Thread: hi lost my social security card

Hybrid View

hi lost my social security card

hey i dont know if someone stole it or i lost it but what if my social security number is in bad hands
    what do you they can do to me?

Re: hi lost my social security card

Originally posted by memot
    hey i dont know if someone stole it or i lost it but what if my social security number is in bad hands
    what do you they can do to me?

I suppose they could access all sorts of personal information.. But I can't really say what someone could "Do" to you..Tricky....I think this belongs in community forum by the way.

I had a look around my room and these forums but couldn't spot it anywhere. Sorry.

Stefan
    Stefan

Ultimate Member
    Well, i have been so careless with my info, posting it ALL over the net - and exposing it to "millions" of bad people.... nothing has happened to me yet!

You don't want to know all the things "they" can do to you, or more precisely, do in your name, with your SSN. Hopefully, you don't have a lot to lose, but I would stay on the lookout for new credit card accounts opened in your name, loans you didn't take, that sort of thing.
    The real killer of ID theft is that greedy bastards can destroy your credit, making it impossible for you to get a car note, buy a house, or even rent an apartment in some cities (true here in Seattle). It can take years to sort out the mess if you have been targeted.
    Hopefully your SS card is somewhere in the Atlantic or fluttering around with all the other garbage. They're paper, so they don't hold up well.
    Don't sweat it, but keep an eye on things.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Anyone is welcome to my credit rating

Anyone is welcome to my credit rating
    Mine too

what can be done with your SS card?

Well, let me see here

I could go and get out your birth certificate printed out.

With your birth certificate and your SS Card I can take out an ID.

With these three I can create a bank account, take loans under yuor name, take out cars/trucks, after getting your credit checked ofcoarse.

Then never pay back the loans, or what I bought nor the credit card bills, and guess who they will come looking for?

You.

Btw, it is possible to steal the identety of a dead person. I can't say how to do it, or I'll get banned from here, but there are simple ways. You just have to be a good actor and a good liar to begin with.

Pray that you find it.

Your SSAN is already out there. Take every ones' advice and be alert to new credit accounts. Alert your current creditors that there may be a problem, and go to your nearest Social Security office to have the card replaced. It is a 30 minute process.

It is not a big deal, just a few minutes of prevention will make you feel a whole lot more safe.

Tarp