Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft to Change IE Browser

Microsoft to Change IE Browser

Looks to me like Microsoft could be getting upset about all the other challenges to their browser.

Now, I'm not saying that Microsoft does a poor job with their software, far from it (otherwise they wouldn't be number one). What I am saying is that thanks to all kinds of competition, Microsoft now has a greater abition to progress, and make their software better. Someone else thought they could do it better. And Microsoft doesn't like being second best, they simply won't stand for it.

Makes the consumer happy.

yeah, but now that we have the holes in the current IE patched, how many are going to spring up in the new one?

The holes will always be there!

Any software that M$ users connect to the internet with will always have flaws and those flaws will always be exploited ...it's a corporate thing.

IE has the biggest userbase in the world and so is the tastiest target for hackers and such (you can affect more ppl with one program). I haven't use IE for over a year (although I still have it installed as back-up and keep it updated), so I don't have as many security headaches.

Opera all the way!

This is a welcomed change. Now if Microsoft allows you to block/allow select ActiveX controls that would be awesome ex allow only acrobat reader, shockwave.

Re: Microsoft to Change IE Browser

How gracious of them to update their product, even after having "won the browser wars."

Originally posted by Mm9004
    Now, I'm not saying that Microsoft does a poor job with their software, far from it (otherwise they wouldn't be number one).
    Sigh. Microsoft does a poor job with much of their software. A lot of this has to do with the politics between their marketing department and their developers/designers, but I won't get into that.
    1.) They don't have a pop-up blocker option in IE. This is so simple to implement, and it's been in other browsers for over a year.
    2.) Millions of newbies have pop up software that was installed on their computer by Active X. Hello? A protocol that installs things on your computer just because you requested a URL? Idiotic.
    3.) IE runs slower than Mozilla or Firebird even though it is "integrated" into the OS. This is absurd.
    4.) If you knew anything about MS's software dev division you would not say the quote above. MS's apps division is completely separate from its OS division and is more about marketing than technical superiority.
    5.) Regarding only WWW browsers, just try Mozilla Firebird (version .6x, and already it is faster loading/rendering than IE). It is stable except for a few small bugs, and doesn't have many features yet but already I think you will find it to be preferable to IE. And yes, it has a popup blocker and you can block images from any domain you like.

Microsoft has lagged terribly in browser innovation for year(s), but for some reason you are happy when they throw a crumb after year(s) of stagnation, instead of being enraged that they have sat on their asses for so long. But they know they can sit on their asses because most of their users will blindly fire up IE time after time, no matter how much hell Active X raises, no matter, how slow IE renders pages, and no matter how little features IE has, and despite the fact that IE really is one of the least "user-friendly" browsers.

Ultimate Member
    All I can say is that IE follows the rules set by the W3C more strictly than any other browser, and this helps the developer tremendously.

Most people just look on the surface and don't see that. Mozilla may be more user-friendly, but it doesn't predictably render pages.

Pop-up blocker? Use ad-aware or the google toolbar. Much more effective than any built-in thing anyway.

Originally posted by causticVapor
    All I can say is that IE follows the rules set by the W3C more strictly than any other browser, and this helps the developer tremendously.
    You are trying to [*-deleted word-*] me off. Your statement is completely backwards. IE makes up its own tags. The scrollbar enhancements are not W3C. And ummm actually for a few months after the CSS standards were published and accepted by all browsers, IE was for a long time the only browser that did not correctly implement the "positioning" styles. And although I personaly think Opera is a bloated piece of [*-deleted word-*] these days, it is still _the_ most standards-compliant browser.

I am not a knee-jerk "anti-Microsoft bigot," and I have no problem giving a nod to their relative acheivments. Defending the "merits" of Internet Explorer is laughable. Haha, I'm laughing at you. The idea that anyone actually believes that IE is the most standards-compliant browser is ... just... well, have you ever met anyone who thinks the CDROM is a coffee-cup holder? It's kind of like that. It's _that_ funny. I bet you swallow all the marketing about their server benchmarks... like how it's the fastest server sw (yes, for static html. Name a large site that serves static html...).

If IE renders "predictably" to you, that just means you're more used to it. After you do nearly ALL of your site testing on IE, suddenly you double-check with another browser, and then you conclude, "omg it works on IE, why doesn't it work on {browser}?" Jesus.

Mozilla renders beautifully. I hope you have used a late version of Mozilla and are not equating Netscape with Mozilla (especially Communicator, as that was a terrible browser).

Most people just look on the surface and don't see that.
    So, you are basically implying that you look "under the surface," right? Hoo boy....

Pop-up blocker? Use ad-aware or the google toolbar. Much more effective than any built-in thing anyway.
    Oh, my bad. So, whatever deficiency IE has, we can just make up for it in whatever way possible. My bad, I thought we were discussing the pros and cons of a browser, but it seems you just want to find a way to annoint IE no matter what problems it has. "Gee, it doesn't do this and this, but that doesn't mean its bad, I'll just make up for it by adding another third party program which I'm not even sure I can trust."

(*** Polite language only please *** - WSUA 3. a.)
    Last edited by Vernon Frazee; 10-19-2003 at 02:24 PM.

geez, slow down man

ie may no be the best, but that doesnt make it bad!

... its just that the rest are better.

most of the world uses ie and is very happy with it, as am I

maybe others are better, and maybe one day i might try another browser, but for now im sticking witth ie because its never given me any problems.

stop ranting about and adequate piece of software!

calm down

ichorid, um, why are you on an optimization site?

Just admit you're wrong.

Jeebus! and I thought I was the epitomy of anti microsoft resentment.

Go here and rant to your hearts content, you'll be among kindred spirits.

you may have to enter the first four letters of the address manually ...it's the swear word beginning with "F" and the sysopt swear filter sometimes edits it out.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 10-09-2003 at 05:06 PM.

I am not anti-microsoft. Read the friggin' post. I provide information. It really is maddening that you fire off such a one-liner after I go to all the trouble to provide backup for my claims, and I make it clear that I am not blindly anti-MS. You are a tool.

Okay so you don't like I.E and possibly with good reason, but that doesn't give you the right to jump on anybody that doesn't agree with what you say. Just 'cause you don't like I.E does not mean everybody else has to dislike it too. It's called freedom of choice you [*-deleted word-*]. Why am I not surprised your looking for a girfriend? because you have a dictatorial attitude, is why!

You wanted more than one line, you got it!

Last edited by Vernon Frazee; 10-19-2003 at 02:26 PM.

5.) Regarding only WWW browsers, just try Mozilla Firebird (version .6x, and already it is faster loading/rendering than IE). It is stable except for a few small bugs, and doesn't have many features yet but already I think you will find it to be preferable to IE. And yes, it has a popup blocker and you can block images from any domain you like.
    I'm not an idiot sanity. I used Mozilla Firebird to post the first message. I just happen to be one of those reasonable people who don't blindly stab at Microsoft because I want everything to be perfect.

Do you know why there are so many holes in microsoft? because no idiot hacker is going to exploit defects in Mozilla, iRider, Netscapes etc., and Opora. IE is the most commonly used browser and therefore the one that most hackers attack. The reason people like you hate it is because it's just the target ALL hackers aim at. Thats why there are so many problems. Chances are Mozilla Firebird (the one I'm using now) has ten times as many holes as IE because they have never had the displeasure of being tested by the net.

The reason IE runs so slow is because it's doing its best to protect you. In the end, who has a better chance of survival?

The greatest Browser on earth going against the whole world wide web... or a meager browser that manages to get by because the greatest browser ever is drawing all the fire?

Mozilla doesn't render even sysopt.com properly. If you were paying attention, you would have seen that before you made that post.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo.

It's tempting. But I won't. I'm done.
    I'm done with this site. Enjoy your video games and pop tarts.

I _refuse_ to spit out more facts when I just wasted my time doing so and end up with 3 people calling me a blind bigot. Meanwhile you counter my factual statements with your faithful statements. Anything negative about MS is deemed bigotry and blind hatred. You people are _all_ tools. You _don't_get_it_.

I just loaded this site with Firebird next to IE 5 and firebird actually renders it _better_. DID I MENTION IT'S IN BETA?
    You are a [*-deleted word-*] idiot*. Backlash all you want, I'm DONE.

I'm done!

Last edited by Vernon Frazee; 10-19-2003 at 02:29 PM.

Goodbye!