Thread: XP acting funny when idle

XP acting funny when idle

i recently moved from 98se to XP. i have an old 550 amdk6-2 with 350 mb ram. i installed a seagate 40gb 7200 hd a while back.

the other day i was poking around in xp and came across a screen that said "when computer is idle ............ faster" cant remember what it said in between ... and it had a check box next to it. .. so i thought oh goody and checked it ...

now when the computer is idle the hd light goes on, it starts crunching some thing (no programs running) and the hd goes wild just like that ... it keeps at it until i move the mouse.

the thing is, it takes a while, about 2 mins for the computer to back to its sences ...

it is quite annoying when you sit down to do something and having to wait for the system to act normal again.

i cant remember how i got to that checkbox. if any does can you refresh my memory.

thanks ....

by the way any tips on running xp on older system smoother is wellcome
    Last edited by ali; 07-16-2003 at 03:54 PM.

i dont have an answer to your checkbox question but i can help you make xp run better.

Check out your System Properties dialog box. Right click My computer> properties (i use windows classic style theme, including my taskbar). Click Advanced tab, in the performance section click settings...you can poke around in here and have some fun.

Also, i noticed my HD led lit when i wasn't using my pc or have any apps running. I think this was due to the indexing service. There's a way to stop it from running when idle, i think. I cannot find it right now, maybe someone else can help us out.
    "G-g-g-g Guess whos back? D-Twizze!, O-Twizzie! Doc-Twizzie!, Shady-Twizzie!, slash Aftermath! Fiftycent!, G Unit!, Here we go!, Free Yayo! Muthaf'r!, Benzino!, They don't know we finna' blow! Someone betta' tell them so..." D12 - Loyalty
    "Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs//so the police can bother me" Tupac - Changes

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    I don't recall what that would be but when it does go to task manager/processes tab from the taskbar and see whats running in the background maybe you'll be able to indentify it from there.

I believe you may be referring to the Indexing service. If so, you can right-click the drive in My Computer and select Properties. In the bottom of the window is a box that can either be checked or unchecked to enable/disable this "feature" within WinXP. All it does is makes searching for files faster by indexing the contents of the drive. If you dont need this feature, you can turn it off and that should stop the HDD from being hit like mad when your computer enters idle state.