Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AGP 8x voltage

Gone
    Id love to be of some help. But Im too dumb to understand the question from the PM I got. Oh there you are-hi NDC-send nasty PM's alot do ya. That why your PM is turned off no email-and yeah. No need to go further into it is there. You dont like me fine-I dont care for you either. But dont be sending me nasty PM's EVER AGAIN. Thats Uber childish. Enuff is enuff-and Im getting fed up with you. I didnt reply to your attack in this thread cause I wanted it to be left go. That PM pushed me too far. Jerk.

8x agp 1.5/.8---again

I have just purchased a radeon 9800 pro that says it needs .8 volts at the agp slot to run at 8x. my new asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard says its 8x capable but also says it has 1.5 volts at the agp slot ONLY. So does that mean I just spent $365 for a grapics card that is going to run at 4x agp(1.5 volts) only.
    Millman

Ultimate Member
    ASUS seem to say that. I think we should email them

1.5/.8 ?

I just called ATI support and all they said was that my 9800 pro would be be "supported" at 1.5 volts they did'nt say what speed it would run at.
    Millman

Let's go over this one more time.

The motherboard supports the AGP 3.0 specification (which is the relevant spec for AGP 8x transfers) which supports AGP 8x at 0.8v and AGP 4x at 1.5v.

What it does NOT support is the earlier cards that require 3.3v signalling at AGP 2x. Those cards are keyed differently and will not fit in the slot.

The 1.5v only boards that support AGP 8x require cards keyed for AGP signalling at 1.5v and not those keyed for AGP signalling at 3.3v. It refers to the physical not the electrical properties of the slot.

Got it?
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Gone
    Point is if card gets only 1.5v from mobo it will be in 4x mode ONLY thats just how it is> If its a 8x/4x mobo only supplying 1.5v agp then it means it can RUN a 8x card....meaning comapat. IE wont burn card-will turn on and run games etc. But it will be in 4x transfer mode. 4x/8x cards can switch to 4x when only 1.5v is available. So yes its comapt with 8x cards. Will it run 8x at 1.5v NO. Its not possible as 8x transfer requires .8 volts BY SPEC.

If the board supports AGP 8x transfers it does so with signalling at 0.8v because there is no other way to do it.

If the board has an AGP 8x 1.5v only slot it means that the board supports AGP 8x but has a slot keyed for 1.5v not a universal slot for any AGP card. In this case the term 1.5v only is referring to the physical keying of the slot, not the voltages it supports.

An older AGP card (the 3.3v signalling models) has only one notch cut in the connector. The corresponding slot has a single key that fits into that notch. The later cards that support 1.5v signalling have a second notch, further back, which matches up to another key that was added to the slot on AGP 4x motherboards that only supported 1.5v signalling. Because there is no corresponding notch on a 3.3v card it cannot be inserted in the slot. AGP 8x cards all have the second (1.5v) notch, and some have the first as well.

So we have two kinds of AGP slot, 3.3v with one key in the slot, and 1.5v with two keys in the slot. Later on a third was added, called Universal AGP it has no keys and can physically accept any AGP card. When a motherboard has a 1.5v only slot it means that it has a connector keyed to the 1.5v cards but NOT to the 3.3v cards.

That's all it means.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

The point is I did just buy a $365 card with no pryer warning from any vender or advertised reveiw that if I buy this new card(which is non refundable) it might not work as advertised or reveiwed without a "proper"-.8 volt mobo. This fact should be made clear by salesmen, magizines and venders, because most first time builders are not completly up to speed on the these facts you just gave me. I know 3 people personally that this has happened to. All the motherboard manufacturers say they suppoert 8x but neglect to tell you you might not get that speed out of it. Most say you will love the "blazing speed" that 8x gives you.
    Pump us up then drop you off. I know there's alot of hype in this bussiness but there is also a thing called truth in advertising. I'm completly disappointed in "plug and play" It hasn't improved much from my days of installing new cards using win 3.11.
    Millman

Gone
    "The point is I did just buy a $365 card with no pryer warning from any vender or advertised reveiw that if I buy this new card(which is non refundable) it might not work as advertised or reveiwed without a "proper"-.8 volt mobo."

No-no and no for the hundredth time/ Its not the video card manufacturers fault. If your mobo RAN CORRECTLY supplying .8v for 8x LIKE 8x SPEC DEMANDS. It would work. ALL video cards are this way. So be PO'd at your mobo manufacturer NOT the video card co. Understand? Sorry for caps but I felt shouting was needed at this point!

caps okay

so who makes a motherboard that puts out .8 at the agp slot,runs amd 2600,and ddr400 compat.?
    Millman

Ultimate Member
    Folks, may I direct you to my technical summary on page 1 of this thread?

AGP 4x and 8x _both_ use a signalling voltage of 1.5V. 8x mode just reduces the voltage _swing_ to 0.8V.

Besides, outside of professional 3D rendering where scene sizes regularly exceed the graphics cards' own RAM size, AGP transfers aren't ever actually used. Thus, there is no actual performance delta between 4x and 8x modes anyhow.

Gone
    "Besides, outside of professional 3D rendering where scene sizes regularly exceed the graphics cards' own RAM size, AGP transfers aren't ever actually used. Thus, there is no actual performance delta between 4x and 8x modes anyhow."

I gave up telling people this. Its not sinking in peter. They want 8x cause its a higher #. That all-no reson or rhyme behind it. Just a bigger number. Like mhz when talking cpu's. Dont matter what you say.

"AGP 4x and 8x _both_ use a signalling voltage of 1.5V. 8x mode just reduces the voltage _swing_ to 0.8V."

I understand that. But when a 8x card is in 8x mode its powered by what volts at the card..... 0.8v. Regardless of wether its just reduced at card or mobo. If the mobo trys telling the card its not 8x compat its not gonna work. If video tells mobo its not 8x compat its not gonna work in 8x either. Its gonna take both cooperating. Since that card OBVIOUSLY runs in 8x on other mobo's it means only one thing. Its the mobo. Nothing else nogotiates 8x transfer. You know how it is. 8x or 4x or 2x mode is decided before software even loads (windows) so its on the hardware level entirly. So we have only mobo and video to consider. video O.K. leaves mobo issue. Somhow its not swinging to .8v and that is preventing true 8x. I agree though-why all the bother over 8x I dunno.

P.S. have you tried another card that is 8x. Shot in the dark but the video may be bad. Meaning no the brand or model but just a plain ole botched card needing a RMA. Contact mobo co. and Video co. I would. One of the two is responsible for this madness.

Gamer, slow down-- I think the original question has been forgotten.

He bought an AGP 8x card, and an A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. Some documentation says the motherboard supports 1.5v AGP only even though it supports AGP 8x.

It comes down to the following question

Q: Can a Radeon 9800 run at AGP 8x in an Asus A7N8X Deluxe?

A: Yes.

Gone
    I know deluxe runs 8x. I got one. That and a 9800. But he said some software shows it as 8x others 4x. And still yet-it just dont really matter. 4x is gonna be right with it speed wise.

Ultimate Member
    Gamer, one more time, especially for you:

The SUPPLY VOLTAGE for AGP cards has always been and still is 3.3V!

The differences in voltage are just on the SIGNALLING. AGP 8x still uses 1.5V signalling like 4x does, only the swing (the required voltage difference between a logic 0 and a logic 1) is reduced to allow for the higher signal frequency.

Big difference. Get it. Please.