Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much voltage can my 2400+ take?

How much voltage can my 2400+ take?

Hi, im wondering how high I can push the voltage on my Athlon XP 2400+ AIUHB. Right now its at 1.825v and the cpu is at 133.3 X 17 =2275 but I want to go higher as I have purchased some Corsair 3200 DDR. Im thinking something like 147.7 X 16.5=2355 because my k7s5a didnt like being at 13.5 X 166. Anyways how high can I push the voltage and where should it be? I have a Vantec Aeroflow and decent case cooling. Thanks for any responses.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You are at my personal limit, but you may be able to push it to 1.8500 and remain stable and cool enough.

Ultimate Member
    1.85 volts maximum on good aircooling (should give you 2.35-2.4Ghz), up to 1.9v on water/excellent aircooling

--Jakk

I assume that my vantec aeroflow is sufficient right? Im using arctic alumna. Thanks for the response guys.

Ultimate Member
    The absolute maximum VCORE value for the 2400+ is 2.15v. Exceed that, and you may damage the processor over time.

Most good aircoolers tend to get overwhelmed around 1.85-1.9v. Watercooling is generally OK up to 2.05v, provided the voltage regulators recieve good cooling as well.

Once you get around 2 volts the regulators need cooling immensely. When they overheat they spike which causes crashes, burnt chips, etc. You can go to 2 volts and above on excellent air, but you will hear the fan the whole time and you will have to be creative to do it safely in regards to temps. I don't think you would with the aeroflow. 1.9 max IMO - and start looking into getting some BGA ramsinks at the very least to stick on the mosfets soon as possible, possibly a fan blowing on them as well since they tend to have no airflow since they are generally surrounded by capacitors. The last thing you want is to get the chip cool enough to run (though you have other worries) at 2 volts and up having it sound like a hurricane only to have a MOSFET go up and take the CPU with it out of nowhere.

Ultimate Member
    Definitely important. The MOSFETs start producing runaway heat and switch unreliably (causing surges and dips as SS mentioned) when their rated capacity is exceeded, enough to overwhelm the largest of heatsinks. The best (and most efficient bet) is to get a mosfet waterblock from logiccooling.com if you intend to run high vcore for any length of time...

i tink my mobo must be volting wrong cos i ran mine on 2v, alu heatsink with copper slug, cheap fan

ran fine, external probe reported 50C when poked under heatsink

i dropped back to 1.8 for safety, but 2v was stable!

my 2cents

Ultimate Member
    2v may be stable, how long is another issue. My experience is that no cheap aircooled heatsink in normal ambient conditions can handle 2v.

I have my XP2100 pushed to 2466Mhz @ 1.9v on air. I use a Thermalright AX-7 w 49cfm YS Tech 80mm adjustable fan.

Idle temps run around 40-42*C
    Load Temps 47-49*C

Thermalright heatsinks kick ****!

thanks for all the responses. i think im just gonna keep it at 1.825v clocked at 133X17 2275mhz if i tried 18X1333 does anyone have expieriance as to how high the voltage must go?

what speeds your ram? if you have 166 ram i would suggest trying for 166x10-12 or something, only if your ram can handle it

How did you manage to change your Volts and Multiplier on a K7S5A? Or with it being a 2400+ rather then a 1600+(which is what i have), would that make a difference in how to change them... Cause i've been wanting to change my multiplier for a while but i dont want to have to cut the L3 bridges cause i'm afraid i'd screw something up.

well for one your chip is locked from the manufacture, its a polanomial core(no idea how to spell it) where his is a t-bread "b" core and those chips come unlocked. my 1700+ i think was that first chips to come unlocked cause its also a t-bread "b" so i think your out of luck :\

yeah i know that its locked... but i can unlock it w/ the XP unlock trick... the thing is the K7S5A has no Multiplier or Voltage options in the bios... So i'm trying to figure out how he changed them, unless he modified the L3 bridges.