Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Overheating" XP 2400

"Overheating" XP 2400

I recently installed an Aero 7+ Heatsink/fan on an Athlon XP 2400 on Asus A7V333 mobo. I used Arctic Silver thermal compound on the heatsink and cpu die as per instructions from Arctic Silver website. The heatsink mates properly on the cpu die but the motherboard reports temps of 85 degrees immediately when I turn on the computer and then shuts down automatically when it reaches 90. I've tried reseating the heatsink, cleaning cpu and reapplying thermal compound, with/without copper shim, all with the same result. The heatsink is not even warm to touch, nor is the cpu. This seems to indicate a false reading. At first I thought that I may have gotten Arctic Silver on the diode and shorted something out but the temperature sensor for XP processors is a diode inside the die itself so that rules out that theory. Could this possibly be a motherboard/bios issue? Is the cpu fried? Thank you to anyone for help on this matter.

There are some misconceptions here:

1. The presence of a diode in the CPU doesn't assure that this is how thew temperature is read - that's determined by the motherboard.

2. The heatsink being cool indicates that the heatsink is not working. Heat should be transferred to it immediately.

3. The CPU cools off very fast after you power down. It doesn't hold heat very well (luckily). By the time you get the heatsink off, it will be cold.

Never power up a motherboard without the heatsink in place and greased. It takes all of 5 seconds to destroy the CPU because there is not thermal protection.

I would suspect that either the CPU is fried or the heatsink is not sitting dead flat on the CPU core. Take the motherboard out and mount the heatsink carefully. Look at it in profile so that you can be sure it's not mis-mounted.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    sounds mor eliek a fault with the motherboard than the CPU to me, to be sure, try it in another board and see what the temp readings are like

--Jakk

Overheating XP 2400

Thank you for your explanation, Bipolar Bill. What you say makes sense but I could swear that the cpu is not overheating, based on ones that have barbecued in the past. I could actually feel heat from those and this heatsink and cpu are cool to touch. The temperature reading in the bios jumps immediately to 85 the minute the computer is turned on and shuts off within a few seconds when it gets to 90. I know Athlons will fry in seconds with no heatsink/fan but in this case the heatsink looks like it is mating properly on the die based on a visual inspection and the thermal compound is applied properly. The instructions for the Aero 7+ suck and there is no illustration of which way the heatsink mounts on the cpu. In the case of the A7V333, it seems that the retention spring handle needs to fact the back of the computer. It would be impossible to use one of the RAM slots otherwise due to the handle being in the way. As for the location of the temperature sensor on the A7V333, I believe it gets it's reading directly from a diode on the cpu rather than the mobo itself. My theory about thermal compound shorting something out is pretty much grasping at straws and not the likely cause but I'm stumped as to what else it could be.

one question.. is the 85 and 90 in Celcius or Fahrenheit? Cause if its Fahrenheit there's absolutly nothing to worry about... Its hard for an athlon to run under 100F without watercooling or some big *** fan on the heatsink.

if its 90 C i have no clue what to tell you... sounds like its a problem with the diode cause it would've probably fried the cpu for being that hot...

85 C

It's centigrade. I'm thinking now that maybe the cooler needs to be mounted with the handle of the retention spring facing the front of the computer (and obstructing one of the RAM slots). Anyway, it's worth a try and I'm out of other ideas...

I have the same Aero7+ heatsink fan combo ...The base of the heatsink has a raised\bevelled edge, that edge must sit over the raised edge of the CPU socket!

If you need the ram socket for use you can always dismantle the HSF and turn the release lever the other way around as I had to.

Last edited by Strawbs; 08-01-2003 at 03:58 PM.

I have the same Aero7+ heatsink fan combo ...The base of the heatsink has a raised\bevelled edge, that edge must sit over the raised edge of the CPU socket!
    **** he beat me too it

once i had a 1.4 and put the cpu cooler in backwords(still mounted stirdy just the cpu socket parts thats rased wasnt mating with the heatsink side that had the extra 3-4 mm stepping out of it, user error there) and i had the exacte problem but i figured it out the first go, but i remember opening the bios and watching the temp go from 70-99 in about 4 seconds, and i pulled the plug istantly, luckly didnt frie anything but it was hella scarey :|

Thank You

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it facing the other way and post how it works. I didn't realize that the lever could be reversed. That was faulty reasoning on my part to assume that the heatsink goes one way since the handle interferes with the RAM the other way. It does "look" like it is seated properly. I sure hope I didn't permanently damage the cpu... It would help if there were decent instructions, rather than the useless **** that comes with the cooler. They go to the trouble of making the instructions in 5 languages without bothering to make them useful. Has anyone else noticed that the 3.5" mounting bracket that comes with the cooler is useless? At least it doesn't mount in my case and I can't spare the PCI slot. I think I'll just drill a hole in a plastic 3.5" cover instead...

since it keeps on posting to the BIOS screen I would assume the processor is OK. If it were burnt out it wouldn't post at all.

AMD have recently applied common sense to their manufacturing process and are building in CPU overheat protection, I still don't think they should leave it to mobo manuf's to implement the technology tho', it should be compulsory.

As to the 3 1\2' rheostat mounting plate ...I never tried to use it, so I wouldn't know if it fits (I can's see why it wouldn't tho).

Last edited by Strawbs; 08-01-2003 at 04:01 PM.

What's the advantage of that monster? Is it quiet? Exceptionally cool? Both?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Cool 'n Quiet

supposedly and it looks cool...

The documentation and the design of the cooler retention clip and 3.5 mounting bracket leave a whole lot to be desired in my opinion, though. I am attempting to make my athlon sytem at home as quiet as my work pc (Pentium 4). One thing that helped a lot is using a case with 2 120mm 1500 rpm case fans, rather than the multiple "quiet" 2100 rpm 90 mm fans in the old case. I'm hoping that once I get this system working (if the cpu isn't already burnt toast), I will be able to run the cpu fan at under 2500 rpm and that it will be significantly quieter/cooler than the AX-7/Enermax fan combo it replaced.

It is Both! My box is situated on my desk and backed into a corner so it usually runs very hot (AMD 2600+ @ 50oC+ with an X-Dream), this beast brought the temp down to 46oC average all by it's lonesome, added some arctic silver III and lost another 2oC. it is the quietest large fan I have used, so I don't need to keep messing with the rheostat.

Aero 7+ Comments

After reversing the clip for the heatsink and placing it in the proper direction on the cpu it is no longer heating up to 90 C. It is now around 50 with the fan at 2600 rpm. I sure feel stupid. It occurred to me I probably put the heatsink on backwards just after my first post and the feedback from other really reinforced that theory. Thank you for the advice from people on this board. I'm really happy the cpu still works after all the torture testing I gave it. The lever was easy to reverse, although there is no mention of that in the instructions. The tech support response to my email regarding the handle hitting the RAM was as worthless as their written instructions. The tech support person advised me to move the RAM to slot 1 since the lever blocked slot 0. That isn't a good option for me since I have 3 pieces of RAM. The performance/noise is about the same as the AX-7/Enermax 80mm fan combination at 2400 rpm, although the AX-7 was about a degree cooler at ide and under max load.

I tried several things to reduce noise and improve circulation in the case of this Athlon 2400 pc.

1. All rounded cables, including IDE RAID, primary and secondary IDE, and LVD and 50 pin SCSI cables.

2. 1500 rpm 120 mm case fans.

3. Akasa sound dampening material

The case fans are quieter but do not circulate nearly as well as the multiple 80 mm fans in my old Antec full tower case. The mobo temp is about 4 C hotter and the cpu is around 8-10 degrees hotter than with the previous noisy setup. The rounded cables and padding don't seem to make any noticeable difference. Those rounded SCSI cables are expensive, too. Does anyone know whether all 1500 rpm 120 mm case fans are the same or if there are any super quiet ones?

Balance the fan flow. I like just one 80mm blowing out and one in - on the side or front. If you cause overpressure or a vacuum, the temps will rise and you'll get dust buildup.

Don't overdo it.
    MS MCP, MCSE