Thread: I would like a make a RAM drive for my games

I would like a make a RAM drive for my games

I heard in other threads about people doing this.
    How does it work? I have 1gig of p133 ram I would will be upping it by another 256 soon. Do RAM drives make your games run faster?
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!

Yes, but you'll have to reinstall them if you shutdown your comp or it crashes. It's just a PCI card that holds PC100/133 ram and some software to make it recognized as a useable "drive."

You'll get a huge drop in load times, but the fact that unless you have a UPS that can keep your system up for a good while (if your eletrical company is like the one hear, you'd understand why) you'll be reinstalling games on every outage, crash, or shutdown.

oh.............would it impove bandwidth to the cpu?

depending on the game, you might be able to copy from the hard drive to the ram drive.

so if i shut down my computer i can copy from the hdd to the ram drive? How long would that take? Some of my games are pretty huge 800-2gigs. My mother board can only support 1.5gigs

It's just a PCI card that holds PC100/133 ram and some software to make it recognized as a useable "drive."
    Thats not true... they have ram drives like that but they've worked them out to where the have batteries to keep the information on them for a short while... What Logan is asking about is a peice of software to use some of his system memory as a Ramdrive...

http://thetechzone.com/downloads/ram_drive.zip

download that... its a ramdrive program that will let you use up to 2gb of system memory as a ramdrive... but as others have said you'll loose everything you put on the ramdrive when you re-boot

Ah, I thought he was talking about a PCI Ramdrive. Haven't seen one in ages, and the one that I saw held 512 megs of memory max with no battery. I'm a little iffy on if the memory stat is correct due to how long it's been, but I know there was no battery on it. Guess they finally realized that it would be a good idea, it would bring in a few more buyers at a near zero cost to them.

Originally posted by Omega2k1

Thats not true... they have ram drives like that but they've worked them out to where the have batteries to keep the information on them for a short while... What Logan is asking about is a peice of software to use some of his system memory as a Ramdrive...

http://thetechzone.com/downloads/ram_drive.zip

download that... its a ramdrive program that will let you use up to 2gb of system memory as a ramdrive... but as others have said you'll loose everything you put on the ramdrive when you re-boot
    Ahh thanks for the program. But pci cards with batteries this is new info. How long can the info be stored if there is a shut down
    with such a pci card?

Thanks for the program....I will gve a test drive! Then I'll get back to you.

Originally posted by Logan2002

Ahh thanks for the program. But pci cards with batteries this is new info. How long can the info be stored if there is a shut down
    with such a pci card?

Thanks for the program....I will gve a test drive! Then I'll get back to you.
    Check out this link to see a PCI RAM Drive review.
    http://www.ocaddiction.com/reviews/h...k_rocketdrive/
    It's powered by a External Adapter.

WOW!!! The price of that pci ram drive is high! But it looks great!
    4gigs of data........But lets say the adapter cable comes out the socket for some reason.....does it have a battery back up.....also how long do battery backups last?

That drive looks realy cool!

many gamers and PC builders out there simply do not have a UPS and cannot afford to purchase one.
    If you can't afford a UPS, how can you afford their card?

Originally posted by maje87c

If you can't afford a UPS, how can you afford their card?
    It's a generalisation...... or something ..... they can buy it, but they would rather buy the product.

Scalability: Rocket Drive is available in several configurations to meet the varying needs of Cenatek’s customers. Memory configurations start at 512 MB and go up to 4 GB, with plans to expand to 8 GB.

High-Speed Data Transfer: Rocket Drive’s data transfer rates reach up to 132 MB per second (burst rate) and 80 MB to 115 MB per second (sustained rate), depending on the system’s load. These rates represent speeds that are two-to-five times faster than conventional SSDs and thousands of times faster than standard hard disk drives.

Ease of Use: Rocket Drive’s board-level, plug-and-play design automates installation into a company’s desktops and servers. Installing a Rocket Drive takes less than five minutes and requires no special software.

Got this from thier website sounds good...VERY expensive.
    But I could put alot on a 4 gig pci drive.

is really thousands of times faster than standard hhd's?