Thread: Gettin the HS offa PII cartridges

Ultimate Member

Gettin the HS offa PII cartridges

Been canablising a few bits and bobs from work today that ive nabbed 'out of the back door' and ive managed to pull a PII300 from the rubble, now im not really interested in the CPU itself, i am however very interested in the whoppin great HS attached to the side of the cart. only question is i cant see how to get it off. There are a couple of allen-key liek mountings but other than that i cant see anything, any ideas?

Cheers

--Jakk

Take the allen/star drive bolts out. If it is still together, use the freezer for awhile incase they were generous with whatever thermal adhesive may be on there. Since your not worried about the CPU, pry away.

Ultimate Member
    Cheers

Bit before my time these P2 thing-a-mabobs

--Jakk

They were a good CPU in their day.

Ah, the pace of technology.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    The Intel P2-P3 Slot processors did NOT use allen screws.

They are Torx #5 socket head screws.

If you use any other removal method, then you will destroy the screws.

I still have several of the original Alpha heatsinks that dwarf the ones available today. The Slot 1 processors put out an awful lot of heat when they were running at 100% power.

Ultimate Member
    The Slot 1 processors put out an awful lot of heat when they were running at 100% power.
    Quite so.

600MHz Katmai, awful thing

Anyway jakk, prying the back cover off with a flathead screwdriver (where the plastic meets the metal on the side) will give you access to the back; SECC1 has two little clips that need to be taken off in order for you to remove the steel plate from the CPU. The heatsink attaches to the steel plate with the torx screws.

Normally, the cache chips aren't cooled, and two thermal interfaces exist, degrading performance. Quite a poor interface, mind but the sheer size of the aluminum allows for great cooling potential, once you separate it from the steel plate