Thread: XP or Home Edition?

XP or Home Edition?

I apologize if there is a thread discussing the advantages already here (I missed it in that case), but I've heard many different opinions, so I'm not quite sure what to believe. It was to my understanding that XP Pro was a much more stable OS than Home Edition was. It's come to my attention recently that it may only be a difference in the networking power that XP Pro is capable of compared to Home Edition, and that they are both the same in stability.

I would be bummed out if I got Home Edition and discovered my Linksys wireless network was not able to function on Home Edition (although I seriously doubt this would be the case).

The real question is who is right? I plan on buying WinXP OEM, and I'm torn on which version I should get. I've had experience with Pro, and I like it, but I don't know if Home Edition is worth the money saved. Any suggestions or help is appreciated! Thanks!

ziroi
    My computer is old, but it runs great!

Re: XP or Home Edition?

Originally posted by ziroi
    It was to my understanding that XP Pro was a much more stable OS than Home Edition was.
    What a crock. I use Home and I love it. You should save your money.
    MS MCP, MCSE

what a busy couple of days! geez.

pro is more for a corporate environment where you would be connecting to domain. it also has a few extra security features, like EFS. I don't think the casual home user will need pro. you could just get xp home and use the extra money for ram or something.

So getting home will not cause problems with our home-based linksys network then? That sounds good! I was actually under the misnomer that Home was, stability wise, poor compared to Pro. I'm willing to give Home a shot since it is cheaper, and I'll probably get an OEM product too. You save even more in this way! So, I stand corrected on my belief.

Thanks guys!

xp home is designed for peer to peer networks. it should work just dandy with the linksys stuff.

Very cool. Quick question though, I am going to buy an OEM version of Windows XP Home. Any differences besides retail package? I know any piece of hardware needs to be shipped (or bought) with it, and I believe that you cannot receive Microsoft Tech support under certain conditions, and the manual doesn't come with either. But is there anything else particularly different I need to note? Thanks!

No difference at all.
    MS MCP, MCSE

nope

nope no diff