Thread: Changing Multiplier on Athlon XP 1600

Pin Mod on Athlon XP 1600?

Ok i've got an ECS K7S5A mother board, well it has no option for changing the multiplier so the L1 bridge connecting trick wont work and i dont really want to have to mess with the L3 bridges. I was wondering if this pin mod trick works that i've found here.

http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop...md_pinmod.html

I want to try to get this thing up as fast as possible and still stable... I'm hopeing for like a 142-146fsb with either a 11-12 multiplier(i've found a program that gets the FSB running at more options then what are available with a bios flash or CHFSB(K7S5A OC'ing Script))...

Temperature shouldnt be much of a problem cause i'm at 45C under load and i'm getting some new thermal grease soon(which is a lot better then this Radio Shack ****, but its not Arctic Silver).

Has anyone done the pin mod and does it work without screwing anything up?
    Last edited by Omega2k1; 07-19-2003 at 01:08 AM.

has anyone ever heard of doing the pin mod(btw... this is a bump in disquise )?

*bump*

*bump again*

sheesh... whats w/ people...
    Someone Read my post

I'm not some annoying n00b thats just learned about overclocking and wants to do it... i've overclocked for a long while now, i just want to change my multiplier but my bios has no option(ECS K7S5A Motherboard w/ AMI Bios) and i dont want to mess with the L3 bridges so i was wondering if the pin mod would be the way to go, or if it even works...
    Last edited by Omega2k1; 07-18-2003 at 07:31 PM.

I'm not expert on overclock.. czu i never oc b4...

[easy way]
    overclock either raise the FSB.. from 133 to 1xx (depend on waht cooling u have)..

or lower your multiplier and raise more FSB..

assume your Athlon 1600XP have 10.5 Multiplier which is times 133FSB = around 1400mzh..

or you can lower your Multiplier down to 9 times 155FSB.. which is same but faster than

so here is the math...

10.5 X 133 = 1396
    9 X 155 = 1395 (this probably faster...} czu higher FSB is faster.. than high Multiplier..
    Leo

well i would do that but there's 2 problems with your idea... for one my bios doesnt have an option for changing the multiplier(even after i unlock the processor, its not a really good overclocking mobo), and two is my only FSB options are 133, 137, 142, 148, 150, 157(i think), and 166. If i'm lucky i might be able to get it up to 166mhz but i'll have to get some new ram cause i'm using cheap PC133 SDRAM... I need some PC2700 DDR...

What i was really wondering is if the Pinmod works...

If you're going to get serious with OCing by modding and whatnot, don't waste your modding time with an ECS K7S5A. They're not great boards at stock speeds to begin with, let alone overclocking.

Here's the information that you're looking for.
    http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm

AMD Opty 165 2900 actual mhzzzzzz's
    Assrock 939dualSata

Originally posted by Omega2k1
    well i would do that but there's 2 problems with your idea... for one my bios doesnt have an option for changing the multiplier(even after i unlock the processor, its not a really good overclocking mobo), and two is my only FSB options are 133, 137, 142, 148, 150, 157(i think), and 166. If i'm lucky i might be able to get it up to 166mhz but i'll have to get some new ram cause i'm using cheap PC133 SDRAM... I need some PC2700 DDR...

What i was really wondering is if the Pinmod works...
    1. Is there a motherboard that in Bios allow you to change your multiplier? (assume they have o well u paid what you get)

2. your motherboard is ECS K7S5A, there is only FSB option u can choose highest FSB is 137.. [again you paid waht you get.. ]

Just want to WARN you that overclock will voids the warranty. SO if you CPU is toast the AMD wont replace for you.. also you was thinking to get 166FSB.. it seem you lost your mind .. if u dont have good cooling your CPU going to toast.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Aznmask; 07-19-2003 at 02:04 PM.
    Leo

i've got a few more options then 137fsb thanks to CPU Cool...

I'm out of my warrenty anyway... computer is over a year and a half old...

I wasnt thinking of getting it to 166mhz anyway... I was going for 146.6 w/ an increased multiplier... maybe 11.5 or 12 multiplier... That would give me almost 1700mhz or a little over...

I'm going to wait to buy a new board till the Athlon 64's are out and go down in price a bit...

Gone
    Retail AMD is 3 years. Anyhow go or it. Take oclock in small steps. Then when no boot- just back down one step. Till ya raise vcore your not at risk at all of burning up cpu. Just BSOD's and system instability.

P.S. I run prime95 and sandre burn -in wizard to make sure stable at oclock.