Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AGP 8x voltage

Thank you

That was exactly what I was asking.... How the voltage worked...

Gone
    LOL you were told 3x how it works. Don't over examine it-your knocking it out of proportion. THey say 1.5 as in MAX V it will run. As in 3.3v card will fry it. As in 8x (.8V) or 4x (1.5v) is O.K. As in if you have a 4x mobo a 8x card will work. As in if you have a 8x mobo a 4x card will work. As in -what can you not understand. ROFLMAO.

I'm asking How a 1.5V slot can run at 0.8V.

LOL you were told 3x how it works.
    And where was this explained in the replies above?

Better read my question again, buddy... I wanted to know what controlled the voltage, the motherboard which is 1.5V or the video card... Which part did you not understand? It appears you're the one that doesn't seem to understand. The answer you gave, I already saw in numerous link so I politely replied that wasn't my question...

And I don't appreciate your smartass remark....
    Last edited by NDC; 09-29-2003 at 04:38 AM.

The motherboard controls the voltage through the AGP controller in the Northbridge. If both the card and board support AGP 8x it uses 0.8v signalling in 8x mode. If either is limited to AGP 4x it uses 1.5v signalling in 4x mode.

When a motherboard is described as 1.5v only it means it does not support any higher signalling voltage. So you cannot put a card requiring 3.3v signalling in the system.

Once again it is something that the user does not have to worry about. If the board supports AGP 3.0 (or AGP 8x) it supports both 0.8v and 1.5v signalling, however it no longer requires backwards compatibility to AGP 1.0 (or AGP 1x/2x) and its 3.3v sginalling.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Gone
    "Better read my question again, buddy... I wanted to know what controlled the voltage, the motherboard which is 1.5V or the video card... Which part did you not understand? "

The part where you specifically asked that. You guys were asking if it would work-you were told it would. I reread the whole thing-where di you ask which decides the volts-mobo or card? Ans since the mobo takes many cards it should have been obvious -its the mobo that controls it. If you wanted tech refrence top to bottem ask that!

"And I don't appreciate your smartass remark...."

LOL you spit and sputter with a attitude on yer back about "thats what I asked" and Im the one with smart arsed remarks. How childish.

"I'm asking How a 1.5V slot can run at 0.8V."

Because all 8x cards work in 4x mobo's and vice verse which you were told 3x.. So it switches. Read between the lines. And by the way no 1.5v only slot runs at .8v. You still dont get it. AGP 3.0 IS 1.5/.8v Its both. Its not a 1.5v slot that CAN do .8v. Its a 1.5v /.8v combo slot. Just like 2x to 4x was 3.3/1.5v combo. It has V sensors for both and will switch as needed when card sensed. Not trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to make you think about what your being told instead of waiting for someone to spoon feed you the info. A quick search on google would have even told you all this.
    Last edited by $1500-P4 gamer; 09-29-2003 at 04:09 PM.

A further simple addition to my earlier explanation.

The motherboard has to control the voltage as it is the source of the current. That's basic electronics. The card may be able to request one or the other, but it has to accept what the motherboard can give it.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Sorry you're so good at reading between the lines and I'm not...

I was hoping to hear a CLEAR explanation.. been a while since I've been back to this forum since moderating here some time back with the rest of the gang.

Looks like things haven't changed a bit here is SysOpt.. There is always some smartass like yourself on the boards who assumes everyone sees things the way they do... I come for help, yet I leave with disappointment.. Oh, well.. Thanks anyways...
    Last edited by NDC; 09-29-2003 at 08:50 PM.

"Once more into the breach dear friends."

Yet another way to look at it is that a 1.5v only mobo requires a card that is Capable of running at 1.5v signalling voltage (which all AGP 8x cards can do in 4x mode) rather than a card that requires 3.3v signalling voltage.

If the card cannot run at 1.5v it will not run in the mobo, if it can run at 1.5v then the mobo will support it even if it drops to 0.8v signalling.

(This is a simplification but I hope it will get the point across.)

Gone
    ROFLMAO.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Rugor
    "Once more into the breach dear friends."

Yet another way to look at it is that a 1.5v only mobo requires a card that is Capable of running at 1.5v signalling voltage (which all AGP 8x cards can do in 4x mode) rather than a card that requires 3.3v signalling voltage.

If the card cannot run at 1.5v it will not run in the mobo, if it can run at 1.5v then the mobo will support it even if it drops to 0.8v signalling.

(This is a simplification but I hope it will get the point across.)
    i understood ya a cupla posts back... but this one is even harder to understand! lol

Ultimate Member
    8x cards can run at 1.5v signaling voltage.

I believe the P4G8X uses the E7205 chipset, which due to chipset problems has AGP 8x disabled. Thus there are no reduced swings of .8v, which are really only good for mobile purposes anyway.

So you basically have an 8X card running at 4X, unless I missed something. Also, didn't you say your computer came with a 2.8C a while ago? While the E7205 CAN run at 200 FSB, that's above rated specification. If the processor is not a 533 FSB version, you were likely swindled out of some northbridge headroom by a shady vendor.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 09-30-2003 at 10:12 AM.

Ultimate Member
    nooo... it comes with a 2.8 normal

according to somethings, my 9700 is running @ 8x and some things say its 4x.
    My mobo says its 8x and 1.5v. The manual also says that. I guess some programs must measure the speed it is at by the voltage.

I'll ask asus mabey...

Ultimate Member
    yep.... mine is a 2.8A (533MHz) adia32 told me
    thought it was

Ultimate Member
    They went and confused me

Q: Does P4G8X supports AGP 8X?

A: Yes. The onboard Intel E7205 MCH supports 1.5V AGP 3.0 standard which supports both AGP 8X/4X mode.

Supports 8x, but only 1.5v Sent them an email

Ultimate Member

P4G8X Power problem

For some reason, when the comp freezes, and i hit reset cuz nothing else works, the computer dosent POST. The fans come on and whirrrrr.... then nothing more. If i just hit reset w/o a lockup, it will reboot fine (i did it accidentily once or twice). But to reboot after a lockup i have to:
    Switch off the isolator at the back. Wait for 20 or so seconds and then switch it back on and it will boot fine.

If i dont wait long enough, it wont boot. Im guessing the wait is the capacitors and ram draining. But why? The nature of the lockups is weird too.

The computer starts skipping about, stuttering... acting a bit flakey. Things stick and freeze. Everytime a program freezes, the task manager goes still until the freeze ends. The weird thing is, i can still do stuff like swap tabs and stuff, but i cant start any new programs or anything. It does this a few times before finally slowing down and stopping.

Everything freezes exept the mouse, and after a few clicks... the noise... beeeepeeeepeeepeeepeeeepeeepeeepeep!
    It never stops beeping, there is no delay inbetween each beep. They are normal piched (not higher or lower than normal) And last for about 1/2 second each.

This all leads me to think that the something OTHER than the CPU is not working properly. The CPU is obviosly not causing the lockups otherwise the system would stop dead. When this is happening i can still do things that use the CPU only (switching windows) The stop is prolly the mobos safety feature of somesort. The video keeps on working. Not that. I thought RAM, but i passed memtest tests. PSU dont think so....
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by cwin; 09-30-2003 at 11:52 AM.