Thread: motherboard refuses crucial ram and accepts generic?

motherboard refuses crucial ram and accepts generic?

SYSTEM SPECS:

Soyo p4vda mobo
    p4 2.0a ghz
    256mb mushkin ddr266 unstable
    512mb mushkin ddr266 unstable
    512mb generic ddr266 will not get past post
    512mb crucial ddr266 "
    512mb crucial ddr333 "
    256mb generic ddr266 WORKS

My brother has a computer that we built about a year ago and are still having problems with it. We finally got it into a somewhat stable mode with a piece of 256mb generic ddr266 and thought that maybe it was the ram that was causing it to be unstable. My brother bought a piece of crucial 512mb ddr266 ram and when we put it into his computer it would not get past testing ram. After I got my crucial ram I tried it in his computer and it did the same thing.

Does this seem odd to any of yall?

Christopher

Crucial specifies certain sticks for compatibility. Is this just any old stick or one designed for that motherboard?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Are there different variations to a 512mb ddr266 crucial piece of ram?

Cause I actually bought the ram at newegg.

Christopher

Any old stick.

Did you check your manual for exact specs for the DDR DIMMS that are considered compatible to the motherboard? Sometimes there are modules that they already have tested to work on that particular motherboard that would be listed on the manual!

Were you trying to mix and match memory modules? It sometimes won't work too well unless they are exactly the same specs for the memory-i.e., the CAS, single or double sided, memory timing, etc., all are sometimes critical issues because sometimes the chipset and BIOS are just too picky!

Again, please check what the motherboard manual lists for tested and certified brands and specs for memory! If they already tested the motherboard for what works, then you know that the contents of their list are memory modules that work for sure. Good luck!

LPTECH

To know which Crucial memory will work on that board, go to www.crucial.com and input your motherboard model.

I have not seen any compatibility lists in the manual.

512mb pc2100 comes up in the list for this motherboard.

Does Soyo usually have problems with memory compatability?

We are in the process of selling the motherboard "as-is" unstable and the processor and switching over to epox 8rda+ and a barton 2500 as we have been working for a year trying to get it to work.

At one point every time the computer froze we had to pull out the ram and put it back in to get the computer to boot. Now all of the ram slots are kind of broken in. (or used up)

Christopher

I bought about 8 Soyo boards over the last few years. Only one has survived. The rest just stopped booting one fine day. Probably bad capacitors...
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Have you tried adjusting your memory timings at all?

Hey bipolarbill do you happen to have some of those boards still laying around? If so and they do have bad capacitors I would be glad to take them off your hands.

I have not messed with the ram timings except for once when we were messing with it a year ago. I will be sure and look at them.

Thanks,
    Christopher

I trashed those boards with great relish.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Oh well.

I did the same with mine. At least there earlier boards worked from the start, now people have problems with newer ones that are right out the box. The kt333 platinum was a damned nightmare to work on - that's when I gave up on Soyo. At that cost I don't expect any real headaches but they would come with plenty fairly often. If I'm gonna have to deal with creative workarounds and such I may as well spend a third as much and get an ECS board which will last longer than the Soyo most likely to boot. Soyo has left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Only Soyo could screw up a (normally foolproof) 440BX motherboard.
    MS MCP, MCSE