Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophe: Athlon XP-M

Catastrophe: Athlon XP-M

Remember that Athlon XP-M 2500+ I ordered? It got here just 25 hours after I ordered it, and so I spent the day wrestling my mainboard into accepting my GeIL Ram (after much gnashing of fangs and flicker-flash of claws).

Once that was up, it was time for the XP-M to go in, so to give you the short conclusion, here's a list of successes and failures.

Failures:

o The lowest Voltage the mobo would feed is 1.60 (XP-M is 1.45v)
    o The processor refused to identify above 800 MHz and was "Unknown CPU"
    o It wasn't all that stable...obviously

Successes:

o It ran at 68 F under the CPU Die (19 C for you Metric types)
    o It ran at 90 F with an ambient case temp of 89 F inside the Die
    o @800MHz it outperformed my old Athlon T-Bird 1.1GHz
    o It arrived unlocked...could set whatever value I wanted, but the mobo would default backwards due to being unable to identify the processor, didn't try to run it OC'd...

AMD might be in for some trouble, they should make these things much more agreeable with systems they're intended to go into, and for desktops where heat is a horrid issue. Instead, I couldn't get it to correctly identify in anything . . . DTR, Desktop, etc..

I would KILL to have a processor that stays this cool and still be stable and perform as well as it did.

Crappy crapola, ohwell
    "Save us Booze, show us the way!"

Sorry to hear the bad news
    "Control, Alt, Delete"

A Windows user's words to live by.

Re: Catastrophe: Athlon XP-M

Originally posted by Dracas
    Remember that Athlon XP-M 2500+ I ordered? It got here just 25 hours after I ordered it, and so I spent the day wrestling my mainboard into accepting my GeIL Ram (after much gnashing of fangs and flicker-flash of claws).

Once that was up, it was time for the XP-M to go in, so to give you the short conclusion, here's a list of successes and failures.

Failures:

o The lowest Voltage the mobo would feed is 1.60 (XP-M is 1.45v)
    o The processor refused to identify above 800 MHz and was "Unknown CPU"
    o It wasn't all that stable...obviously

Successes:

o It ran at 68 F under the CPU Die (19 C for you Metric types)
    o It ran at 90 F with an ambient case temp of 89 F inside the Die
    o @800MHz it outperformed my old Athlon T-Bird 1.1GHz
    o It arrived unlocked...could set whatever value I wanted, but the mobo would default backwards due to being unable to identify the processor, didn't try to run it OC'd...

AMD might be in for some trouble, they should make these things much more agreeable with systems they're intended to go into, and for desktops where heat is a horrid issue. Instead, I couldn't get it to correctly identify in anything . . . DTR, Desktop, etc..

I would KILL to have a processor that stays this cool and still be stable and perform as well as it did.

Crappy crapola, ohwell
    I know how you feel about that chip because my Shuttle AK31 v3.1 was saying the same D*** thing on my chip and would runn crappy come to find out that my board only accepted the Palimineo chip hehe so I hate AMD Chips
    The Peble

.................................................. .................................................. ...
    retrospect edit:
    I reread one more time after writing this, and noticed it arrived unlocked and your mobo 1.45 v issue. Maybe the trick is hardware setting the multiplier on the cpu, so your mobo can recognize it. I choose not to edit the text below from original, maybe u can get some ideas from it.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...

I find contradictory info about the xp mobile FSB:

Newegg.com : AXMH2500FQQ4C; MOBILE Athlon XP 2500+, 1.88 GHz /266MHz BUS 256K

ewiz.com: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AMH25FQQ4C
    AXMH2500FQQ4C; XP Mobile 1.88GHz 45W 333MHz CPU OEM

Are u shure your xp-moblie has 266 mhz front side buss?
    If by any chance u got hold of 333 mhz fsb cpu and try to run it with a 266 mhz chipset mobo, that would explain the severly underclocked cpu u end up with.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?threadid=42809

If u have a 333mhz fsb cpu, in order to get your cpu to boot up properly at 266 mhz fsb u would have to do a multiplier mod, on the " L1 bridges" to change the multiplier from 11 to 14 as explained in forum thread above.

Excellet interactive guide on how to change to multiplier:
    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht..._painting.html
    http://www.ocinside.de/

$$ Alternatively u can use the "muliplier controller" socket adapter, supplied by: http://www.upgradeware.com/english/p...ptmc/xptmc.htm I especially noted on its features, that is Supports QuantiSpeed Architecture!

I hope this can help somehow, i myself would love to run the athlon xp-mobile 2500+ in pair on my asus dual amd 266mhz fsb motherboard, and info i have read on a japanese site suggests the L5 bridge mod to convert normal bartons to Athlon MP´s is aplicable on the xp 2500 mobile too!
    (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel....html&lp=ja_en)
    I am after a really quiet dual cpu system that is watercooled with passive radiator, (http://www.innovatek.de/contentServ/...9/konvekt1.gif), and this might just do the trick!

If u are able to somehow work the issues out pls let us know as i will then most certainly get a pair myself!
    Last edited by spatte; 10-07-2003 at 01:33 AM.

First up, that whole lump of Information is grossly misleading...

The most glaring issue is that the AMD Athlon XP-M and ANY Athlon XP processor cannot be run in Multiprocessor mode, no matter what you do to the L-Cache bridges. The Cores steppings (EG, their innards) don't allow for it, and theres almost no "Easy" (or otherwise) pencil trick to convert an XP into an MP.

Second up, the XP-M processors are quite strictly FSB 266 (I had one, I ran it through the barrage, the modifications, the fun, and the sweet defeat.) While they arrive and unlock like any 2500 barton, theirs some very minute changes made to the innards of these processors, either in the package itself, or in baseline logic that makes them AUTOSELECT THE FSB. If the chipset can't cater to the Autoselect function, the processor operates at the lowest common denominator. I confirmed this with some local hardwareheads.

thats why it never clocked no matter how I said it, it requires a special instruction of some sort to tell the processor what bus speed to run at. Many Laptop makers are only now catering to the needs of the XP-M, albeit they'll become more and more usual along with the FX and 64 processors.

So unless some wise-man at a corporate headquarters somewhere decides to make a powerful chipset that can cater to the XP-M's needs, its going to be a no-roll.

But I tell you, it was nice having a processor that idled only 2 degrees over room temperature, and never broke 89 degrees under load...

Re: Re: Catastrophe: Athlon XP-M

Originally posted by RLemmon

I know how you feel about that chip because my Shuttle AK31 v3.1 was saying the same D*** thing on my chip and would runn crappy come to find out that my board only accepted the Palimineo chip hehe so I hate AMD Chips
    You hate AMD chips because you own a MB that only accepts Palamino XPs? You may as well hate Intel and Cyrix as well. No way your motherboard can run those.
    yo trick, why you so **** doofus?

I'll buy that line of reasoning
    gch306

*cough, cough*

Isn't an AMD XP-M chip s'posed to be for mobile computing (Laptops), hence the Low v. + temps, or did I miss something?

AMD-MP is the multi-processor chip isn't it?

Re: *cough, cough*

Originally posted by Strawbs
    Isn't an AMD XP-M chip s'posed to be for mobile computing (Laptops), hence the Low v. + temps, or did I miss something?

AMD-MP is the multi-processor chip isn't it?

You didn't miss anything. I guess Dracas just wanted to see if it would work. Then again, he is complaining that AMD didn't make it's laptop CPU more agreeable with his desktop system. It is a desktop system you installed it in, right Dracas?

Catastrophe: Athlon XP-M

Doh! I don't have that board no more hehe I went out at the time and bought the new Intel Pentium 4 Soyo Dragon 2 P4I875PE - (PE) for Platinum Edition and I went out and bought was a top of the line chip hehe Pentium 4 800Mhz FSB 3.0Ghz CPU with hyperthreading and I also have 2x256=512 CORSAIR XMS PC3200 400Mhz DDR DIMM and you wander why 2x256 is because that will enable Dual Channel on my motherboard I tell you that is the best thing I had ever gone with because it does ausome jobs with the games and programs that I use. I also have intagrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit ethernet and the bios is overclocable and is jumperless but I don't run it overclocked for the reason I don't know a whole lot about it and I want to keep that 400 dollor CPU hehe.

I hope you druell over this system I know my friend does hehe with the 550 Watt PSU and E-Geforce FX 5600 256MB 8X Enabled I was going to get the 5900 but heard a lot of bad stuff and I hate NVDVD because there software is not what it is yet hehe but it will be hip hop in a few years.

I also went ahead and put windows xp Pro on here too just to use the new hyperthreading that I so love and that I don't get the BSOD I like the new send confirmation you get when a lockup happens to a program and you end the task and the better security that I have over my network hehe well just thought I should update this and let you all know oh and I used arctic alumina on the GPU on the video card and CPU to take affect of the better cooling.

I also love the clearness and skip free graphics with this 21" CRT Monitor.
    Last edited by RLemmon; 10-08-2003 at 02:08 AM.
    The Peble

I'll have you know that your new board won't run a P3 or a Centrino. Looks like you're about to start hating Intel.

I love the way Intel has made this.

I am happy that intel makes a CPU mounting Bracket made of metal on there boards so that I can mount a tooles HSF onto my chip thats one thing AMD has not done to theres yes you can buy one but thats not what I want I want one that comes with the board and intels does. Do you understand I LOVE INTEL with my HEART I am not flaming AMD and by the way I am stating an Opinion so your Opinion is your Opinion now I will be leaving I just thought I would add my
    The Peble

lol

Gone
    "I am happy that intel makes a CPU mounting Bracket made of metal on there boards so that I can mount a tooles HSF onto my chip thats one thing AMD has not done to theres "

First off its not metal unless you got a `special` one. My Asus P4T-E (P4 mobo) was plastic HSF retainer. Oh and as for amd not having it. Welp-you havent looked at opteron and FX have ya. AMD makes it now too-rest assured. THe new AMD hsf aint much diff then the P4's style now.

Re: Re: *cough, cough*

Originally posted by Plaster

You didn't miss anything. I guess Dracas just wanted to see if it would work. Then again, he is complaining that AMD didn't make it's laptop CPU more agreeable with his desktop system. It is a desktop system you installed it in, right Dracas?
    Nope, tried it first in a DTR

Though it would have been nice to get it to work in the Desktop, so I tried that next lol