Thread: How can I put up two sites?

How can I put up two sites?

Hello all,
    I am using a hosting service that gives me 50M. I have uploaded my site successfully. My question is: Can I upload another site and have both running from the same webspace? If so how do I go about it? please advise.

Mac
    cami

well. You registered one domain name (i.e. www.nukelearpower.com) so you get one domain name access. You cant (to my knowledge) have two in that context, but you can have www.mainsite.com and www.mainsite.com/secondarysite

I think that is what I want, how do I put the contents, will there be two index pages? do I put the other one into its own folder?
    Thanks for response.
    cami

On the server your main site has an index.html or .php or whatever in it. Create a subfolder with its own index.html (or what ever you use) and then when you goto www.mainsite.com/secondarysite it will link to the index.html. You have to have index.html or it wont have anything to goto when it opens that folder.

Thanks Neverwhere it is so easy when you know how. I did it and it worked.
    mac
    cami

give us a link so we can take a gander

I have started work on the other info bit, which may have four pages.
    main site other info
    I am now on the right track, the site is for my friend, Thanks again.

Mac
    cami

long as you dont link the main page to the secondary page people might never know!

If I did want to link the main page to the secondery page, how would I do it? and what is the advantage/disadvantage?

mac
    cami

well.. you would just link it like you would to any other web page
    Code:
    <a href="http://www.yoursite.com/secondarysite">Other Page</a>
    As for advantages vs disadvantages ... that depends on if the first pertains to the second... or if they are for two different people. One person might not like links they dont know about on their page...

Oh, and having two pages with different target audiences = more bandwith usage

Basically your webfolder behaves just the same as a folder on your desktop. Say you create a folder [root] on your desktop with a bunch of html files in it. Then you create a shortcut to one of those html files on your desktop. This will open the html file in your browser. The links on that page open up the other html files in the folder.

You can create a subfolder in the [root] folder, say [subpages], and create a bunch of additional html pages in that folder. You can either open these files by creating a link on one of the files in de [root] folder or create a shortcut to those files directly.

A URL (e.g. http://www.example.com/aFile.html) behaves like a shortcut to a remote site/system. Folders on a remote system behave the same way as they would on a local system. A webroot is nothing more than a starting point for the webserver to look for a requested file/page.

A site placed in a subfolder, as proposed in the posts above, is therefore nothing more than a bunch of subpages that can only be opened by a direct request.

Basically, the proposal above is not different from creating a huge site and organise the files in subfolders. The only difference is the page design probably.

Not that I disagree with the proposed solution; It works doesn't it?

another idea would be to get a second domain name and have it redirected to the path containing your second/sub site. this way

www.domain1.com

and

www.domain2.com

could point to different paths on the same site.

You would have to register two domain names for this to work and have the second domain name point to a path off of the original IP.