Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Reveals New Lineup

Nvidia Reveals New Lineup

..so they are going to be making "value" versions of the 5200, 5600, and 5900?

I wonder what the 5200 SE will be comporable to, perhaps a GeForce2 MX 400

Even less performance for the dollar than before! Is that going to be their new advertising slogan? I'm losing respect for Nvidia faster than a cat runs with it's tail on fire.

What about the 5700 FX, sounds cool

I think the 5700 will capitilize on the mistakes that they've made in the past.

"Even less performance for the dollar than before! Is that going to be their new advertising slogan? I'm losing respect for Nvidia faster than a cat runs with it's tail on fire."

All that and you haven't even seen the specs for the cards...way to make an *** out of yourself...no offense, but judgement without reason is reason enough not to judge.

Dreamwalker,

With the previous releases of Nvidia FX cards, its no wonder that "Someone Stupid" has an opinion of these cards already, even I do...the only decent FX card out is the 5900 Ultra, and if NVidia is going to scale down these latest cards and call them "economy", they will truly be a disappointment

You don't know how much they will be scaled down, nor how much the price will be dropped, we might end up with a better price/performance ratio than before...maybe even making some of the cards worth buying for users on a budget...

I'm not defending the cards or anything, but I'm really sick of hearing people shoot down Nvidia because the cards didn't match up to ATI...people the cards may not be as good as anything ATI put out, but it doesn't make them bad cards...I don't know..whatever.

Why does the subject of nVidia vs. ATi attract so many trolls?

Dreamwalker,

I'm not criticizing NVidia...i own a TI 4600 myself...all i'm saying is that i'm disappointed with the FX series...NVidia should improve their existing cards before they start to scale them down

yeah, when nvidia gets it right, they are pimpin. the fx5900 is a **** good card, as is the tixxxx series. the fx series however sucked (cept for the 5900) and should never be spoken of again.

also: look at what ati does, they take old cards and make them awesome (dx9, 256mb 9600 pro). nvidia is going in reverse. this is bad.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

MJCfromCT has it dead on. I used to be a hardcore nvida fan, but I'm not going to throw my money at garbage. With others here with ATI cards that were BBA saying the drivers were now up to par with nvidia pretty much. I found a refurbed BBA 9700 Pro for cheap, just had the courage to flash it with a 9800 Pro bios and it runs excellent. Once I get my 21" trinitron back I'll be able to really run games at super high res' with eyecandy at full... the 9700 I had to scale one or the other back a bit. Still haven't overclocked the chip past 9800 specs - don't think I will since the 9700 pro nearly did everything I wanted it to on a 21" monitor, just had to give a little somewhere to get high framerates, now I shouldn't need to do that even. My heavily OC'd and vmodded albatron 4200 ti is sitting in a box just incase the card goes up, but it's running great and is quiet to boot.

The fx5900 Ultra is a card that nvidia released only rather recently and that is the only card that lives up to the hype that the original fx was supposed to have, yet a card with no fan that was on the market for a while and didn't sound like a highdryer with a mean streak ran equal to better than it. As for specs, specs don't mean anything. That card was clocked at 500 / 1000... Everyone in the tech community expressed doubts about the 128 bit interface except nvidia themselves. That card had such a short shelflife as they yanked so quick that if you own one, in ten years you'll probably be able to sell it as a collector's item. Nvidia has no one to blame for ATI beating them now than themselves. ATI solved their driver problems, has whipped their manufacturers into shape in regards as to speeds, as I'm not hearing of underclocked cards that PBA's anymore. So they are nvidia with better graphics and can put their money where their mouth is, though they never open their mouth as big as nvidia, which is why nvidia looks so foolish right now. They talked the talk, but couldn't walk the walk.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 08-20-2003 at 04:18 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Dreamwalker
    I think the 5700 will capitilize on the mistakes that they've made in the past.

"Even less performance for the dollar than before! Is that going to be their new advertising slogan? I'm losing respect for Nvidia faster than a cat runs with it's tail on fire."

All that and you haven't even seen the specs for the cards...way to make an *** out of yourself...no offense, but judgement without reason is reason enough not to judge.
    Well the fact that all the FX cards except for the 5900/5900 Ultra pretty much suck ***, gives him reason enough to form a pretty well thought out opinion on the matter... I for one agree.

lets just hope the next line of cards (Post Fx) will bring Nvidia back on top

Originally posted by Yoshi
    lets just hope the next line of cards (Post Fx) will bring Nvidia back on top
    i for one would actually prefer ati to stay on top as their cards tend to be 50-100 dollars less than nvidia.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

I just picked up a BFG Asylum 5700 Ultra and I've got to say that I'm very impressed. I had been using a Geforce4 for the last couple of years and recently got into a Radeon 9700 Pro that was the biggest mistake of my life. The grief that card caused me was unbelievable. Just to clarify, YES I was running Catalyst 3.9's, YES I formatted a new HD before installing the drivers, YES I tried everything under the sun to get that card to run problem free, and YES it was a big disappointment. When it worked, it looked great at 4XAA and 8XAF. I just wasn't willing to deal with the instability issues. Nvidia has NEVER let me down in this respect, which is why I will probably not return to ATI unless someone puts a gun to my head. I don't exceed 1280x1024, so the 5700 ultra is a perfectly fine card for what I'm doing.

Here's a good review of the card I bought:

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/bfg_ge...ra/index.shtml

Also, there's clearly a reason that ATI provides no toll free tech support number, only a LD number in Canada. They'd probably be broke if they subsidized all of the troubleshooting calls coming in. I have never had an issue with an Nvidia card in any of my systems, but the three ATI's that I bought recently caused nothing but problems. Unfortunate, because the anti aliasing was some of the best I've ever seen. . .