Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Legal Issues Not a Concern for File Swappers

oh alright, i didnt even know that, thanks.

I just heard that more than one person can use a screen name, so i thought that it would be hard for them to find it. But i guess i was wrong. lol.. thanks.
    2003 Compaq Presario S5000CL
    512 Megs of DDR Memory
    ATI Radeon 9200 128 meg Graphics card
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Processor
    2.3 GHz
    100 Gig Hard Drive
    + more

How is it not the same thing?

Stealing CDs isn't the same thing as downloading music. Again, I didn't say it wasn't theft (and I didn't say it was) but I CERTAINLY DID say that it isn't the same thing, how can you possibly deny that?

Allow me to help you out of that black and white mindset. Here's some MORE things that aren't the same:

Snorkeling, operating a submarine.
    Digging in your yard, drilling for oil.
    Shooting someone, Hiroshima.

But you're still underwater! But you're still putting a hole in the ground! But it's still murder!

You can spout logic like this all day, but it's besides the point. Doesn't mean there isn't a difference. And it doesn't change the laws of cause and effect. Action, appropriate reaction. Now I'll ask a simple question which brings us back to the start: Is the RIAA's reaction appropriate?

-Necide

not a legal issue

No I don't think it is but nonetheless, they are doing what they are doing and with the connivance of an ultra right wing government bending over forwards to please the rich and
    ***k the not so rich.

Mind you our "New Labour" government isn't that far behind the George Dubya gang.
    BTW, Have you noticed he can't say nuclear?
    He says nucular every time. So much for the Texas boards of education.
    Doc.

At least its not as bad as the Ohio or Georgia Board of Education.

People still look at me funny when I slip and say "Up'air" and "Down'air" or "O'er thar"

Yup. Yup is a stupid word to. Don't forget Yup.

"Save us Booze, show us the way!"

Completely unrelated, but...

Someone once told me "yup" is the F bomb in Russian. They must think southerners are the rudest people...

Re: How is it not the same thing?

Originally posted by Necide
    Stealing CDs isn't the same thing as downloading music. Again, I didn't say it wasn't theft (and I didn't say it was) but I CERTAINLY DID say that it isn't the same thing, how can you possibly deny that?

Allow me to help you out of that black and white mindset. Here's some MORE things that aren't the same:

Snorkeling, operating a submarine.
    Digging in your yard, drilling for oil.
    Shooting someone, Hiroshima.

But you're still underwater! But you're still putting a hole in the ground! But it's still murder!

You can spout logic like this all day, but it's besides the point. Doesn't mean there isn't a difference. And it doesn't change the laws of cause and effect. Action, appropriate reaction. Now I'll ask a simple question which brings us back to the start: Is the RIAA's reaction appropriate?

-Necide
    When you buy music, you are buying a copyrighted piece of material on a CD, tape, vinyl, Mini Disk, whatever flavour media you choose. Your choice of media is irrelevant.
    The copyrighted material is the important bit. That’s what your money is paying for.
    If you decide not to pay for the media and just download the copyrighted material instead, you are effectively obtaining goods without paying for them.
    That my friend is theft. Look it up in a dictionary if you need greater clarification.
    There is no grey area; it is simply black and white.

Incidentally, I agree totally that the price of music/games/software is astronomical.
    I download tunes too.
    However, I am not pretending to be an outstanding pillar of the community and trying to justify my actions as being OK.
    Theft is theft however you dress it up. Lets be clear about what we are doing and not Bull***t about it.
    I’d love a Rolex watch, just because Rolex charge the earth for them doesn’t mean its ok for me to go and steal one.

Is the RIAA's reaction appropriate? NO it isn't.
    Use steganography and PGP encripted disks to store your MP3s and you have no evidence of any downloads at all. Your views on that one please.

YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO ACQUIRE POPULAR MUSIC.

ya well... it became apparent quite a long time ago that most of these people are just class warriors... which is why I haven't endeavored to post anything further on this subject. I'm done trying educate sensationalists.

Music is overpriced, so let the free market decide. And if you want to fight it by stealing it, don't cry when companies do the _right_ thing by going after individuals _instead_ of trying to pass things like the DMCA. Going under current law is much better than passing new, intrusive, abusive laws. But no, certain people still want to make a fuss, _even_ when the right thing is being done.

It's not right to go after thieves? Oh, great business model! Easy for you to say. You're an armchair quarterback. You don't want to pay for the music, but you want the music to be produced.

If the prices are too high, don't buy it. The market will respond.

And people who complain and whine have no solution. Lower the prices? If people stop buying the music, the prices will go down.
    If people continue to pay for the music at current prices, THERE IS NO REASON TO CHARGE LESS. YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO ACQUIRE POPULAR MUSIC.

What do you suggest? An intrusive government law to lower the prices? Yeah, that's just like you idiots: you don't actually care about government intrusion *if* it benefits you _in_the_short_term_. You don't care about what's right and wrong, you just want to whine about everything, because you're a worthless child.

--sanity (going insane as usual)

To my mind it is simple.
    I have a massive vinyl and CD collection. I’m talking HUGE.
    Regardless of what the law says, I operate on this basic principle.
    Once I purchase a CD it belongs to me. I don’t own the rights to the music but I do own this particular copy of the tune. It’s mine to do with as I see fit.
    I supported the artist by purchasing their work and I’m not ripping anyone off if I choose to record these tunes in mp3 format.
    It is a convenient way to access all my collection from one point for my personal listening pleasure and a nice backup medium should anything happen to the original version.
    Currently I have MP3ed most of my CD library but the vinyl takes a little more time and effort as you cant just rip it as you would a CD.
    It is much easier to get an MP3 from someone else who’s done it already.

CD costs are far higher than they need to be but even if they weren’t, there will always be those who won’t pay for legitimate versions whatever the price.
    It doesn’t matter how many people they prosecute or how many file sharing networks they shutdown. You will never stop people from copying and swapping copyrighted material.
    Given the choice, most people would rather pay for the genuine article than a copy.
    If the purchase price of a CD is brought within reach of the average customer then the problem will go away all by itself and the music industry would sell more products.
    Last edited by Kandar; 08-28-2003 at 09:14 AM.

Re: YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO ACQUIRE POPULAR MUSIC.

Originally posted by sanity
    If the prices are too high, don't buy it. The market will respond.
    That is nonsence. The myth of the "free market" died twenty years ago. The major labels have already been caught working together to keep the cost of CDs high - i.e. Price Fixing

By price-fixing they are not operating within the "free market", so why should we?

Also, how much do you think you are supporting the band by buying the CD? Not much. Go to the shows if you want to support them. Buying a CD just lines a fat-cat's already bulging back pocket.

I buy CDs, when I can afford, but I prefer to go to live gigs, and will not increase my purchasing until the labels start paying their artists more.

It is hypocritical to accuse someone of ripping off a musician, and then support a company that does the same on a much larger scale.

Originally posted by ParrotBoy
    It is hypocritical to accuse someone of ripping off a musician, and then support a company that does the same on a much larger scale.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    Last edited by Kandar; 08-28-2003 at 09:11 AM.

I also agree 100%.
    --KDoggMDF--

I have no further rebuttal... you guys nailed it with the last few posts!

Cheers

Musicians are not slaves. They sign contracts. The wisdom of that commitment is debatable, but the rule of law isn't.

It doesn't matter what logic rains upon you in buckets, you're going to see things from the unprincipled, whiny perspective of the modern-day consumer.

Just keep wielding your torches, and keep screaming and firing up that mob mentality, not thinking but just feeling, having a big fun party, using no sense at all.

Legal issues

Being the one who started this whole thread - which has now gone a long way from the original question - I think it may well be time we hit the whole thing on the head. It just gets argumentative and really has no outcome.
    Problem is, being just a newbie as 'twere, I don't know how to shut it down.
    Doc

Found this on Fox News, thought it was pretty interesting, guess the RIAA doesnt want to **** too many people off.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96509,00.html
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU