Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: if you had the money will u get an apple?

Never ownd a Mac, never used a Mac, saw one once. Have no interest in purchasing one. Now if someone were to give me one, I'll learn to use it. Otherwise, I'll stick to PC's. It's just that I've yet to hear anyone give a compelling reason why I should spend my money for a Mac.
    Lurkin in the shadows, learnin what I can.

No...and never....

MDLarson seems to love them things. Some of his reasons are good reasons and other just plain disgust me.

Having a PC doesn't necessarily mean you are anti-Mac or that you are restricted to only Windows. Linux is still free and happy. I don;t like Apple MAcintosh computers. I do not like thier hardware and their colorful approach to everything from case design to how uselss the power button is. I find most Mac repulsive as a matter of fact. It is a terrible product and should be banned.

Apple however does have a good OS. I must admit that if OS X were availabel on the x86 platform, I'd jump ship and go for it. But I will never leave Linux. There is something in this world far better than Mac OS X and Windows. It is called Linux. You know why it is the best? Well, for one, it is 100% free. and guess what, you do not have to pay a single penny for it. The same cannot be said about Windows or Mac OS.

Apple has lost this battle already. They have two options really. One: GIVE UP! ( I disapprove of this) and Two: Convert( re-create the Mac OS X for the x86 environment. I am sure that if they did this, many WIndows users would jump ship to Apple software but not hardware. The only good hardware I have ssen from Apple is the iPod.

As for visiting Apple stores, there is one around the corner of where I work and I have been inside. You know what I liked about that place...the thought of someone big walking on the glass staircase and then on the glass bridge on the second floor, falling through and sueing Apple for all it is worth. Closing them down for good. Glass stair cases do not attract me at all. As a matter of fact it made me turn away the first few times. I wen t back however to sit in one of their long brainwashing seminars held on the second floor at the store and listened in to everything the man had to say but whenever I aksed a question, he was unable to give a good answer and left us all out of the loop that way. They had no real information to present just a bunch of bullplop....

So in closing, Apple is not worth the cash and never will be. They have a small crowd that follows them but that crowd will not be getting bigger anytime soon. I hope Apple hardware suffers the most. Apple software is still useful in some areas though.

I may seem like I do not like Apple and the truth is I really don't. If this hurts you so much, then I'm happy. Callme whatever you feel like but hey, I still hold my opinions stated above with a tight grasp. Have fun!
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

Sure...why not.
    If I had the money, I'd find a lot more things I'd like to have first..though...

Nothing wrong with learning something new...
    In my office, we have about 100 PCS, and only 1 MAC.
    He's our graphics art designer.

In my previous job, about 200 PCs, and only 1 MAC. Once again, graphic artist...

When I'd go on the road, our Video Production company all used MACs, they seem to be a popular choice for high end graphics and video editing.

I don't buy that **** about being a more stable OS, though...

Wise old saying...if it has b**bs, wheels or wires, it'll give you problems...

Did anyone else hear that Adobe, the premium software vendor for graphics arts on a Mac is no longer going to support the Mac platform? Let's get it sorted.

Really? Where'd you hear that one?

Well...MS doesn't support NT 4.0 workstation anymore, but you can still get service packs, critical updates, etc. for it...

How about right from the horses mouth in Marin County.
    Read This

Macs are on their way out for the top of the line video editing. Just wait and see who follows the lead.

Note the reference to abandoment for MS IE also. It sounds like a shot in the back from MS$ to Apple to me.
    Last edited by ukulele; 08-03-2003 at 09:43 PM.

but whenever I aksed a question, he was unable to give a good answer and left us all out of the loop that way. They had no real information to present just a bunch of bullplop....
    They never EVER have real answers to questions that an informed customer(or so they think) may ask. Is it possible to build a mac? yes, if you go to our website and take on of the base models you can customize it to your needs. No, I mean, can you actually buy one and build it yourself? We don't sell our products piecemeal. Why not? It's not our business model.

Apple hardware and software is not bad at all, individually. Combined, they produce the few advantages and numerous disadvantages to the platform. It does create a near seamless software/hardware combination, but at the same time, it leaves no room for improvement, and terribly overpriced equipment. Megahertz myth or, not, apple is behind, not in terms of sheer power, but in terms of sales and consumer satisfaction.

If you have the money then why would you even consider buying a PC. The only reason to buy a PC is because they are cheap .

Originally posted by izombie
    If you have the money then why would you even consider buying a PC. The only reason to buy a PC is because they are cheap .
    errr what? You could buy(or better yet BUILD) a pc with all the latest greast stuff and spend money like there's no tomorrow creating it!

I think Mac's have there own little niche(I.E graphic artists, video editing) and they should stick to marketing to that niche(all 2% of it)

Adobe and Mac

RE: Adobe and support for the Mac platform...

Adobe recently ceased their development of Premiere for Macintosh. The reason they stopped development of the product was that they could not compete with Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express. In short, these programs kicked Premiere's a** all over the place and Adobe couldn't give Premiere away to Mac users.

As far as not supporting the Mac platform? Completely wrong. They just released After Effects 6 for Mac 3 weeks ago and have every intention of continuing to develop Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and GoLive (among others). Last year Adobe released figures that showed that 38% of the software they sold was to Mac users.

Adobe started as a Mac developer and will ALWAYS be a Mac developer. End of story.

-----QUOTE------

"The dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 ran 45 Adobe Photoshop 7 filters 2.2 times faster than the 3GHz Pentium 4-based system and almost twice as fast as the dual 3.06GHz Xeon-based system. In fact, even the 1.6GHz single-processor Power Mac G5 was 50 percent faster than the 3GHz Pentium 4-based system."

"The dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 ran 45 Adobe Photoshop 7 filters 2.2 times faster than the 3GHz Pentium 4-based system and almost twice as fast as the dual 3.06GHz Xeon-based system. In fact, even the 1.6GHz single-processor Power Mac G5 was 50 percent faster than the 3GHz Pentium 4-based system."
    Notice they make no mention of AMD processors. I wonder why?

Like mireland said, it's a matter of more bang for your buck, not which has the cheaper machine.

I think Mac's have there own little niche(I.E graphic artists, video editing) and they should stick to marketing to that niche(all 2% of it)
    Now, I'm all for niche audiences, but they need to open up their target audience, because if they don't, they can't survive forever. The only reason they are around now is because microsoft would 'have' a monopoly if they went out of business(even though the only thing keeping them afloat is the fact that microsoft doesn't want to have a full monopoly, they just want to have 90% of the market.) Linux gives them a fight, but it simply isn't ready for the average computer user. Mac, advertising only to elitists, n00bs, and art-related fields, gives them a fight for elitist, n00b, and artistic customers.
    Last edited by maje87c; 08-04-2003 at 01:30 AM.

The only reason they are around now is because microsoft would 'have' a monopoly if they went out of business(even though the only thing keeping them afloat is the fact that microsoft doesn't want to have a full monopoly, they just want to have 90% of the market.)
    -----

Pure foolishness. Mac users are irritating in their love for the platform. Have you ever met a Mac user that wasn't totally queer for their Mac? MS's only real power against the Mac platform is their incredibly powerful FUD machine that spreads complete untruths like "Mac's only have 2% of the market...". BS. Here is a link to a Forbes article (06.02.03) that clearly states that Mac is 10% of the market.

I also find it amusing that Mac users actually *purchase* over 35% of all software sold (This figure was from the "Software Developers of America", or something like that. Some sort of industry organization...)

Link: http://www.forbes.com/2003/06/02/cx_...obs_print.html

when i say monopoly, I don't mean it in the sense of what people like/prefer, I mean it in a monetary sense. I'm sure there are plenty of diehard mac fans, but I'd be willing to bet that there are more people using linux than Mac. But, because there is really no way to track who is using linux, we'll never know for sure.

Christ folks, get along already.

Haven't you ever heard of "To each their own"?
    "Save us Booze, show us the way!"

No. Never.