Thread: just curious?

just curious?

so my 10 years old brother is making a project for his school and he asked me to help him , so im thinking about using a power supply from a old computer maybe 250watts , so i can use the case fan on this project but i was wondering if there any way i can use the cables from the power supply to install some light bulbs?
    have anyone tried this b4? and how did u do that?

thanks

Ultimate Member
    I don't see why not... The 4-pin cables have both a 5v and 12v source, so as long as you find bulbs with those power requirements, you should be ok... Carefull though, you can get headlight bulbs that are 12volts, but I don't think the PSU would be too happy powering up something like that!

Intimate Member
    If the power supply is good...and actually works, yes... you can use the outputs to light up LEDs and other types of lamp bulbs.. if you can calculate the wattage of the bulbs and/or the power required.

(Yellow to any black = 12 volts. Red to any black = 5 volts.)

An AT type PSU is easier to use for a project like this than an ATX supply, but either can be used if you know how to connect a PSU and use it outside of a computer case.

You will be limited to the amount of power (watts) you can use...an automobile headlamp for instance will be far too much power requirements for a computer-type power supply.

hey

i just want to use 2 fans ( case fan) 80mm fans
    and 2 GE Halogen 12-Volt Indoor Floodlight

do u think it will handle that?

Ultimate Member
    Errrr, not sure about those lights... Whats the wattage on them?

hey

20 watts

Well if it's a 250watt power supply it should, no??

Ultimate Member
    You should be find at 20 watts

Just because its 250watts doesn't mean it can power up a lightbulb up to 250watt light bulb. Remember that the PSU splits its total wattage between the different voltage rails. And light bulbs, especially higher wattage ones require a lot of initial power to get them going.

Lets not forget watts law, it can be stated many ways but the most applicable in this case is P=IE, where P is the power in watts, I is the current in amps and E is the voltage. 20=12 I or I=20/12 or 1.66 amps per light (sorry about the algebra). The light and powersupply will be compatable, as log as it is rated for more than 1.66 amps at 12 volts.