'Deathstar' fix

http://www.storagereview.com/php/tik...page=DeathStar

...and just when you thought it would never happen

--Jakk

Ultimate Member
    Go figure. 2 weeks after mine gave up.

Flashed my 45GB 75GXP few days ago.
    So far so good
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

I suggest retitling the subject and making it sticky. Good info!

Done
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

So...

Is this update not necessary on Refurbished drives? I sent a IC35AVER back to HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Solutions, who now manages all of IBM's disk hardware), got it back with a new shell and parts, and it seems to work...

Here's the info on my disk, guess I just assume HGST did the legwork on the firmware update for me?

Device: IC35L060AVV207-0
    Capacity: 57.7 GB
    SN#: VNVB02G2G5R7MH
    Firmware: V220A66A

I figure this might be useful info for those who've already RMA'd their Deskstar and weren't sure (like me)
    "Save us Booze, show us the way!"

Originally posted by Dracas
    Firmware: V220A66A
    It looks like an updated firmware already, but you can always check again

I still have at least one Deathstar not RMA'd. I ran the IBM info tool and it says I NEED to update the firmware to OA5AA. Of course, the documentation says I shuld get a message to update to either IA6AA or OA6AA. There is no reference to OA5AA. :MAD: And there is no link to a firmware updater for OA5AA just the other two. Should I try the OA6AA updater?????

EDIT: Ahh, if you go to the OA6AA link it sez "this will update your drive to to either xxA6AA or xxA5AA depending on the model you have. " It would be nice if they put that up front on the web site or in the readme that comes with the checker utility. But afer all, this IS IBM.
    Last edited by FijiJohn; 10-19-2003 at 03:35 PM.
    FijiJohn

When all else fails, google before asking silly questions

Too true!!
    FijiJohn

I also ran the IBM info tool and it says I DO NEED to update the firmware to OA5AA. I went to the OA6AA link, as mentioned above and it does say "this will update your drive to to either xxA6AA or xxA5AA depending on the model you have. " The problem I have is that when I download the utility and make the boot disk to update the firmware, the utility on the boot disk says I do not have to update the firmware. Anybody have the same thing happen? Does anyone know a solution.\?

It sounds likely that you may not be using one of the hard disks effected by the chirp of death, EG its the wrong model and isn't effected by this concern, therefor - no need to update!

That or you're using the latest firmware and somethings just tripping up for some reason

who knows

Download, install and run Aida32. It will tell you what model drive you have. It tells me I have a 120GXP.

Ibm Death star

I unfortunately have/had one of these drives. I was using it when it crashed so I was able to turn it off pretty quick. Here is my problem I have two turbotax files I need on it that I cannot find the backups to. Is there anyway I can recover this myself or do I have to send it out? If I have to send it out how much will that be? I'm in the U.S.

I read in an issue of pc upgrading that sometimes it works if you place the drive in a zip lock bag with silica crystals and place it in your freezer for a while. Then boot it up quick and you may be able to access it temporarly. Has anyone heard of this? I may be trying it soon and I will post the results.

As always thank you in advance,
    Don.

P.S. where do I go to see if I can get a free one from IBM, it's about two years old if that still applies.

go to http//www.hgst.com and find the RMA page, Hitachi Global picked up IBMs disk business sometime early last year, just fill out the RMA, get your number, send it back (provided its still covered under warranty, etc..) and thar ya go, thats all I did.

They'll either send you a new one or send you the same one rebuilt from OEM serviceable parts (EG, you'll get back the same logic board attached to another case)

Happy RMA'ing!