Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: with new hardware comes new problems...

Hybrid View

with new hardware comes new problems...

Recently, I purchased an AIW 9600 Pro. Finally came today, and I unpacked it, the card installed OK, same w/ the remote wonder. So, I fire up Halo, raise the resolution to 1024x768, and get a huge slowdown. I tried to lower the resolution, but it crashed Halo.
    Next, I try to run the Savage Demo. It would not run at all.
    UT2K3 Ran, but seemed to have no improvements. The splinter cell demo also ran, but was definately of less quality than when I used my Geforce3 Ti500.
    3dMark2001SE gave me 9000 odd 3d marks.
    3DMark2003(build 340) gave me 3236 3d marks.

The benches seem to suggest nothing is wrong, but the games suggest otherwise. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

what res were you running at before?
    probably don't have to tell you but Halo on PC
    is major slowwwww anyway.

it was running very well at 800 x 600 before.

hmmm...

Have you made any driver changes at all?
    (the new Catalyst 3.9 drivers are out for
    Radeon cards btw...)

have you tried making a fresh install of windows?

Gone
    "3dMark2001SE gave me 9000 odd 3d marks"

"The benches seem to suggest nothing is wrong, but the games suggest otherwise."

Uh-they do? I got 9k 3dmarks with my 8500 that is a generation older. I think thats low for a 9600. 10k or up better.

Ultimate Member
    Try relaxing your AA/AF and Vsync settings

--Jakk

Have you made any driver changes at all?
    I've been using 3.9 the whole time.

have you tried making a fresh install of windows?
    not yet, I'd rather avoid this one if possible.
    Uh-they do? I got 9k 3dmarks with my 8500 that is a generation older. I think thats low for a 9600. 10k or up better.
    All I'm concerning myself w/ now is that the benches run. the performance seemed a little bit better on 2001se and a lot better on 2003. this is one of my concerns though.

Try relaxing your AA/AF and Vsync settings
    I don't think I have any enabled. What are the default settings?

Ultimate Member
    Not sure of the defaults but you'll find the details under the 3d tab in display control panel, for benchmarking purposes Anisotropic Filtering, Anti-Aliasing and Vsync should all be set to off

--Jakk

i get 9000 on 3dmark01 and 3300 on 3dmark03 with my sapphire 9600 pro. the nvidia drivers can screw you up, even if you thought you uninstalled them. i got 8000 on 3dmark before i reformatted my HDD with my new 9600 pro. the default driver settings should be fine - thats what i use. i recommend reinstalling windows. that should do it. the nvidia drivers are probably messing you up.

palomino 1800+
    2x256 PC2100
    maxtor 60gig
    hercules fortissimo 7.1
    sapphire 9600 pro
    generic 300watt PSU
    SUPER COMPUTER

palomino 1800+
    ECS K7VMM+ (VIA KM266)
    Hercules fortissimo 7.1
    Maxtor 60gig 7200 2mb
    bfg asylum g4mx440-SE @ 340, 410
    crappy 17" monitor (1280x1024)

Gone
    I had that going from Voodoo3 to G3. So I have experienced driver conflicts aswell. I also recomend trying that as a last resort.

"All I'm concerning myself w/ now is that the benches run. the performance seemed a little bit better on 2001se and a lot better on 2003. this is one of my concerns though."

2001se is dx8.1
    2003 is dx9
    9600 is dx9 card. Now which SHOULD it bench better in. Uh-dx9. Dx8 isnt too much stronger in the new generations of cards from both nvidia and ati. But nvidia a little faster at dx8 and ati DEF. faster at dx9. That help???? Bascially your useing ati's new dx9 features in that test so it helps tons with the bench. DX8 can only be improved now by adding more RAW power-not enhancments as dx8 is already spec'd and layed out. dx9 was co developed by ati and developed by M$. So ATI was behind the scenes on the new dx9. And hence seem to be taking better advantage of the features. I think when Nvidia didnt drop priceing on G3 for XBOX it really PO Bill Gates. He's going ati on next XBOX and even told nvidia that! Then DX9 gets developed together. I think xbox2 will rock if ati and M$ work together. Nvidia didnt do much more than hand Billy a card and say-we'll mod it "SOME"-oh you wnat a price break too-LOL go away, so he did.... ATI's is gonna do it full swing and go all out for the $. I garuntee it.

well, I reinstalled windows. Halo works now, although not as well as it perhaps could(MS 's fault.)

however, I cannot run the call of duty single player demo. This was the only DX9 game I could think to test. Any other suggestions(that have free demos/benchmarks?)

homeworld 2, savage demo, gun metal 2. these all have free demos you can download and im pretty sure theyre all dx9.
    SUPER COMPUTER

palomino 1800+
    ECS K7VMM+ (VIA KM266)
    Hercules fortissimo 7.1
    Maxtor 60gig 7200 2mb
    bfg asylum g4mx440-SE @ 340, 410
    crappy 17" monitor (1280x1024)

Originally posted by maje87c
    well, I reinstalled windows. Halo works now, although not as well as it perhaps could(MS 's fault.)

however, I cannot run the call of duty single player demo. This was the only DX9 game I could think to test. Any other suggestions(that have free demos/benchmarks?)
    Call of Duty uses Quake III's engine (OpenGL I think, not even OpenGL 1.4). Anyway Homeworld 2's demo is a Direct X 9 game. Here's a link for it: ftp://ftp1.sierra.com/pub/sierra/hom...orld2_demo.exe

Tron 2.0 is also Direct X 9: http://www.gamesdomain.com/demos/demo/1878.html

P.S. I get the same FPS on Savage with my Geforce FX 5200 as I did Geforce 2 MX, I think they have some serious coding issues. On their forums every other thread is a performance issue (so much so in fact that they made a separate section specifically for Performance related issues. ).

well, Tron 2.0 was very good looking. Noticeably better than it was before. The Homeworld 2 demo does not work. I installed it, and every time I try to run it, the screen goes blank, as if changing the resolution, then reverts to whatever it was at before.