Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is 2, 2 many on firewalls?

Is 2, 2 many on firewalls?

I have a Linkysys DSL/Router, networked to my pc's. I'm also running Norton Firewall as well. A friend of mine told me that the router has a firewall built in the router itself (I didnt' see anything on the install disc).

He told me I didn't need Norton, it was just overkill. Will the NPF give extra security or should I remove it or disable it.

Any comments?

Well, if you need to use two firewalls it usually means that one of them is not doing it's job properly! Your router will probably use Network Address Translation (NAT), wich provides you extra security, not allowing your IP to be known on the Internet (among other things) and prevent all unsolicited inbound accesses to your machine.

Ultimate Member
    My router has a NAT firewall also, and I still run a software firewall.

I figure, in todays age of virus and hacker infections, it can't hurt to be doubly safe.

Firewalls are tricky things, the one in your router, just as bassman said, is just a NAT translator, but you should definitely have a software firewall on your system, especially if you are running any fileshare software such as KaZaA, or Gnutella, filesharing with out a good firewall is like unprotected sex with hookers, you may be clean for a while but its just a matter of time.................................

But the router does nothing to stop unwanted or unknown outgoing, and will not stop incoming to those same programs because the router would consider the reply legetimate (requested).....I like to know what programs are sending information out to the web, I'm sure it would help you detect spyware and trojans in between scans and so on. If you install alot of software like I do, the software firewall is a must have.

IMO

Thx for the tip! I'll probably keep it to play it safe. I install alot of programs and I share files with friends. I also run Ad-aware frequently to find any spyware.

A very helpful thread, Thanks guys!

Ultimate Member
    Yup, i always run a software and hardware firewall, it may not be entirely necessary, but its always another layer of protection in an ever hostile world

--Jakk

I currently have two Nats. One with my linksys router and the other with then cruddy router/dsl modem that msn gives you.

As for software fire wall. You really do not need one as long as you know what you are running. If you go out and try new programs and do file sharing then it is a must.

Linksys routers do not generally include a firewall. Rather, it is an optional downloadable(for a price) addon. This is probably why you do not recall seeing anything about a firewall on the install disk. Thouter a router only does offer some protection, a hardware firewall is much better, better than a software firewall too. A hardware firewall can stop traffic at the router, your pc would never see the traffic. You can leave your system wideopen and be completely protected from outside intrusion when a hardware firewall is positioned between your pc and the modem. A software firewall runs on your pc, your pc sees all the traffic. Any exploit that manages to get thru the software firewall on your PC, gets thru to your PC. Any exploit that gets thru a hardware firewall, gets thru to the router itself, not beyond. Though there are ways, it is very difficult to get into the lan from outside a hardware firewall.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Picard
    Linksys routers do not generally include a firewall.
    Erm they do, though you usally have to pay a bit more for em. For example my Linksys BEFSX41 is basically BESFR41 with added security features, and the BEFSR41 includes a firewall anyhows

the built-in NAT technology acts as a firewall protecting your internal network.
    though i dont think its as configurable as the BEFSX41's, which for an extra fiver, was well worth the money IMO

--Jakk

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Erm they do, though you usally have to pay a bit more for em. For example my Linksys BEFSX41 is basically BESFR41 with added security features, and the BEFSR41 includes a firewall anyhows

though i dont think its as configurable as the BEFSX41's, which for an extra fiver, was well worth the money IMO

--Jakk
    I am quite sure they don't generally. The befsx41 is the only router linksys offers that does have a firewall. Having only one model out of many is not sufficient to dispute my statement that linksys routers do not generally have firewalls.

Ultimate Member
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that almost every Linksys router has NAT firewall capabilities built into it. I know I have set up several different models that do.

Ultimate Member
    The BEFSX41 is NOT the only Linksys router with a firewall, as i mentioned in my previous post the BEFSR41 which is a pretty standard/run of the mill model includes firewall protection via NAT

--Jakk

Firewalls are only half the issue

If you have your system locked down well enough a simple firewall is adequate.

I use XP's built in firewall on one machine since it came out and locked the system down and have never had an infection/compromise.

Install Critical Updates
    Secure the registry
    Antivirus
    Kill all dangerous services - Messenger , Browser , Server , Workstation etc etc etc

Plenty more where they came from...
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!