Thread: Mobo compatibility issues with Locked Barton's

Mobo compatibility issues with Locked Barton's

Ok I have 2 Asus A7N8X - Deluxe Mobo's. One 1.0 rev and one 2.0 rev, both with the latest bios. (I had 3, here is what happened)

I just ordered a new Barton 2500, I have a WC system and wanted to OC as much as possible. I ordered the chip right as I began to hear that the Bartons were being clock locked.

The first thing I looked at when I got the chip was the numbers on it. This one is a AQYFA.....................LOCKED

Man I was so upset, I felt like returning the chip. Instead I decided to try it out. So I slaped some Artic Silver 3 on it and away we went.

Well I decided to test out how locked it was. So I started at a 133 fsb and decided to check different clock combos. Well the first thing I noticed was the mobo had trouble booting at any other clock setting. It wasnt exactly ignoring it. It seemed to be fighting it. Well I tried 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5 12, 12.5. Then I went to 13 (or 5 depending on the processor) BAM......... Nothing, no boot no noise nothing. So I reset the bios.... NOTHING.

Interesting. So I plugged my 2000+ back into it and NOTHING STILL. (BTW you know how long it takes to keep removing the NB and CPU water blocks)

Anyway I tried plugging the 2500 back in and still nothing.

So I changed MOBO's and started again (didn't occure to me that the 13 clock setting had anything to do to it.) I booted up just fine into windows, so I tried the different combos again. When I got to 13, BAM, again. I freaked. After about 10 times tring to reset the bios I finally got it to reboot.

I still cant get the first 2.0 rev to work and I returned it to the manufacter. I tried the barton in the 1.0 rev and it boots, but Im not attempting and other clock speed. My 2.0 that I almost lost. Well I have a Barton 2600 in it running at 2400Ghz with my WC setup.

ALl this just to let you know, you might want to take care with the new locked processors. I wouldnt think it had anything to do with it but it happened on 2 boards. I'm not sure what it is, but the processor is fine, just the 1 mobo is fried and the other I almost lost.

ANy comments?

Thanks for the heads-up, I got an AQYFA Barton 2500+ a few days ago. Interestingly, I can manage multipliers below and including 11 with no problem, it's only the higher ones that are locked. I've tried 11.5x and 12x with the only result being that it's completely ignored - set first to 11x200 which worked fine, tried 11.5x200 (several times to make sure) which resulted in 11x200. I haven't tried any higher than 12x yet, and probably won't now This is on an ABit NF7-S v2 BTW.

what's the #'s on the chips not multiplier locked? and what is std fsb speed?
    Last edited by unrealman; 11-16-2003 at 12:17 PM.

The lock on the cpu only locks out the higher multipliers. The fsb doesn't get locked.
    I have my 2500+ on an 8rda3+ mobo running as 200x11.

My other 2500+ AQXDA is on an Epox 8k3a+ (kt333) running at 166x12.5

Standard fsb speed of Barton from 2500+ up to 3000+ is 166 (333).
    3000+ bartons come in 166 and 200 fsb varieties. The 3200+ is @ 200 (400fsb).

And any 2500+ that is older than the AQYFA is unlocked. So far it seems only the AQYFA is the only locked 2500+. Until the newer ones.

Looks more like its any Barton after week 43 builds that are getting locked. Doesn't matter whether its a AQXEA, AQYFA, etc.
    Its the 0343 (after the AQXEA, etc.) you'd would look at.
    0331 is a week 31
    0343 is a week 43

You can check the link Here

That matches up with my CPU - it's a week 43.

Sorry to hear about that.

But, look at the bright side. You really won't be using the multiplier over 11 anyway.
    Nobody will, unless you're using an older mobo to where you can only raise the fsb up to 166 without having any problems. Such as my Epox 8k3a+

True, although an 11.5x multiplier would be pretty handy

Actually even the board that survived is still having problems. I get a black screen with a flashing curser sometimes when I try and get into the bios. Over all this chip has really caused me problems even though I am no longer using it on this board. Any clues why?

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Imperion1

But, look at the bright side. You really won't be using the multiplier over 11 anyway.
    Nobody will, unless you're using an older mobo to where you can only raise the fsb up to 166 without having any problems. Such as my Epox 8k3a+
    But for the peeps like myself, who only have PC2700 memory, the unlcoked multi sure does help.

Originally posted by Imperion1

Well I'm using it on my 2600 Barton. I have it running at 200X12 so I needed a clock cycle higher then 11

Reason why I moved my old 2500+ to the 8k3a+ board, its using PC2700 and the highest I can get the fsb set to is 166. If I go any higher then the PCI/AGP fsb raise also. No way to lock these on the mobo.