Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft to Change IE Browser

Pity the members of whatever forum sanity uses to deposit his pearls of Truth and Wisdom

Does he think I'm an idiot? I'm using it right now in the latest version and it's screwed up.

Somehow, bigotry only works one way for him.

"There is no one more idiotic than the poor soul who does not agree with you."

Boy, that guy needs to calm down. Anyway back to the idea of the topic, any (calm) thoughts would be appreciated.

OK, how's this?

What should Microsoft employ in their new browser? A 'pause loading page' button? I've always wanted one of those because I have a modem.

The reason is I when I try to load mutiple pages in different windows it takes a painstakingly long time. I would rather be able to tap into pages all at once while being able to controll which page loads first. That way, I could read one page while the other is loading without loseing all the progress from the original load.

One thing they do need for sure: tabs.

I don't know where I would be without Opera's tabs, I hate the way I.E. fills the taskbar with different windows.

It also needs pop-up and ad blocking as a standard feature, I don't want to have to install third party stuff and have that running in my systray or Googlebar (spyware).

Crikey I always miss the interesting posts.

I have to admit I use all manner of browsers but always come back to ie because it supports some of my most essential add-ons

Google toolbar , Roboform , ie-addons , xenobar etc

I used to be a Netscape only guy but it became really slow and turgid after navigator...

Sad to say it but IE does follow w3c standards and most sites are deisgned and tested round it and netscape.

We have many browsers to choose from enigma , phoenix , opera , neoplanet - i guess its just what works best for you.
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

I was using Netscape like most people till MS Come out with IE..... the original wasn't as good as Netscape. IE II was a big fix as was III but I switched with II, I just thoust MS was responding faster. I've tried about 4 versions of Opera ... No Thanks. I'd love something better than IE, just haven't found it. I do agree with Mr. Ranter though... MS does not follow rules or standards, they think they set them.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

I'm using Firebird too... can't see it screwing up Sysyopt's pages

I'm using Firebird too... and I don't see Firebird rendering SysOpt as hideously as Mm9004 mentioned here... I don't know about what goes on beneath the hood, true, but looking at SysOpt with both Firebird and IE, I can see no significant rendering differences (only that the spacing between the top banner and the page's body is not the same)... they both look just as good to me... or just as bad (depending on whether you are of the "glass half-full" or "glass half-empty" type).

Apart from a few bugs (which one would expect from a beta), I wouldn't be surprised if Firebird becomes my browser of choice. Heck, I can even stop Flash animations from loading (and select ONLY those I want to see with a click of the mouse), which is a blessing since I am on dial-up...

No MS-bahsing-mentality here... I've used IE on a daily basis for years until last week. If MS can come up with something better, I'll switch back... maybe

Dag nabit.. I missed the whole "sanity" episode.. speaking of which, he seems to have serious issues.. Glad he took em somewhere else..

Back to topic.. I've used IE forever.. that said, I've tried Moz and opera and I have to say I enjoy the tab feature the most. I hope M$ decides to implement that in their next version.

I have no trouble with Moz and Opera most of the time.. but then I run into a site that just wont render properly or wont open all the way.. And so i turn back to IE and as my favs are mostly stored there, I end up surfing with IE..

i too am looking for something better, but I seem to have to give up certain features if I switch browsers. Fancy mentioned MyIE, and I still have to try that out..

On the subject of M$'s compliance with the rules and regulation, let's not fool ourselves, they're in court all the time with some judge telling them to abide by the rules, not make them as they go along.. But, what are you gonna do.. as long as somebody keeps an eye on them....

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?" - C. Stoll

When you're as powerful as MS, you do set alot of rules. Not all.

As for the Moz deal: It probably renders better on other PCs. The rason I complain is as I type this, it resides a space that would fill the screen on 800x600 pixels. But on 1024x768 It centers it in the middel of the screen and doesn't re-size it like MSIE.

Moz Re-sizes alot of things but not all. And since nearly all web pages today are made with MSIE in mind, it's not as easy to write a browser that will render pages perfectly because you find yourself trying really hard to conform to MSIEs way of doing things.

I guess I ought to download Firebird 0.7. That could take care of the problems. If not, I'll submit a bug report.

But right now, Advertisements are over-laping the Sysopt URLs.

I installed Norton Internet Security 2004 today and all of the top banners and ads have gone.

The site looks like it did when I got here 2 years ago ...clean.

Ultimate Member
    Based on my experience, IE has followed what I wanted it to do, while other browsers have screwed up. Sorry.

I have seen this change for the better, but the latest builds of Netscape and Mozilla STILL do not render things the way I want them to without me having to improvise and compensate. I know many other developers who agree.

I do not think IE is the most intuitive browser, it is far from it. However, it still follows the W3C the closest. Anybody who disagrees doesn't have a clue as to what they're talking about - look in the W3C docs for yourselves!

As far as useability, Mozilla outstrips IE and other browsers. But it still suffers from the Netscape "disease."

I read somewhere the other day that AOL has stopped developement of Netscape.

I did too, I think they want to sell
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro