Thread: Next Gen Video Cards

Next Gen Video Cards

I heard a rumor that the next video cards (coming out in about 6 months from now) are going to be PCI-Express and not AGP.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Gone
    BS. PCI express can run AGP though with a adaptor and in the top slot only I believe. With 0 mainboard out right now having that and the new form factor that would be a very unwise move. They couldnt afford to be out of 2 or so cycles of card sales due to majority not having mobo's to support them. And video market is cut throat-the guys still making agp would dominate sales! AGP will be still made even after pci express is out. Heck pci is still dogging it out! LOL.

yeah i agree. i actually heard that theyre gonna make two different versions of the nextgen cards(AGP & PCIex). but ive always wondered - todays high end cards only sometimes make use of AGP4x, much less AGP8x. how will the ultra bandwidth of PCI express help the performance?
    SUPER COMPUTER

palomino 1800+
    ECS K7VMM+ (VIA KM266)
    Hercules fortissimo 7.1
    Maxtor 60gig 7200 2mb
    bfg asylum g4mx440-SE @ 340, 410
    crappy 17" monitor (1280x1024)

i guess the trend will not be PCIex or AGPXX but the video cards itself having dual GPU's....... look out XGI VOLARI is coming
    Last edited by cyber_gubat; 11-12-2003 at 06:51 PM.

yeah i think XGI is catchin on to something. and their current top model is only $300. i would imagine that drivers suck though, but if they had a bunch of people on their driver team and could make good drivers, i believe their hardware can shine. there's a review of a couple of XGI cards at Tom's hardware, and the top one performs between a 9700 pro and 9800 pro - except for the places the drivers have bugs.
    SUPER COMPUTER

palomino 1800+
    ECS K7VMM+ (VIA KM266)
    Hercules fortissimo 7.1
    Maxtor 60gig 7200 2mb
    bfg asylum g4mx440-SE @ 340, 410
    crappy 17" monitor (1280x1024)

So Does this mean the 'next gen' graphics cards will fit PCI slots? Hope so since my dell doesn't have an AGP slot
    Sean

They might, but you'd most likely be wasting your money on it due to the highly limited bandwidth.

Gone
    YEa, PCI is about as fast as its gonna get. Faster GPU and mem is a waiste on that SLOOOOW PCI bus. Xpress is overkill right now for video. Like mentioned 8x hardly does a dang thing. THis is about changing mobo's and making $ that simple. Only scsi and arrays of multiple gigaethernet cards will benefit.
    Last edited by $1500-P4 gamer; 11-12-2003 at 05:39 PM.