Thread: Dead A7N8X

Dead A7N8X

Yeeep... It's dead.

I was installing windows after recently figuring out how to enable the recognition of my 80 gig Seagate SATA drive, when the installer said it couldn't install one file for some reason or another... I restart it, and before the memory check gets started, I switched off the power source.

I try to turn it on again, no go.

The fans spin, the HD makes noise, and the CD drives do their thing, but the monitor button turns orange, then yellow, then oranege again.

There's no startup "BEEP!"

I'm afraid I fried my mobo *somehow* but this poor newbie doesn't know exactly how, or if indeed it is fried.

Please help? I tried to do the entire jumper/battery removal manuver, but nothing works. I once got it to work when I plugged one CD ROM drive into the primary IDE port. I was so surprised that I didn't get a chance to get into the BIOS and see what was the matter, so I restarted it, and bammo, nothing again.

HELP! I don't want to go back to Fry's and have some sweaty guy be disgruntled with me because I'm going in to exchange another 'defective' mobo.

Test it outside the case with just the CPU, memory and video card. Connect the monitor, hold down the video card and short the power pins with your screwdriver. Double-check the CPU heatsink while it's out.

If it fails, take it back on the day that the sweaty dude is off.
    MS MCP, MCSE

0_0'

Errr, I think I'll just have to withstand the utter sweatitude of the beastly Tech-Support guy, because I don't feel like electrocuting myself!!

Thank you for all your invaluable help though.

I'll walk up to that fool and be like. "Hey, you're lucky you're getting my money at all, beotch, so you bess hand over a new mobo, befo I take yo *** out back, stupid mofo!"

Uh, Kender - testing the motherboard outside of the case is standard preparation troubleshooting. Ask any A+ student.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'm sorry

I don't know how to do what you just said... Could you link me to a place with pictures? I like pictures.

Could someone explain so I don't hurt myself? I'd like to have children in the future...

You can't electrocute yourself on 5V or12V DC. That's very dramatic.

Remove the board from the case, place it on a soft, non-conductive surface near the case and plug in the ATX power. Place the vid card in and connect the monitor. Connect the power. Nothing else needs to be connected. Press down hard on the vid card and use your screwdriver to short the POWER BUTTON pins. See if it POSTs. If it does, replace it gently. If not, we have a problem.

Sorry - no pictures. You didn't need pictures to set it up, did you?
    MS MCP, MCSE

what BpB means is for you to take out the motherboard.

place it on top of a no conductive surface, like a rubber pad, piece of wood, or even a mantle.

the just hook up the the mobo like BpB said, and you'll be fine

Wow, lol. That was great, it made me feel mildly competent!

Yep, it's fawked. No POST-ing. Thanks Bill, you are a Guru!

ahh,, he just beat me to it. I was just sitting back listening to some music kicking back a couple of CUA's. :P

FRY's should be part of Bush's Axis of EVIL!!!

Fry's is more evil than dual channel Darth Vader, Count Chocula and Hannibal Lecter combined! Notice there is always a line out the door of people trying to return stuff. They have the WORST return issues. Like the soup Nazi on Seinfeld, stay away!! They also restock used gear all the time. That is what those white stickers are on everything... you probably were not the one to short out your mobo... they ain't called "Fry's" for nothing!! Those f'ers sold me an Athlon XP as new under full warranty and it was defective and a used item. They LATER pointed out the sticker and would not take it back TWO DAYS after purchase. Even AMD's reps said they should take it back as they would cover it under warranty. I fought Fry's for 11 months with my credit card and nearly tarnished my perfect credit rating. Contact Better Buisiness Beaurau if you need to. They have a whole division dedicated to Frys issues.. no joke. If you still have trouble, call Channel 2 news' Bogey's corner or "Shame on You" type stuff. That got Fry's good! Fry's is only good to hold and see items you want to buy and then get them a billion times cheaper online or at CompUSA. MORAL: NEVER shop at Fry's.

But what do you really thing of Fry's?
    MS MCP, MCSE