Thread: questions on o/c cpu's stressing

questions on o/c cpu's stressing

How much does o/c stress cpu's and lower life?

The more o/c,the worse for the cpu?
    Moreover,if u revert from an o/c'ed system to default and overclock again,when its needed, do u lower your cpu's life?
    more or less than keeping it continuously o/ced?

thanx in advance!
    Attention to Perfection

Apparently lowering your CPUs temp by 10 will double its life. If the same math holds up, increasing it by 10 will half the life.
    However one thing I've never read anywhere is what is the normal un-overclocked life expectancy of a CPU.

In the log term, a thing called electromigration can occur which will damage any silicon based circuit.

http://www.csl.mete.metu.edu.tr/Elec...ation/emig.htm

unless youre overcclocking to insane levels, chances are youre gonna buy a new PC before the processor burns out

Re: questions on o/c cpu's stressing

Originally posted by doomforce
    How much does o/c stress cpu's and lower life?

The more o/c,the worse for the cpu?
    Moreover,if u revert from an o/c'ed system to default and overclock again,when its needed, do u lower your cpu's life?
    more or less than keeping it continuously o/ced?

thanx in advance!
    Hi, i know this thread is old, but i'm really curious about this question doomforce asked too...

"Moreover,if u revert from an o/c'ed system to default and overclock again,when its needed, do u lower your cpu's life?"

This is because i'm a new overclocker right now that just started overclocking but no $$ for good cooling and using stock cooling right now.

Currently i have my Barton 2500+ o/c at 190x11 = 2100Mhz using default VCore of 1.65. This overclock i expiremented during these cold weather days now in Canada and probably winter will probably arrive faster this year. So room temps are a little colder and is important for an overclocked system. I sometimes closed the air duct coming to my room.

I was wondering when summer season comes back i might have to lower my o/c to default speed and would reverting back to default and o/c speed hurt the cpu's lifespan? Now it's already hot using this setup for overclocking. Using Prime 95 torture test it can hit up to 55C.

System Specs:
    MB: Abit NF7-S (Rev. 2) BIOS 1.9
    CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
    RAM: 1 x 512MB Samsung PC3200 (DDR400) (value ram??)
    HD: WD 80GB (8MB Cache)
    Video Card: ATI 9500 Pro
    Monitor: Viewsonic E70f+sb
    PSU: Antec 400W SmartPower
    Speakers: Logitech Z-640
    Case: Antec SX1040BII (SOHO File Server)
    Last edited by ChadWiK; 10-18-2003 at 05:52 PM.

there is no way to know how much your card *edit: or chip* will be hurt by overclocking, just keep it relatively sane.
    its kind of like the half life of a substance, there is a 50 50 chance that within the half life, that it will decay at all, and no way to predict if it will happen.
    you may or may not get a chip that will clock well, and you may or may not get one that will run for centuries.
    chances are, that it will burn out after youve already upgraded.
    just dont go willy nilly with voltage and make sure temp is decent.
    you should increase the overclock in baby steps, but reverting to normal and then oc'd shouldnt hurt.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing