Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 VS Logitech z-680

klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 VS Logitech z-680

which one do u guys feel is better after considering price, features, and everything. I was considering buying the logtech z-680 at first but the new klipsch had come out. Let me know what u guys think.

Klipsch has always been top shelf stuff especiallt their speakers. You want good sound and excellent quality.... for the price : go with Klipsch......no question

Rat
    Rat...
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to
    make the other ******* die for his."
    --George Patton

I would agree, go with Klipsch. I think they are around $40 more

They're both riduculously expensive for PC speakers. Once you have 6 speakers firing at you in a game, they don't have to be either loud or expensive. They will blow you out of your chair no matter what you bought.

If you have the money to burn, get the Klipschs. If not, the $100 Altecs will do you fine.
    MS MCP, MCSE

but 500 watts is better

the 680's have 500 watt 1,000 watt peak power.

the Klipsh has 500 watt peak rating if i'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    If not, the $100 Altecs will do you fine.
    translation: Altec Lansing 251/641.

Power ratings are utterly meaningless, really. Klipsch makes a pair of speakers called the Klipschorns. Those buggers will literally hurt you with a high-grade 20W amp. They deliver 109dB per watt at 1 meter.

One the other hand, my old Magnepan MG1s needed 200 clean watts of RMS power to get warmed up. They delivered 79dB per watt at 1 meter.

The Magnepans had a much better sound, but no deep bass.

I don't trust the wattage ratings or the distortion specs on any of these PC speakers. It's all flash and no substance. Ask the maker at what power level the 2nd harmonic distortion level exceeds 5%. Then ask them about the impedance load specified for those measurements and how a change of impedance affects it. They will either play dumb or actually be dumb.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Has anyone used the Klipsch 5.1 GMX D-5.1? They are about $100 less then the standard 5.1's. My friend has the promedia 2.1's, and those scream. Although the surround sound would be nice.

Right now i have a sony (unsure on model)2.1, but I am looking at possibly going to some 5.1's.

As a side question, I have a Panasonic Stereo system in the same room as my computer. Would there be any way to use those two speakers along with my 2.1 sony's? I know it wouldnt be surround sound, but would just be more sound around the room. I was thinking it might work using the onboard audio from my Mobo for one set, and the Audigy 2 for the other. If not, I'm sure I can get some sort of 'Y' splitter...right?

Also, here are some good reviews of what your looking for

Logitech Z680:
    http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...h/z680/001.htm

Klipsch Promedia 5.1:
    http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...dia_51/001.htm

Klipsch GMX D-5.1:
    http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...gmx_51/001.htm

Originally posted by gjimene2
    but 500 watts is better

the 680's have 500 watt 1,000 watt peak power.

the Klipsh has 500 watt peak rating if i'm not mistaken.
    Not true.
    It depends on the sensitivity of each speaker; if the Klipshs' have a higher sensitivity rating than the 680s', then they will play louder on less power. It also depends on the distortion levels at the power in question. 1000 watt peak power @ what distortion level. Many pc speakers don't have meaningfull specs for frequency response or distortion levels; so their specs are next to useless. It all boils down to your ears.

Ditto everything BpB said also.
    I have speakers with sensitivity ratings of 80db/w/m and with 500 hundred watts running into them it sounds about as loud as my friends high sensitivity system running on about 10 watts.

I want something with enough bass to shake my walls.

I guess that I will get a home amp, hook it up to my woofer I had in my car, and rig it up with a 200watt home theather system

Originally posted by gjimene2
    I want something with enough bass to shake my walls.

I guess that I will get a home amp, hook it up to my woofer I had in my car, and rig it up with a 200watt home theather system
    If you want something with enough bass to shake your walls, get a real subwoofer instead of ones made for pc's. Klipsh makes good ones. Look for extended response down to 18hz or so as the - 3db point. Even 25hz as the - 3db point wouldn't be too bad. PC speakers with good subwoofers tend to have a - 3db point of 40hz or so.

What kind of enclosure are you going to use with the car speaker? They are designed to use the entire car as their enclosure (that is big) and that is how car subwoofers get such good performance. It would be a cheap way to go. Let us know if it works.

Madonna's Ray of Light cd has a lot of real low bass if you go to listen to some subwoofers with extended response. Chumbawamba Tubthumper has good low bass also. Any organ music or Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with digital canons will test any good subs. All the music I mentioned will shake your walls with a good subwoofer.

The altec 621 and 641 models are discontinued. I had a pair of 641's and they were so cool, i just wish the sub had bigger drivers but it was still an awesome system. Dang lightning storm killed the sub so I sent it back to altec and they are replacing with the ugly-style 5100 complete with girly sub. I'll take them but I'll be replacing them with the klipsch ultras.

Are you looking at the Klipsch GMX D-5.1? If so, I find Klipsch' latest line of speakers to be absolutely hideous looking. Definitely not something I would put on my desk/wall. My vote would go to Logitech based on appearance and functionality. (I really like the built-in wall mount).

One question tho, what exactly are you using these speakers for? Is the $$ for either set justifiable? Personally, i'm still using a 4.1 set of Labtec's I bought four years ago (i'm considering an upgrade to the Z-560's) as my home theatre system has taken over the DVD/music duties. I couldn't see the point of investing in another system...

I like the look of the GMX D-5.1's...the Promedia 5.1's have a standard look, dont think its anything anyone could hate.