy VIIII
    Fintal Fantasy X

The PC isn't the best place for RPG's, (even though the graphics are the best) but you can also look into the Grand Theft Auto Series (not a technical RPG, but I think it comes close, especially if you compare it to Morrowind). Warcraft III +Expansion is also a RTS/RPG.

Warcraft III, I'll definitely have to check that out. I might grab the Bloodmoon Morrowind Expansion, I played Tribunal but found it slightly short and dissapointing. Thanks for the suggestions, that's cool.
    The FF series kinda made me lose interest after VIII didn't match up to VII, and to my knowledge not one has yet, but having not played them I'm just going off hear-say there.

Suprising to hear the PC isn't the best place for RPG's, I thought it was the opposite to be honest, with the immense amount of games available.

Ultimate Member
    Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Fallout 1/2

None of that bierdy wierdy malrkey in my house wether your names Frodo or not

--Jakk

Gothic II

I hated Morrowind and don't particularly like games that I am looking down on what's going on or have to control a whole group of people. I just want good graphics, a big world, a third person view, the ability to run endlessly and recall places, and a good storyline. Gothic II filled that bill perfectly.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic2/index.html

It really depends on what you consider an RPG as to whether the PC is the best platform for them or not.

If you like the more Anime-style, Japanese influenced RPGs then no, it's not the best platform for RPGs. However, if you like the more western-style, heroic fantasy based RPGs then it's not merely the best platform, I'd almost go so far as to say its the only worthwhile platform for RPGs.

Neverwinter Nights can be very good-- the single player campaign is decent, and you can get the original campaign with the add-on for about $40 if you buy the Gold box edition. You can also play online for free and last time I looked there wre over 3000 modules available for free download.

Knights of the Old Republic just came out for the PC and the Xbox version was considered the best RPG for that platform. The PC version even has more content.

Then there's Troika's new Greyhawk, Temple of Elemental Evil, and you can get the Demo from Fileplanet if you're interested in giving that a try.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

MMORPG - Lineage www.lineage.com

Best MMORPG in the world..
    Leo

Originally posted by Aznmask
    MMORPG - Lineage www.lineage.com

Best MMORPG in the world..

YEP! The best it has my wife and I waiting for lineage2 and we still want to continue with lineage once lineage2 has been released.
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!

The older choices are the better, for me. Fallout 1 and 2, Torment, and try out Baldurs Gate too. The engine is the same of IceWind Dale, but the gameplay is superior. And don't forget Vampire and Arcanum. The best anyway are Arcanum Fallout1 and Fallout 2. Be sure.

I never had a chance to play Arcanum, but yes both the Fallout games are excellent, as is Planescape: Torment.

However, remember, a lot of it has to do with what you think of when you say RPG. I often hear people call the FF series some of the best RPGs ever created and I have problems even fitting them into the category.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Ultimate Member
    I alsways think fo the FF series as more of a turn based strategy thing

--Jakk

Play Ultima Online is the best )

www.uo.com
    http://uo.stratics.com/

Stay Cool and Play UO

Turn-based strategy works, I just find them far too linear and pre-determined to count as an RPG. I also don't like how little customization you can do on the characters in most Anime style games; it always feels like you're playing their character not yours.

Been playing Knights of the Old Republic for a couple days now, and its great. A ton of depth here, tons of stuff you can do. Graphics, story, gameplay are all top notch. Youve got to enjoy the star wars universe though.

Gothic 2 is a great choice

FF series including ones snes, chronocross etc.. all squaresoft products are worth playing