Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do gamer really need huge hd?

Do gamer really need huge hd?

I have tons game and I'm doing fine with 40 gb 7,200 rpm hd. Wtf is up with gamer with 2x 250 gb hd?

Whatever size works for you is great. I have a 40 gig 5400 RPM Maxtor and that is plenty space for me. I have about 10 Gigs left, and thats with 16+ games installed that I don't even play anymore. Many gamers however have MP3 collections and other things that may hog up space. Personally the only thing that hogs up space for me are game demo installers that I forget to delete. IMO you really only need a 20 Gig hdd for gaming. But that's if gaming is all that you are doing.

I would like to have a SATA 20gb x2 with 8mb cache and in raid 0. That would be perfect for me. But nada $ also don't think that kind of hd exist.

If you have enough room to hold everything you want, having extra won't help.

2x40 GB 7200RPM
    80GB 7200RPM

All maxtors, currently I have...

40GB > 6.39 free
    40GB > 19.31 free
    80GB > 59.08 free

I have about 18GBs of music (about 2500 songs from pressplay and cd's), about 10GB of music videos and episodes of shows I've downloaded like The Brak Show. I also have about 20games. I picked up the 80GB after running out on both 40's. I think nowadays about 100GBs is about right now with most new games taking about 1GB to over 3GBs each. I have a bunch of videos and such on my HD which I'm currently compressing (taking conan episodes down from 1GB to 100mb), so thats freeing up a lot of room, but seriously space can leave so quick.

I probally would need more than 40 if napster still exist.

if all you are doing is gaming, than 40 gb should be more than enough, but then again, who just uses their computer for gaming? I know i don't....I like to have as much hard drive space as i can afford

Ultimate Member
    Being sensible 60gb will probably be fine, however most people with these 120gb HDD's just tend to chuck stuff on and leave it there when theyve finished with it, if they were to uninstall programs once they were done they would find they dont even need half the space

--Jakk

nah, when you have every movie known to mankind on your HD 120gb just isn't enough.

This is one of these “your dammed if you do, and you dammed if you don’t” issues. I have had many software conflict problems in the past, so I have made peace with myself and kept software on the 1 40G HD to a min, and placed music and other stuff on the other 40 G HD. Mind you I did get kicked in the teeth about 3 weeks ago when my music HD crashed and burned; it was a very gut wrenching moment.

i have a 120 gb maxtor hard drive........im only using about 12 GBs. i havent installed many games on it tho because im lazy and i feel ill never play those games again

2x120GB 7200 8mb cache

using about 180GB right now
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

I think a 40GB HDD is more than enough for a gamer
    But if you want some additional music... movies... video editing for your family... you should need at least triple size.

I have a 120gb (which is actually 112gb) I am using about 15gb, but the computer is only about a month old, and I didn't transfer any music from my old computer.

I am no less strict on what I put on it then I would be with a 40gb drive. In the one month I have had it I have uninstalled two out of the four games I have put on.

Originally posted by gibsinep
    2x120GB 7200 8mb cache

using about 180GB right now
    So does the defrag take like 2 weeks??

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?" - C. Stoll