Thread: WTF Abit NF-7 v2.0

WTF Abit NF-7 v2.0

The computer shuts down on its own and I get this high/low tones coming from the motherboard. When I try to boot up I can go into BIOS briefly before it shuts down and if I let it go to windows it shuts down right before login screen.

Oh and all the temps are fine and the cpu setting is 10x200. The cpu is an AMDxp2600 and the mem is twinx pc3200 corsair

The temps are not fine - at least not according to BIOS. That is a temperature alarm. It can also indicate that the BIOS thinks the HSF fan has stopped and is shutting you down to protect the CPU.
    MS MCP, MCSE

According to BIOS I disabled auto shut down and the cpu temp is 34c. I had just installed a water cooler and I had pluged the old cpu fan in just to make sure it wasnt the low fan speed shutting it down.

Welp, that's still where the problem lies. The BIOS thinks that the CPU is being fried. Look for condensation.

A BIOS update may help. Other than that, you're in uncharted territory.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    Welp, that's still where the problem lies. The BIOS thinks that the CPU is being fried. Look for condensation.

A BIOS update may help. Other than that, you're in uncharted territory.
    with all the coolers out there that are available, why don't you return your water cooler and use one that'll work with the board and keep the temps down?

Bill's right - there's a good reason that board monitors temps - and you'll have a dead cpu and/or mobo if something happens and you use this workaround

Um according to the pc health status in BIOS the temp is 34c. Plenty cool with no condensation. BIOS is set not to shutdown for over temp and I think 34c is not over temp.

I'm getting testy now. It doesn't matter what the temps are - the BIOS believes that the CPU is overheating or the fan isn't working. That's where you need to concentrate your energies.
    MS MCP, MCSE

What do you have the temp. warning signal a set to? And as long as the mobo has Watchdog, it will shutdown the computer when the system hits a certain temp.

And, how long is briefly for you?

Try resetting the CMOS and see what happens.

Gone
    BPB is right on! Also is the mobo version you have certified for 200fsb. Your northbridge chip may be crapping out at that speed. Is it stable at its REAL settings. I mean you are oclocking here with HIGH fsb! Secondly as Imperion1 said the overheat feature (all dif name mine is C.O.P.) is implemented into bios. You CAN NOT TURN IT OFF> its HARDWARE> the only thing you can turn off is "halt on all errors/halt on non" THats errors not overheating. Like failed mem test at post will be ignored but overheat will never be ignored! The mobo makers wont let you turn off thermal protection as the idea is just well...stupid. Then a virus could also shut it off or you could by mistake turn it off.

Flash to latest bios 17