Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is car conversion?

Intimate Member
    Originally posted by Baddog
    351 Windsor......351 Cleveland
    There ya go...thanks, now..if memory serves me (very dangerous, and not to be relied on for important stuff..like b-fast, lunch..dinner etc.!!) Wasn't the Winsor the dud?...sure seems like the Cleveland was the one to get...or, did I get that backasswards?..

The Windsor was the dud. The 351 Cleveland was used in alot of Boss Mustangs and Fairlanes
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

Ultimate Member
    Theres a bloke round these parts apparently has a Rover Metro with the engine from a bloody Lotus Elise in it...thats sick...

Oh and my dad was saying about a mate of his who dropped a Rolls Royce Merlin engine (yes, those used in Prop-aircraft) into a Reliant Scimitar and outran half of Clevland County Police Force in it

--Jakk

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Good old reliant.........

That reminds me.......... "I must retrieve my 'Pencil Sharpener' from behind the radiator"

There were two different 351's..one made in the US wasn't worth much other than a huge boat anchor. The Canadian 351 was supposed to be the one to get
    I always thought the diffence between Cleveland and Windsor V8s was more to do with the block that was used, than where they were manufactured?

I haven't been able to verify either way yet, although my searching did bring me to this site:

http://www.clubhotrod.com

which seems to have a lot of interesting info - gallery, forums etc., so I thought I'd share the link in case anyone here is not completely bored of me going on about cars yet...

That reminds me.......... "I must retrieve my 'Pencil Sharpener' from behind the radiator"
    LOL j.m@talk21.com, I guess your'e referring to the Reliant "Robin" there - as seen in the Mr Bean series. I never thought about it, but I guess they do look like a pencil sharpener!

-------------------------------
    Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, still exists

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Zakalwe
    LOL j.m@talk21.com, I guess your'e referring to the Reliant "Robin" there - as seen in the Mr Bean series. I never thought about it, but I guess they do look like a pencil sharpener!

Pure Quality

Intimate Member
    I always thought the difference between Cleveland and Windsor V8s was more to do with the block that was used, than where they were manufactured?
    I believe you are right. From what I heard from my more talented engine building buddies, they were both 351 C.I. but thats where it ended. They were not the same engine, not the same design...firing order etc. Probably different blocks as well.

I remember another engine back in the 70s and 80s that had soft cam shafts... I saw a few of these being changed out in the shops..man..some had about one half of the lobe left. I think that was a GM engine...350?.. can't remember

dropped a Rolls Royce Merlin engine (yes, those used in Prop-aircraft) into a Reliant Scimitar

I almost forgot, I've got a car magazine at home with some pictures of a '55 Chev in Australia, whch has a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in it. Something like 3000HP standard I believe. This is a current car, ie. put together in the last year or so. The guy has even managed to street-register it ( after a long battle apparently).

The guy has done the paint job like a mock P-51 Mustang or something, complete with USAF stickers, riveted steel look, and cannons along the side!

If I remember, I'll scan the pics and post them here.

Ultimate Member

Mr Bean, pah, only fools and horses was much funnier

As for the Scimitar w/Merlin in it, apparently the fuel consumption on the thing was **** frightening

--Jakk

Mr Bean, pah, only fools and horses was much funnier
    Agreed, agreed agreed agreed

agreed

Tell the truth, I can't stand Mr Bean. Only Fools and Horses was definitely a very funny show.

But if you're talking Rowan Atkinson, then you can't go past Blackadder:

Flash: "I treat my women like I treat my aircraft. Get in 'em five times a day, and take 'em to heaven and back!"

(That line of course was from a cameo by Rik Mayall, although I make no claims as to perfect memory)

BTW, Bigjakkstaffa, how do you get your images to appear in-line, rather than as a link?

----------------------------------------

Ultimate Member
    Indeed black adder was genius, Ben Elton has never done anything to rival it IMO and Tony Robinson really stole the show as far as im concerned although all involved were excellent. It was almost scrapped after the first series y'know, which was really average it has to be said but was saved at the elevnth hour by soem high and mighty at the beeb who demanded it must stay.

As for the image thing, insert a valid url for a web based image between the following

[ IMG ]URL Here[/IMG]

(without the spaces inside the first set of brackets of course

--Jakk

EDIT: If i may quote the final episode of Blackadder goes forth

'I'm off to Hartlepool to buy a pair of exploding trousers'

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    It was almost scrapped after the first series y'know, which was really average it has to be said but was saved at the elevnth hour by soem high and mighty at the beeb who demanded it must stay.
    Aye, tis true. The second series on shifted the roles slightly - previously it was Baldric who was the one who came out on top and Edmund was a bit of a dunce. I agree with Zakalwe, the Rik Mayall cameos were hilarious.

"Lord Flasheart, where have you been?"
    "Where haven't I been? Woof!"

"Where haven't I been? Woof!"
    Excellent, you had me laughing out loud with that one! His Mad Gerald (I think that was the name, you know, the guy who had been locked up for years, but had a key that he had made from his teeth, but was now too mad to use) was pure brilliance also.

Mind you, Blackadder himself was pretty good too, who else can make the name "Bob" sound so funny all by itself?

Mind you, I don't think the first series was so bad, had some excellent moments, like the visit from the Scots cousin, who the king ended up giving most of Edmunds land. Something about a "Thistle-arsed scots git"

As for the image thing, insert a valid url for a web based image
    Thank Bigjakstaffa, does that mean I can't do it with images which I only have on my PC?

Intimate Member

...does that mean I can't do it with images which I only have on my PC?
    Yep, the image has to be available online to be called up when the thread is accessed. Can't happen if the image is on your machine...and you went to Russia fishing!!

Websites are free (some are anyway) Zak...why dontcha get one?..

The thing is, Sysopt must have some storage for images, otherwise how could I attach images to a post.
    I was just hoping there was some way they could be presented in the post...can't see how it could cost more in storage, and it would be a lot more convenient for others than having to click on an attachment.

and you went to Russia fishing!!
    I'm sorry Bovon, but you've lost me there.