Thread: Problem booting up - epox 8rda+ mboard

Problem booting up - epox 8rda+ mboard

::I meant to make this post over here instead of the motherboard forum::

Hi, I just got done putting together my computer(epox 8RDA+ mboard) and first booted up into the BIOS and checked a couple things out...then exited without saving anything. Next time it booted it, it is stuck on post code "C0" and a continuous beeping. I tried switching out some RAM, and resetting the CMOS, but no luck. Im not really sure what to do next, Id appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks alot.

According to the manual:

C0 = Early chipset initialization:
    - Disable Shadow RAM
    - Disable L2 cache
    - Program basic chipset registers

I guess i should also note the rest of my setup. Athlon xp 2600+, Vantec Aeroflow, Antec 350W PS, 2 sticks of 3200 DDR ram, Radeon 9800 pro. ok thanks!

How did you go about clearing the CMOS? Try unplugging the PC from the wall then take the battery out for 30 minutes or so before replacing it.
    What make of RAM have you got installed?

I just followed the instructions in the manual for resetting the CMOS. I just moved the jumper for a few minutes, then moved it back to the default position(as stated in the manual).

My RAM is Samsung if I remember right. 2 256MB sticks.

When you clear the CMOS, you must remove power to the motherboard first.

Two ways you can do this. I usually remove the ATX power connector the motherboard, but I've seen where some people just unplug the PSU from the power source, then hit the power button on the front of the machine to remove any residual power.

If you didn't remove power to the board, then the CMOS may have not cleared correctly.
    This area reserved for highly intelligent observations.

just tried all that, plus took the battery out..still stuck on the post code. I guess im just gonna take everything apart and see if i can find the problem. thanks though.

Try, hit the reset botton and hold down the INSERT key while repeatly tapping the DELETE key to get into bios.

little update: i took just about everything apart, only hooked the power up to the mboard and left the processor in(without the aeroflow cooler), turned it on and it got past the 'C0' post. The i put the cooler on and it sticks at 'C0' and starts beeping again. I guess that would mean im doing something wrong with the cooler but im 99% sure its on right. hmmm

edit: well on second though it doesnt really get past 'C0'...with the heatsink off, it gets to the C0 post and then goes dark, the PS shuts off too.
    Last edited by scoob19; 08-30-2003 at 11:08 PM.

You should never test an Athlon with the heatsink off. It's probably fried.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Hopefully the shutdown was the cpu thermal protection. DO NOT start up without a heatsink /fan on an AMD cpu. They burn up in 5-8 sec.
    That said, I have had bios issues with adjustable speed fans with the 8RDA+, when connected to the mobo. The bios would hang during post or while within the cmos setup. Seems the mobo and/or bios health utility doesn't like variable fan speeds, which was ocurring . This issue is listed in the Epox FAQs. But , I switched to an Vantec Aeroflow to cure the issue. I also , had to disconnect the power supply fan from the mobo.
    My guess is the fan is causing a drop in voltage thats effecting the chipset. Check the connection with the cpu fan, and remove any other fan connected to the mobo, see what happens. I'm sure you already have in mind to try a different fan.

I had already tried removing the fan connections from the mobo and connecting them directly to the power supply and it didnt solve anything. Im going to try a new cpu in there.

Also for future reference...what are the minimal components i need installed in order to boot up into the BIOS? Thanks again for your help.

Originally posted by scoob19
    Also for future reference...what are the minimal components i need installed in order to boot up into the BIOS? Thanks again for your help.
    CPU, heatsink with fan plugged in, one stick of RAM and your video card. Plus the keyboard if you want to get into the BIOS settings.

one more little thing..do you think that theres a chance my mobo somehow got messed up during this or is it probably ok? thanks

It's possible, but only if you powered up and left it that way long enough for the CPU heat to damage the thermal sensor in the socket as well. Most times, the board holds up.
    MS MCP, MCSE

thanks, with the heatsink on I only had the system powered, while stuck on the C0 post, for about 15-20 seconds. With the heatsink off(stupid me) for about 4-5 seconds.

I would just replace the CPU, clear CMOS and test the new rig outside the case:

Remove the board from the case, place it on a soft, non-conductive surface near the case and plug in the ATX power. Place the vid card in and connect the monitor. Connect the power. Nothing else needs to be connected. Press down hard on the vid card and use your screwdriver to short the POWER BUTTON pins. See if it POSTs.

Update the BIOS as soon as you can afterward.
    MS MCP, MCSE