Thread: Playing DVD's on computer...not as sharp a picture???

Playing DVD's on computer...not as sharp a picture???

I've been meaning to pose this question to see if anyine knows of how to tweak this. When playing dvd's on the computer I've noticed the picture a bit "soft" and not as sharp as when I play dvd's on the TV set. I've looked around in the settings on the decoder and cannot find anything which would indicate that it is producing a softer image. I have noticed it on all software dvd players from Windows Media Player 9 to WinDVD. I was just wondering is anyone knows of how to tweak this to get a "sharper" image to that say of how sharp the rest of the display is on the desktop?

The TV isn't really sharper - it's rougher. It can't approach the resolution of a PC monitor.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I know that monitors are better and capable of displaying more acurate pictures than TV sets, I work with CAD/CAM on my computer. I was just talking about the picture itself how it was output in the software dvd players codec on the screen. I found out what it was as well. The picture was set to adjust to the player upon resizing...this as well as setting the piture to be displayed in the original aspect ration in the "video padding" (with my current codec...other's maybe called something differently) options (under main dvd advanced options) gave it a "truer" and sharper image (Media Player 9). Also I set the Resolution options to Original aspect which helped as well. Just wanted to share to those interested.

well there's a big difference if you use Hardware decoder vs Software decoder

the Hardware one produces much sharper and crystal clearer picture
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Originally posted by AllGamer
    well there's a big difference if you use Hardware decoder vs Software decoder

the Hardware one produces much sharper and crystal clearer picture
    i thought software had caught up to hardware by now,.......
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

yup... i remember those expensive dxr3 cards from creative...they did produce good quality pictures.

But, todays software decoders are not that bad either.