Thread: List of Beep codes for your help :)

List of Beep codes for your help :)

this is for you guys who dont know about Beep codes and such that you may come accross when building your new computer, I have noticed alot of Questions being brought up and I know they can be a pain in the **** when you dont know what they mean, so I made out a this, you guys will find it handy, hope this helps you out some who ever needs it

Award Beep Codes

none You're supposed to hear at least one beep. If you truly don't hear anything, either your computer's power supply, motherboard, or PC speaker is no good.

1 short System RAM Refresh failure. Your programmable interrupt timer on your motherboard has failed. It could also be your interrupt controller, but either way, your motherboard will need to be replaced to fix it.

2 short Your computer has memory problems. First, check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. Check your SIMMs. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second bank memory chips. First banks are the memory banks in which your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all of your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

3 short Same as 2 beeps; follow diagnosis above.

4 short Your problem could be a bad timer. The system timer failed to work properly. It will require motherboard replacement.

Note: for systems with hardware monitoring installed, this beep error may also signify that the CPU fan has stopped working or it is not plugged into the CPU fan header.

5 short CPU Failure. Replace the CPU or possibly the motherboard.

6 short The chip on your motherboard that controls your keyboard isn't working. First, try another keyboard. If that doesn't help, reseat the chip that controls the keyboard, if it isn't soldered in. If it still beeps, replace the chip if possible. The chip is erroring in the gate A20 switch that allows the system to run in virtual mode. Replace the motherboard if the chip is soldered in.

7 short Your CPU has generated an exception error. This could be a fault of the CPU or a combination of problems with the motherboard. Try replacing the motherboard.

8 short Your video card isn't working. Make sure it is seated well in the bus. If it still beeps, either the whole card is bad or the memory on it is. Your best bet is to install another video card.

9 short ROM checksum error. This means that the checksum error checking value does not match the content of the BIOS ROM. This means the BIOS ROM is probably bad, and needs to be replaced.

10 short Your problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard.

11 short Your L2 cache memory is bad and your computer disabled it for you. You could reactivate it by pressing -Ctrl- -Alt- -Shift- -+- , but you probably shouldn't. Instead, replace your L2 cache memory. Obviously, this could lead to outright motherboard replacement.

1 long, 3 short Memory test failure. An error has been detected in the memory over the first 64K. Try replacing the memory, and if that doesn't do it, the motherboard.

1 long, 8 short Display test failure. Your video card is either missing or defective. Replace it. If its part of your motherboard, you'll need to replace it or bypass it.

PHOENIX BEEP CODES

1-1-3 Your computer can't read the configuration information stored in the CMOS. Replace the motherboard.

1-1-4 Your BIOS needs to be replaced.

1-2-1 You have a bad timer chip on the motherboard; you need a new motherboard.

1-2-2 The motherboard is bad.
    1-2-3 The motherboard is bad.
    1-3-1 The motherboard is bad.

1-3-3 Same as AMI BIOS 2 beeps. Replace the motherboard.
    1-3-4 The motherboard is bad.
    1-4-1 The motherboard is bad.

1-4-2 Some of your memory is bad.

2-_-_ Any combination of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably have the guys in the lab coats test the memory for you. Take your computer to the shop.

3-1-_ One of the chips on your motherboard is broken. You'll likely need to get another board.

3-2-4 Same as AMI BIOS 6 beeps: keyboard controller failure.

3-3-4 Your computer can't find the video card. Is it there? If so, try swapping it with another one and see if it works.

3-4-_ Your video card isn't working. You'll need to replace it.

4-2-1 There's a bad chip on the motherboard. You need to buy another board.

4-2-2 First, check the keyboard for problems. If there are none, you have a bad motherboard.
    4-2-3 See 4-2-2.

4-2-4 One of the cards is bad. Try taking out the cards one by one to isolate the culprit. Replace the bad one. The last possibility is to buy another motherboard.

4-3-1 Replace the motherboard.

4-3-2 See 4-3-1
    4-3-3 See 4-3-1

4-3-4 Time of day clock failure. Try running the setup program that comes with the computer, and check the date and time. If that doesn't work, replace the battery. If that doesn't work, replace the power supply. You may have to replace the motherboard, but that is rare.

4-4-1 Your serial ports are acting up. Reseat or replace the I/O card. If the I/O is on the motherboard itself, disable it with a jumper (consult your manual to know which one) and then add an I/O card.

4-4-2 See 4-4-1

4-4-3 Your math coprocessor is malfunctioning. Run a test program to double-check it. If it is indeed bad, disable or replace it. Disabling is fine, because you probably don't need it anyway.

1 Long Beep Indicates a problem with memory in the first bank, usually an unseated memory module

1 Long, 2 Short Indicates a problem with the video card or the memory on it
    1 Long, 3 short also indicates a problem with video or the memory on video card
    Last edited by Sterling_Aug; 10-10-2003 at 10:26 PM.

Are beep codes all the same or do they vary from manufacturer?

no there pretty much all the same, at least from what I have came accross the last few years building systems, when i got beep codes, know matter what Mobo i was using, they pretty much stayed the same
    Last edited by CrazyCrusher; 09-23-2003 at 03:49 PM.

This one's a sticky.

Congrats CrazyCrusher, you got a sticky.

Seriuosly though, good place to point some of these oddball questions. Ive posted a few beep code links, this will help for sure. Nice job.

Funny how half of them result eventually in replace the mobo though. You hear more than 1 beep --- 50% chance your screwed.
    Last edited by crossedup; 09-23-2003 at 09:43 PM.

wahoo me gots a sticky thanks, glad i could be of some help to you guys/gals, and true it is about them, %50 of the time u end up replacing something but thanks for making it a sticky
    Last edited by CrazyCrusher; 09-23-2003 at 10:17 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Its worse when it dosent beep at all

Thanx!

Wery usefull
    Apologise for my bad english :-)

Welcome

ummm i just got a 9700 pro in the mail today, ran to my local comptuer store picked up a enermax 460 PS, installed the card and the PS, powered it up, no beeps, and the monitor flickers for a half second.... tell me i didnt buy a lemon of a card. :|

wow that would suck, but all I can tell you from what you wrote would be to remove ur card and try a diffrent one, if that doesnt work, try removing all ur parts from the mobo, replace the hardware one peace at a time, to narrow down the problem, but frist I would try a diffrent Video card. try some of that then post back with ur finding good luck

Tiger, create a new thread to explain your problem.

Closing this thread so it doesn't get long.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Just wanted to let you know that I edited the beep codes and added a note to #4 based on personal experience.