Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 VS Logitech z-680

I already have a subwoofer with a big enclosure. Nice enough that it shook the trunk of my car when I had it in there.

I could see where I can get a house amp, rated at around 200-300 watts, and ad them on there

Ultra's no doubt would kick the **** out of the Logitechs. I'm an avid follower of audio and a member over at the Klipsch forums. Reports back from soundwise.org has peak volume levels at 120db and the subwoofer doing 90db at 20hz. These are rough numbers, but charts will soon follow.

Know that the sats are smoother with better midrange, and the sub unlike any you have heard for MM before. The Klipsch Reference designers designed the Ultra sub, and let me tell you...you can tell. This thing pounds with authorty, gets down low, and has clairty that is unmatched in the MM world.

Originally posted by Magua
    Also, here are some good reviews of what your looking for

Logitech Z680:
    http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...h/z680/001.htm

Klipsch Promedia 5.1:
    http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...dia_51/001.htm

Klipsch GMX D-5.1:
    http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...gmx_51/001.htm
    those are good reviews and i agree for the most part but i dont think they should have taken points away from the logitechs because of too loud bass because that is determined by personal prefrence (i happen to love bass). or because of speaker grills because that is extremely easily fixed and it even says in the logitech manual you should take them off.

They'll both sound nice enough to make you happy. I'd go for the Logitechs because you can plug other devices into them, not just your PC.

PLEASE excuse my brethern here.....WELCOME to SYSOPTS!!!

Sometimes we forget our manners.

hey thanks

i swear its like looking at my posts from 2 months ago...lol

enough of these silly pc speakers that cost way more than they should.
    get some home theather speakers and wire them into your computer.
    i still havent done it yet, but i figure the new audigy plats must have plugs for the system.

this of couse could also be supped up to real subwoofers like the definitive tech's supercube1. and their bipoles with subs inside. yea, that would be cool.
    of course, i dont know the details of this like bpb, so he could explain how to wire all that.

Originally posted by ConfusedAlien
    i swear its like looking at my posts from 2 months ago...lol

enough of these silly pc speakers that cost way more than they should.
    get some home theather speakers and wire them into your computer.
    i still havent done it yet, but i figure the new audigy plats must have plugs for the system.

this of couse could also be supped up to real subwoofers like the definitive tech's supercube1. and their bipoles with subs inside. yea, that would be cool.
    of course, i dont know the details of this like bpb, so he could explain how to wire all that.
    actually home theatre speakers are much more expensive and both the systems discussed in this thread can perform almost as well.

Originally posted by Roman02
    actually home theatre speakers are much more expensive and both the systems discussed in this thread can perform almost as well.
    Hardly... A top of the line home theatre system will blow doors on these smaller systems, but these systems are still a great buy...

If you want to go big go with Miller and Kreisel Speakers and a B & K, Marantz, or McIntosh Reciever... There's no comparison and anyone says that they're comparable has their head up their **** and can't hear the difference from a professional system and low end. In other words, their ears are shot.

But for multi-media, the klipsch are killer. And the 8" subs will do great job reproducing base for a small system. The SWS system produces a lower frequency from the driver position, so you're getting a lot more for your $$... The only bummer is that they don't have a SPDIF and Coaxil Connection. That means you can't do digital throughout... It would be nice, but no big deal for computer or small systems.

Originally posted by pgwalsh
    If you want to go big go with Miller and Kreisel Speakers and a B & K, Marantz, or McIntosh Reciever...
    Name-dropper! Actually, I don't care for M&K other than their subs. I'm a Magnepan man. They could sure use the M&K subs though!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    Name-dropper! Actually, I don't care for M&K other than their subs. I'm a Magnepan man. They could sure use the M&K subs though!
    I have a custom S150 System with the MX-350 Ultra MK II sub with a B & K receiver... Incredible sound. You can really feel the bass. The speaker enclosures were hand made with dark cherry... Beautiful... It goes well the the 10' X 8' projection tv..

Now for audio cards... I say the Revolution 7.1 or Sonica.. It doesn't have THX, but I don't watch movies on my computer...

One great thing about the Sonica is that you can run a long usb cord to it then a 12' Coaxil right to your stereo... If it's on the otherside of the room.. Goes great with iTunes...
    "Say hello to my little friend" - ScarFace

Originally posted by pgwalsh
    The only bummer is that they don't have a SPDIF and Coaxil Connection. That means you can't do digital throughout... It would be nice, but no big deal for computer or small systems.
    You can get a digital decoder from Klipsch for $169 from there website that allows you to connect virtually any audio input sources such as:
    Game Consoles with Digital Connectivity (With Toslink optical cable or RCA S/P-DIF) XBox, PlayStation 2. So if you were bummed out about not having any digital decoding now you don't have to worry. For more information about the decoder go here http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?prodID=8
    -Kill_Bill
    ------------
    I once killed a computer by shooting the processor. This was when you could police your own computer.

why do people still get computer speakers? they are ripoffs. and they dont even sound half as decent as speakers in the same price range.

this is what i have in my room. computer, yamaha 7.1 1000w RMS with receiver that decodes dts, dd, ds, dh, etc. and with rca monster cables hooked up to your computer (by using a special 1 comp. split to 2 rca dongle), you can enjoy dvds straight from the pc, or using the receiver which has progressive scan dvd player.

and the yamaha package was 600 bucks. you can find panasonic ones with 500w 5.1's for 300 bucks. get a cable at radioshack for 5 bucks and you just saved yourself 200 bucks and got better sound.

if you HAVE audigy 2 (plat), you can get real speakers, like jbls or athena's, and plug them into your audigy optical outputs.

this is very easy. and you can save yourself money in the process. you even get better sound. hell, you even get a standalone music player.

Originally posted by Kill_Bill
    You can get a digital decoder from Klipsch for $169 from there website that allows you to connect virtually any audio input sources such as:
    Game Consoles with Digital Connectivity (With Toslink optical cable or RCA S/P-DIF) XBox, PlayStation 2. So if you were bummed out about not having any digital decoding now you don't have to worry. For more information about the decoder go here http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?prodID=8
    True, but that's a lot to spend for a little system like that.. If it's your main system then I don't see why not or do as ConfusedAlien suggested, which I think is a better idea.
    "Say hello to my little friend" - ScarFace

Yes you could do that to but unlike a large system like the Yamaha's this is easier to transport around without having to haul around a big reciever. So if you were to move your speakers around the house a lot and they were not just for your computer I would go with the Klispch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra with the digital decoder box.
    -Kill_Bill
    ------------
    I once killed a computer by shooting the processor. This was when you could police your own computer.