Thread: modem strings, router, username and password...

modem strings, router, username and password...

I am working on my home network again, and would like to use my older Cayman router 2E for the gateway to my dialup ISP connection.
    The Cayman has an RS232 port to allow a modem to hook up to the router, so a connection can be dialed out automatically to my ISP. Neat.
    So I am connected to the router via ethernet and can ping, telnet, ect to the router. When I am telnetted into the router, I can enter the command "START PPP" and the modem dials the phone number of the ISP. Also, if I start a PING session to an outside IP address, the modem dials the number. This is because the router is set by default to make a PPP connection whenever packets are coming in or going out.
    The issue is here: There is no place in the router where I can enter the USERNAME/PASSWORD for the ISP authentication, and if I am pinging an address, I would not be prompted to supply the info.
    Can I or is there a way to add the username/password to the dialer string(s) to authenticate with my ISP? How would it be possible to get those two words across the wire to the other side????

thanks, dsandez

RS232 port
    you mean the one that's labeled -- MAINTENANCE CONSOLE -- in the pic on the left side of page 4 of the quick start quide
    http://www.cayman.com/equipment/pdf/cayman/2e_qs.pdf

it's for their "diagnostic console" - see page 113 of the user guide
    http://www.cayman.com/equipment/pdf/.../2e_ug_562.pdf

your's is just the 2E model - one lan port , one wan port ?
    not wireless
    i looked at 4,5 different manuals and none has the ability to use a dialup modem

not the maintenance port, I know what that one iis. In fact I used it to recover my lost password. No, this is a fat 25 pin RS232 port next to the DB9 maint port. Only the old versions of the 2E had it and was discontinued on the newer versions. If you look in the PDF doc for the 2E, at the bottom of the index, you will see a section that covers the "OLDER CAYMAN 2E MODELS". That is where you will find the info on the dialup.
    Any case, Netopia gave me a reply and explained how to configure the dialup serial port with PAP/CHAP authentication thru the CLI, hopefully that'll do the ttrick

It tells you how in the manual under PORT and PEER AUTHENTICATION.

The manual is available from the Cayman website...

TUT TUT...LAZY USERS.....I DONT KNOW.......
    Last edited by omendata; 08-03-2003 at 02:26 AM.
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

well I'll be! It is there!! Got it working.

thanks onemdata

YAY.........
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!