Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP popups

XP popups

Im sure this has been discussed before, if not beat to death, but what is the deal with popups on windows xp...not for myself, but a friend of mine has a version of XP that came loaded on his Dell computer....whenever a game is being played it gets minimized to make way for these crappy popups(not even from browsing the net), they are many and often, how may they be disabled?

run

SERVICES.MSC

the select MESSENGER

and change it to DISSABLE

reboot

dont

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Can we just delete the darn thing?

Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

If you are not using the MSN Messenger you can completely remove it by clicking the Start button > Run > then paste this single line in the command box:

RUNDLL32 ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\MSMSGS.INF,BLC.Remove

and finally click OK.
    KT7A-RAID
    64 bios
    1ghz AMD Thunderbird
    TaiSol CGK760092 hsf
    Micron 256mb pc-133 cas 3
    Maxtor 40gb ATA-133 7200rpm
    Visiontek GeForce4 Ti 4200 agp
    Plextor 40x12x40 cdrw
    SupraMAX 56i modem
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Win XP Pro

I find its easy to turn it off at the taskbar, then browse to Program Files\Messenger and rename the folder to Messengerold . No bootup delays and no MSMSGS.

How many times does it have to be said...over and over....in thread after thread....that messenger services (and pop-ups associated with that service being turned on) has nothing to do with WINDOWS MESSENGER?

Why do people keep posting instuctions on how to remove/disable Windows Messenger over and over again in these kinds of threads?

Originally posted by mpc2
    How many times does it have to be said...over and over....in thread after thread....that messenger services (and pop-ups associated with that service being turned on) has nothing to do with WINDOWS MESSENGER?

Why do people keep posting instuctions on how to remove/disable Windows Messenger over and over again in these kinds of threads?

People read a little too quickly sometimes. We've all done it and get a little egg on our faces.

YEP ditto.
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

I somehow thought that messenger had nothing to do with it.....but what causes it? any idea?

I thought you can choose the option to install the Messenger during the installation of WinXP.

Right?
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

....sigh....

mpc2 is right, now i'm asking the same question too

we just explained it
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Ok here it goes....MSN Messenger is an internet relay chat program, messenger service is a hidden server compliments of Microsoft that by default is ON.....

Here is the easy way to nuke it
    Last edited by Rob R.; 06-24-2003 at 01:30 PM.

Kudos Rob R.! I am sure most people familiar with Sys Opt have figured out the trick to "killing the Messenger" (pun intended), I myself figured it out before I found Sys Opt (renamed the file folder) and was very proud of myself. I have not used the Shoot the Messenger program but it is a very informative site and I will spread the word to anyone in need.

Windows Messenger Service simply notifies the user of Windows Events when it is on. The behavior is different between Win2k and WinXP.

MS Messenger is an Internet chat software.

We originally discussed turing off the messenger service (See picture) which appears to be what the author of this thread needed. Removing MS Messenger is something different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rraehal; 06-24-2003 at 11:45 AM.
    -- Mathias

It probably wouldn't hurt to sticky one of these threads, considering the number of times this question is asked.