Thread: Mac/PC video conferencing software

Mac/PC video conferencing software

I have a PC and my brother has a Mac. He just got a webcam and I want to do a video conference with him, but I'm having trouble finding any free video conferencing software that can do direct IP connections, and is compatible with both Macs and PCs. Suggestions?

Microsoft Messenger? (MSN messenger, latest version)

Apple just came out with "iChat" with the G5 release and they seem to be pushing it hard, i think its compatible with PC's. They'd be stupid to leave it in compatible with the market and technology the way it is.

Rob
    - RobLook Frodo, I see light!
    Boston, MA - GO RED SOX!
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 12.0x148
    ASUS A7V266-E
    http://www.codesilence.com
    512 MB of DDR pc2100
    Maxtor 20Gig 7200 RPM
    VisionTek Ti 4600 128mb GeForce 4
    Sony CPD-G420S Trinitron - Flat screen
    SB Live! 5.1 Platinum w/JBL SCS150SI
    Pioneer 16x Slot DVD
    HSF Thermal Take Volcano 7+
    Windows XP Professional

"Einstein grew a brain, why can't you?"

Click for my 3DMark2001se score - 11022

Originally posted by Braiii
    Microsoft Messenger? (MSN messenger, latest version)

Apple just came out with "iChat" with the G5 release and they seem to be pushing it hard, i think its compatible with PC's. They'd be stupid to leave it in compatible with the market and technology the way it is.

Rob
    The Mac version of MSN Messenger does not support webcams, due to the fact that MSN Messenger uses NetMeeting for video conferences and there is currently no Mac version of NetMeeting.

iChat has been around for a while now (2 or 3 months), but just recently has iChatAV (Audio/Video) been released, still in beta right now. It's not currently compatible with PCs, and it probably wont be, since iChatAV operates on the AOL Instant Messenger Network and PC users will probably just have to wait until AOL releases a webcam-enabled edition. Apple doesn't want to waste their time making a PC version of iChatAV when AOL will eventually make a webcam-enabled AIM anyway. But, who knows.
    Last edited by matthew13l; 07-21-2003 at 11:28 AM.