Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Router?

Which Router?

I would appreciate suggestions as to which router would fit my needs for my cable internet connection? Thanks in advance, Don.

A little more info is needed here... You say fit your needs, but how do we know your needs?

How many ports will you need? ( how many computers will be hooked up to it)

I am guessing you want a built in firewall.

Also what's your price range?
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Lucky for you they are basically all the same. So go and buy the cheapest you can find.

Ultimate Member
    Linksys BEFSX41...easy as pie to set up and secure as hell

--Jakk

When I went Cable I got an SMC 7004ABR.
    It, too, was easy to setup (and fix after I 'improved' it <g>) and inexpensive enough at $68.
    It has 4 ports plus a print-server port and a serial port for a modem.
    Since it has been in place, my ZA Pro has not reported one external probe!
    Geo. S.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by cat5e
    Lucky for you they are basically all the same. So go and buy the cheapest you can find.
    Cat5e, you posted one a while back, it was a gigafast ethernet one, for lik $7. I picked one of those up. Is that place still running that rebate?

I got a SpeedTouch to work with my ADSL connection. It appears to be working fine and I know a new firmware is due in October but I'm also sure that it is killing bandwidth between itself and my computer

It's meant to be a 512 line, it says I'm connected at 576 yet onliine tests/download speeds show I never get past 45kbs (and I know it's 512/8 to give 60...)

edit: (I'll add the morale now ) don't buy an Alcatel/Thompson product until v 5 or something comes out.
    Stefan

Originally posted by r8500

Cat5e, you posted one a while back, it was a gigafast ethernet one, for lik $7. I picked one of those up. Is that place still running that rebate?
    Nah, it ended up at the end of August.

In my limited use of routers I have seen you really can't go wrong with a D-link or a LINKSYS .
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Linksys BESFR14 works great for cat5e connection (10/100 links) with NAT etc.
    If you want wireless, I also use an SMC which also has a firewall, 3 10/100 ports, and 802.11b dhcp server.

I had a 2wire homeportal that worked great till lightning got it last week.

Just bought a Netgear MR814 4 port hub and cable/dsl wireless router, working fine.

i like my gigafast EE400R 4 port with nat (firewall) for $7 at microcenter about 3/4''H x 6''W and works with PPPoE too!

I have an RP614 by NetGear, which works pretty good except when I use overnet or EDonkey 2000,which somehow causes the router to lock up and have to be reset. It doesn't happen every time either. Is it from too many requests for information, or what?

For general home use I would recommend either the Linksys BEFSR41 or the D-Link DI-604. Both are 4-Port 10/100 routers and offer a fairly standard feature set and have excellent support and warranties (D-Link... lifetime warranty). I'm personally using an HP HN200E because I wanted something with a more subtle appearance. I would strongly recommend that you stay away from the SMC routers. I have heard far too many horror stories regarding their products and have personally seen many of their routers drop connections consistently - their support was non-existent. Only way to get online again was to cycle the power on the router...

I wouldn't also suggest that you ignore cat5e's suggestion to "buy the cheapest you can find". I've seen quite a few people through work who bought a cheap router made by an unknown company. Good luck finding support/RMA assistance, let alone a firmware update.

hey

D-Link DI-604