Thread: List your best mobo/cpu combo!!

List your best mobo/cpu combo!!

I am in the research process of building my old man a pc. He want's the fastest b/c he has the money. Tried to tell him he doesn't have the need for it since he BARELY uses the 6G's storage w/ a 800Mhz intel processor. But he insists, doesn't care and wants a 2.8P4 800 fsb w/ a 100G hdd w/ top of the line video & sound.

Trust me , I tried to tell him considering he only surfs the internet and uses wordpad but he doesn't want to listen. So I am going to simply give him what he wants. If you have a mobo combo that you feel has worked great for you with the least amount of problems overhead please list in this thread. It is greatly appreciated. Below is an idea of what I had in mind.

intel mobo/cpu combo
    $343 - Pentium 4 2.8GHz 800 with cpu, fan

I guess with this he will have something to brag about with his friends. he he

He won't be bragging for long unless he wants to upgrade on a monthly basis. You can simply go for a top of the line MSI NEO- FISR2 or ABIT IC7-G board, or really go hog wild and buy a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra. And why stop at the 2.8 when he can buy a 3.2 for almost 7 benjimans.

Ultimate Member
    Yes, either get the 2.8C retail if you don't want to OC, otherwise obtain the 2.8C OEM and purchase an SLK900U/Panaflow combination. You could also get the 3.0C instead of the 2.8C just to make things even.

Motherboard - Stay away from the Abits, as they have sound recording issues; stay away from Gigabyte, as those boards will fail at the worst moment. I would get an Asus P4C800 or Epox 4PCA3+.

Memory - cosair twin XMS4000, dual channel (get 2x512)

Oh yes, and PLEASE make that system do Folding@home or UD. I can't see so much horsepower not being used most of the time.

Yeah - get the "big guy" (little kid) an MSI with Corsair matched RAM and a solid gold heatsink.

You hafta learn sales, T_B. The customer is always right, whether he's wrong or not.
    MS MCP, MCSE

causticVapor: Just courious... I'm looking at purchasing a Pentium 4 2.4C. I want to understand your comment regarding overclocking. You said to buy "Retail" if not overclocking, and "OEM" for overclocking. Can you explain more. I understand OEM and Retail, but this is the first time I've read to buy OEM for OC. Is it a cost factor -- cause they're basically the same price; warrantly is different for sure; barebones for OEM, but other than that... ?!!

Cheers

Gone

ehundrieser

Its not cause its better for oclocks. Its cause the price dif. between Retail and OEM is REALLY about the 30day vs. 3 YEAR warrenty. The 3 year retail warrenty is shot when you colock. So why pay for it. See

Ultimate Member

OEM vs retail procs

Yeah, why spend extra money for a processor, stock cooler and extended warranty if you are going to use an aftermarket cooler and void the warranty with OCing anyway? (Not that intel would know)

If you are one of those fanatics like me who drools over % overclocks, the 2.4C/OEM is an imperative buy.

Just got my 1700+ up to 2.6GHz today.

Not an Intel fan because of the cheaper AMD chips but why are you not buying a 3gig + chip with HT? Have the 2.8C's got HT? Also give him 1 gig of Corsair memory, that'll give him a screaming machine to 'surf' with!!!! Complete overkill for what he uses it for but I know someone very similar who always wants the fastest machine and has heaps of money and can't reason with him. Want's me to build him a £2000 computer???? I'm still figuring out how to spend it all.Maybe I'll build him a dual processor because I've never built a dual processor system before, will be a good exercise for me at his expense..lol. *sigh* some people just have too much money they don't know what to do with it.

T

If only I were one of those people.
    gch306

Ultimate Member
    All of the 800 FSB P4s have HT. All I'm saying is why not have a 3.6C with a 1200MHz bus? You can do that with a 2.4C, with a 3 or 3.2C, not.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1831
    The Abit IS7 got Anand's coveted Gold Award for Best P4 solution.
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherb.../i875p-46.html
    Over at Tom's this MSI board gave me a *****.
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherb.../i875p-70.html
    Tom's gave the Gigabyte board and MSI board the awards.

I feel like I'm parroting bushmaster again....

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...&refer=bizrate
    Here's a Neo2-LS for $96.

And any P4 'C' would suffice. HT & 800MHz fsb.....*drool*.

All he does is surf, but thinks he needs the 'fastest' computer around? What he needs is fast throughput from the slow @5S hard drives. While you're hooking him up, convince him to go for a 1)great mobo 2)fast but not too fast cpu 3)serial RAID 0+1 on twin hard drives 5) 512-1024 Meg PC3200 Corsair, Mushkin, or other high end & compatible memory. 6)Cable or DSL. I bet his perception of that 'slow' 800Mhz PIII he has now is mostly from the 14.4 connection he gets with dialup. Your best bet is invest in those parts that actually make his computer slow (hard drive, 'net connection and memory).

edit: one more thing. Does he realize how horrible an investment a computer is in terms of depreciation? They don't just depreciate, they suffer from accelerated obscelecence©. Next year his rig will be worth 85%. Next year 55%. By that time Moore will have made sure he owns an outdated budget system that can hardly keep up with the software.

ß
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 07-30-2003 at 12:53 AM.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

you could get an msi 875p neo and a pentium 4 2.4c

if he uses his computer only for surfing he dosen't need that
    a 1.3ghz whold be good enouf for him.(your probably right he
    whants that computer only to brag about it) I know someone
    who has a xeon system and he keep braging about it all the
    the time.