Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WILL YOU GO LINUX?

WILL YOU GO LINUX?

The new worm attacks show that microsoft never will be up to the job - Time for a new contender>?

Yep pretty bad - on par with Kournikova.
    With RPC bug is making things even worse.

Shucks my virus checker never has been taxed until this week....

so

gO lINUX go

Looks like linux is going to be the future first desktop operating system for the New Novell system - its the future , interface is way ahead of microsoft - very futuristic interface and so many functions available the desktop will be the control centre just like Startrek - waaahay call me mr Spock!!! - menus are dead....!!!

perfect timing for Novell I reckon if they handle it right
    BIG BLUE go Linux

WILL YOU GO LINUX?
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

No way - and lay off the belladonna, dude.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Primadonna surely???
    Just say no..........
    drugz are bad................
    just like to spice things up !!!

Been to a novell symposium - pretty impressed and thats a rarity these days.

Im determined to push Linux for our organisation and the management is starting to listen - strange but true

Linux is the future for business desktop...

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/n/nighde05.html
    Last edited by omendata; 08-21-2003 at 06:57 PM.
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Originally posted by omendata
    ...and the management is starting to listen - strange but true.[/url]
    Usually managements keep saying "We're spending to much money, we'll go bankrupt, we gotta cut on expenditure" but when you propose ending software expenses with dozens or hundreds of their computers they always seem uptight...If you have an employee that only uses Word, why pay for Windows and Word when you can spend nothing on Linux with OpenOffice?

They are uptight because they have been taught microsoft'ese for too long and dont rely on their IT guys to provide input...
    Novell is increasing Linux connectivity and have just bought over a linux company - seems obvious to me!!!

Futuristic NOS with amazing desktop "be the captain of your own Starship Enterprise" sounds good to me....JUST HOPE nOVELL decides to change its advertising / - product documentation is essential something that Novell have forgotten , if they ever did remember!~!!

BUT THEN I AM A SAD OLD SCIFI FAN!!!
    Last edited by omendata; 08-21-2003 at 07:24 PM.

linux COULD be the future. First, they have to make it so that installing and maintaining/using it isn't a rite of passage in becoming a nerd. Then they have to get third parties to develop for it, but most importantly, it must appeal to a large market(aka the people who don't build thier own computers and/or code).

Now, the main obstacle to all these so far is that linux is made by nerds for nerds for the most part. Nobody has actually tried to make it easy for the common man. This has made linux very cutting edge, but at the same time, reliant on technology standards from ten years ago.

Example- You want to install the Unreal Tournament 2003 demo. You download the necessary ut2k3.bin file. The common user would, at this point, go to where they downloaded it, and double click it. Surprise! nothing happens, or an error message appears. What they don't know is that they have to open up a console, which is DOS in windows to them(going backwards , and type in
    sh /home/avguserjoe/unreal/ut2k3.bin. Then, they go to install it, click next and...Surprise! you have to be root to install it in the default folder. They may or may not know how to change the installation directory, but even if they do, they won't know which places they can and cannot write to. To fix this problem, they have to start a new console session(or close and reopen) and start with su root followed by the password. Then, they must repeat the earlier process, and only then will they have the program installed.

In windows, this is pretty much download, find, double click. Now, you tell me which OS the average uninformed gamer is going to want.

I forsee this becoming another Linux vs Microsoft threads....LET ER RIP BOYS!!!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I just finished converting my 4th system at home to Red Hat 9.0 tonight. #5 will probabely be on tap for tomorrow night.

The Seti command line client rips big time on the dual AMD 2400+ systems under Linux.

Ive always used microsoft but having tried linux last year i couldnt believe how easy it was to install - there is just so much more in it than Msoft and its kinda refreshing...

These arguments have been going on for years:-

Anyone remember

Pacman vs Space Invaders

BBC Micro - vs Spectrum

CBM64 vs Spectrum vs BBC

Oric Atmos VS Dragon32/64

Windows Vs OS/2 Warp

PSX vs Dreamcast

AMD vs Intel vs IBM

In each case one was obviously the superior machine/etc but it was nearly always the inferior that was selected...time for a change!!!

Besides Ive always sided with the underdog over the big bully
    Cmon you've got to get real when you see the way microsoft offers patch after patch after security bulletin etc etc etc
    How many technicians out there are praying for linux after a week of RPC patching and Stinger deployments!!!
    Either windows needs complete rebuilt from the ground up with all that we know now or its an alternative that is better for business

We are talking business here - I doubt URT2003 quite falls into what I had at mind but nevertheless when it conquers the business world the entertainment industry is sure to follow
    What sort of os do you imagine are in a lot of digital appliances - it aint windows , yes its linux , beos etc just like crusoe is the choice over intel for processor.......

power needs are what is driving technology advancement.......

pause for thought
    Lets just hope Novell can pull it off.....They always did deserve the title of Best NOS....
    Last edited by omendata; 08-21-2003 at 08:04 PM.

I'll try it if it's going to be as good as you say.

For patches though;
    Does Linux or Cisco or anyone else get the huge publicity when they have to patch flaws?

Does any product get prodded and probed for weaknesses more than an MS one?

Does any company face more hatred than MS?

These very questions make me feel sad about the public in general, but do offer compelling reasons to seek different avenues.

P. S. omendata, you forgot Beta vs. VHS.

Originally posted by omendata
    WILL YOU GO LINUX?
    When hardware and software compatability rivals that of windowsXP. I don't have all day and night long to fool around looking for a particular brand of modem/mobo/etc to run on mandrake when I can walk down the street and buy one that will work on a windows based machine.

You give me those two perks and I'll switch. Until then, forget about it.

Ultimate Member
    I wont go linux purely because of Virii, simply because ive got me napper screwed on and know how to deal with em.

I will however go Linux when they get a decent gaming API and the ease of use thing is improved a little more, hardware suport is more or less there now given the use of PnP systems in the lieks of Xandros, so, it's gettign there, slowly but surely

--Jakk:T

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    I wont go linux purely because of Virii, simply because ive got me napper screwed on and know how to deal with em.

I will however go Linux when they get a decent gaming API and the ease of use thing is improved a little more, hardware suport is more or less there now given the use of PnP systems in the lieks of Xandros, so, it's gettign there, slowly but surely

--Jakk:T
    I agree with Jakk, there isn't as many games on Linux as there are with Windows. And I've grown up with Windows all my life.

So to answer your question: NO, I will NOT go Linux.

P.S. I totally agree with the points cdroman made.

Middle Age Member
    Rockin' on without Microsoft -an article worth reading.

-and as touching Linux, I'm already there.

Originally posted by cdroman
    Does Linux or Cisco or anyone else get the huge publicity when they have to patch flaws?

That's because they have an extremely minor slice of the market nowadays, if compared to MS.
    Does any product get prodded and probed for weaknesses more than an MS one?
    That's because MS has a much larger slice of the market nowadays, when compared to others like UNIXes, Solaris, etc...
    Last edited by bassman; 08-22-2003 at 03:55 PM.