Thread: The difference in AMD?

The difference in AMD?

I also way wanted to know...
    what is the difference in the Duron, Athlon and Athlon XP chips?

FSB, cache and real clock w/ the same rating....

hot , even hotter , dangerously hot!
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Cores, caches, and of course clock speeds are different.

OD, I don't know about that - doesn't the XP have a lower power draw than the initial Athlons?

Nope the Palamino runs as cool as myself (rotflmao) compared to thoroughbreds (cough cough) like JM , Mireland et al !

Did some tests last week and some this week on the various cores.

I stuck em on a thread somewhere in overclocking forum.

Which core of xp you mean the B class XP?

I havent tested the latests chip
    if you have some tests that would be interesting.
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

The XP's do run cool, but when you get to the higher speeds, they do get hot due to the wattage needed due losses at high speeds with current manufacturing techniques. So now you get more heat, no longer is a die strinkage enough to keep things cool, they need new technologies to go hand in hand with the die shrinkage, unfortunately all the easy tricks have been used obviously. Intel now holds the heat crown for a stock CPU though with the 3.2C, and they are planning on releasing a 3.4C now. That will be bloody hot.

Gone
    Originally posted by omendata
    Nope the Palamino runs as cool as myself (rotflmao) compared to thoroughbreds (cough cough) like JM , Mireland et al !

Did some tests last week and some this week on the various cores.

I stuck em on a thread somewhere in overclocking forum.

Which core of xp you mean the B class XP?

I havent tested the latests chip
    if you have some tests that would be interesting.
    You quack me up man. A tbread has one more metal layer, it DOESNT RUN HOTTER> It is what allowed AMD to hit 2200+ that was IMPOSSIBLE on the palo stable. So oh yeah deff hotter-tya right! Run a Tbred A at same MHZ AS THE PALO and you will see who is cooler. LOL if the XP is drawing 25% more watts to drive higher mhz it will be hot-but still not hotter. My 900 palo here hits 50-55c load AT STOCK and its gotta 80mm blower on the HS.. My 2500+ barton hums along at 45c max on prime and is oclocked to 3200+! Tbred B with 512 l2 is all a barton is.Same # of metal layers and all. Shrunk die to .13 so as to allow room for the extra l2 cache. The die shrink didnt help heat but was for room. Why cause the smaller die area now has harder time releasing heat-no spreader to carry it. So copper slugged HSF are needed now. Not cause they are hotter-cause the are smaller are to conduct from. Thermal conduction is a betch cause some air is always inbetwen these HSF and the core.

Palo's run coler than XP's -Sheesh. Next thing you know passenger jets are faster than F-16's right.

Cheeky bugger

Im running the test on one kt7a board and one Asus and
    the results I get are exactly what i said - the palomino is cooler

Maybe you're just such an expert obviously and have superhumanly cooled yer chip. But by the looks of yer temps perhaps not!

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...light=palomino

My barton is pretty cold. But look at my Volts. One of them is way off?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gone
    " But by the looks of yer temps perhaps not!"

Whats wrong with my temps. They is pretty dang good for air cooling so super cool this!

"Im running the test on one kt7a board and one Asus and
    the results I get are exactly what i said - the palomino is cooler"

Uh-how about useing the same mobo LOL. How not specific can you be. Thats so unrealiable for testing. Two mobo's use two diff heat sensors and not even two of the same boards will give ya same temps. Learn how the thermal sensor is implemented! Secondly use the EXACT same mobo-same mhz and same vcore so the watts are =. Then you can compair JUST the core diff. And I KNOW first hand from the chips I have here the tbred A and especially B is cooler. The palo ran hotter than the 1600+ in the SAME mobo not two diff ones like your testing. LOL.

I have
    Duron 1gig Morgan core
    Palo 900
    XP tbred A 1600+
    XP tbred A 2200+
    XP Barton 2500+
    I know the temp diff between a Tbred B and a Palo. And if palo is cooler uber techy then why not a 2600+ or 2800+ palo. Why? Cause tbred is cooler allowing higher overall mhz by ading one more metal layer to cpu substraite. The core wasnt changed other than layer of metal-no new pipes or alterations. Not even a die shrink or extra L2. Till B models. Then it was .13 but not the extra L2 (it was preperation for bartons needing room for x2 L2 a test if you will)which shrunk die making less surface area for thermal conduction needing copper core HS but overall lower temps yielded as a whole.

Instead of saying just cause where is your proof. I can get you 100 articles and reviews that say your wrong. Just the fact no palo was made at 2200+ proves it alone. I can do testing here on THE SAME MOBO and prove you wrong-want screen grabs Ill give em. I just want your rpoof and if its true (which its not) why they stopped the Palo core then. I already know the answer do you?

Gone
    Originally posted by Benssax
    My barton is pretty cold. But look at my Volts. One of them is way off?
    Id say its grabbing the wrong sensor and its really the -3.3v line. Why -dunno.

Sounds like your the uber techy - uber yer own ***

The test i did were originally on eone board if yed bothered to read the link

then i did the same test on a different motherboard to just make sure

You tone is most condescening and dismissive - its fannies like you that put people off boards like these with yer smug attitude and platitiudes.

If oyu'd botheredto read the other thread you would see that i am not into overclocking anymore because its more risky with AMD chips and apart from that a waste of time so i wasnt claiming to be any type of expert unlike yersel

So go away wee man and bile yer heid ya twat!

P4 GAMER (Says it all really - away and play with yer games and leave the help to friendly and helpful real world engineers)
    Last edited by omendata; 11-15-2003 at 07:00 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Now now ladies, bit less of the handbags please. Repeat after me:

'Calm Blue Ocean, Calm Blue Ocean, Calm Blue Ocean,...' (etc etc)

--Jakk