Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the fx 5700 ultra

the fx 5700 ultra

Ive read that this card is basically the same as the radeon 9600 xt. What i want to know is should i replace my ti4200 for the fx 5700 ultra. Also before i replace it I want to know if there will be a 256mb version of the fx 5700 ultra releasing because I think that would be better in the long run.
    Antec P160 Case
    Core 2 Duo e6400
    2 GB Corsair XMS Dual Channel
    GeForce 7900GT (eVGA)
    Hiper 580 W SLI supporting psu
    250 GB Seagate SATA2 7200rpm
    ECS nforce 570 motherboard

i read the reviews for the fx 5700 with the new nvidia drivers, and its supposedly better than the ati radeon 9600 pro (NOT XT) in benchmarks, but who knows the ati's catalyst 3.9 drivers may provide a performance increase!

id either get the 9600 XT or the 5700

but the bonus of the 9600XT is a copy of half life 2

Originally posted by ComPooTer
    but the bonus of the 9600XT is a copy of half life 2
    And faster DX9 support.
    yo trick, why you so **** doofus?

it's a great card that will actually run dx9 games well. and if you want to be able to play doom III at good frame rates u better grab that 5700 quick

Originally posted by iceblue
    it's a great card that will actually run dx9 games well. and if you want to be able to play doom III at good frame rates u better grab that 5700 quick
    There goes that doom 3 line again. What makes you think you need a 5700 to get good framerates out of a game that's not even due out for nearly half a year? Last tests I saw were run on an alpha version of D3. When the tests were run ATi was only up to Cat 3.2.

Oh, one more thing. Why should he "grab that 5700 quick"? Is there something you know that you're not telling us? Is the 5700 limited edition? Is Doom 3 coming out tomorrow? Inquiring minds want to know.

i cant even find the 5700 anywhere.....

Originally posted by dime1622
    i cant even find the 5700 anywhere.....
    That's because it hasn't even hit retail yet. But you better get one quick!!!

Originally posted by Plaster
    There goes that doom 3 line again. What makes you think you need a 5700 to get good framerates out of a game that's not even due out for nearly half a year? Last tests I saw were run on an alpha version of D3. When the tests were run ATi was only up to Cat 3.2.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc0LDE= and no, they were not "only up to Cat 3.2" when this was bench'd.

fyi: the 5700 has already hit retail.

Originally posted by iceblue
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc0LDE= and no, they were not "only up to Cat 3.2" when this was bench'd.

fyi: the 5700 has already hit retail.
    We pulled back to the driver versions for all cards based on Catalyst v3.2.
    Those numbers are with the 3.2. At that point in time the higest was 3.4 and according to that article, it had a bug that would render the alpha Doom 3 more unplayable than it already was. So while there have only been 4 driver releases since the article there are 5 from the driver he used.

As for the retail availability of the 5700 Ultra, it hasn't hit retail yet. It's landed there with a soggy thud.

According to evga.com's own website, it was released Oct. 26. I wouldn't expect seeing it online or other retail stores untill at least Nov. 1, which really isn't a long time.

Here's the site: http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=152

Is the 5700 card a limited edition though, and does anyone think it will come out in 256mb version. And you said get the xt over the 5700, but i think the xt is only 128mb.
    Antec P160 Case
    Core 2 Duo e6400
    2 GB Corsair XMS Dual Channel
    GeForce 7900GT (eVGA)
    Hiper 580 W SLI supporting psu
    250 GB Seagate SATA2 7200rpm
    ECS nforce 570 motherboard

No, it's not Limited edition. I just asked that to be sarcastic because he said you better get it quick. There may or may not be a 256mb version. I don't really think it will make that much of a difference either way. 128MB is more than enough.

I'm going to give you the best advice you're going to get. Hold onto the 4200 for a while. It's plenty fast enough for games on the market ATM. Pick up a new card early next year. You may be able to get a 9800Pro for around $250 as early as January.

Originally posted by bob05
    According to evga.com's own website, it was released Oct. 26. I wouldn't expect seeing it online or other retail stores untill at least Nov. 1, which really isn't a long time.

Here's the site: http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=152
    Saw it at Bestbuy yesterday
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

If you are buying a new video card definately go with the 9600pro or 9600XT. From nearly all the benchmarks I have seen they perform about equal to the FX5700 with everything off, and take the lead once AA and AF is bumped up. If it were me I would hold off untill sometime early next year and grab a 9800pro/XT once the prices dip a bit.

Im not sure if the FX5700 is launched or not, but I can't find it for sale. How much does it retail for?

Best Buy is doing the FX5700 for $199 after a $20 rebate.

It's a lot better than the FX5600, and easily comparable to the 9600 XT in DX8 class games, but I would go ATI for DX9 performance.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].