Thread: Barton 2500+, NF7-S Bios 17 cpu temp

Barton 2500+, NF7-S Bios 17 cpu temp

Is any one else running a Barton 2500+ OD'd to 2800+ by changing to 12x (Just got it, give me time!), NF7-S with the new Bios 17?

After installing the Bios 17 it "recalibrates" your CPU temp sensor. My system jumped +8C.

I have lifted the sensor under the CPU and put AS3 on the bottom of the CPU to aid in giving true temps.

I am getting about 42C idle and 51C running Burnin.
    (Only using a Tt Volc 9 set @ 3000rpm)

Please post your temps if you are running a similar setup, the big jump after the bios upgrade is spookin' me out.

Forgive me if i'm on the wrong track here, you put A£ on the bottom of the cpu? as a3 is conductive i sure hope its nowhere near those lovely little gold pins or your going to be sorry.

as to your other point, my temps on asus probe are way lower than what bios is reporting but its running stable and thats what counts.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

AS3, or any other thermal compound, goes between the cpu core and the heat sink. Putting it on the bottom of the cpu is not good.

Its a small dab in the middle of the CPU for the sensor to come in contact with. It is no where near the pins. A lot of people do this to get a better temp reading.

Why is there an issue with putting a bit of AS3 on the bottom?

as it's thermal grease and can smear it's way too easy to inadvertantly get some on the pins or in the socket holes, which in the worst case will short and fry your chips, and in the best cause instability and require thorough cleaning.

I would also question the benefit of a more "accurate" temp reading, when it's too high your system won't boot anyway. Same if it hangs or crashes, too much speed so either better cooling is needed or drop back until stable.

meant to post mine is on 12x at 190mhz.

I would also be afraid that the AS3 could "drip" down into the diode space under your CPU/inside socket. That would not be good.

I've never heard of anyone putting AS3 on the diode. Really taking a bad chance there.