Thread: Setting Thread priority

Setting Thread priority

I'm using WinXP Pro. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to make given apps start up with a given priority level? IE, my Distributed Computing Client automatically starts up with the lowest priority, so I never feel an effect on my system. I often run Video/Audio compression and filters, which can take hours and interfere with my computer usage. I can set it manually to a below normal priority, where it won't slow me down, and it will idle if I want to do something else for a while. I also like to set my video capture up to realtime priority, so I don't drop frames. I have to do all this manually.

Is there a way to make these apps automatically start up with a set processing priority?

Also, while I'm on the priority of subject, is there a way to assign internet priorities? I'd like to set my download manager at minimum priority, since I'm on dialup, so that I don't have to mess with it and can just leave it up even when I'm working online.

Thanks! Sorry this was kinda long.

hmm good question

i know how to manually do it easy

but to Already boot up with it

i'll imagine it has to come from Services

or if from StartUp folder then from properties

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Manually is easy, but a pain to do every time you start the app (not the computer). I've looked under properties under the startup menu shortcuts, and anywhere else I could think to look. It just seems like a feature that would be very valuable to MANY people. . . especially those that run heavy processing apps.

It's not a good idea. Most front-focus applications run at low priority and run fine. Raising another app risks destabilizing the PC at bootup when services must get going.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'm not raising anything at bootup. The only thing I want to raise is video capture, and I start that AFTER the computer, and it's only running maybe 1% of the time, I just hate dropping frames. I've been running it at realtime priority for a while, I just have to raise it manually every time. My computer has been up and stable for a couple days already. My last reboot was just for an upgrade. I want to lower DivX processing just so it doesn't hog my system for 6+ hours straight (I do 3-pass encoding, and usually set up 2 or 3 movies that I've recorded)

if you only want it for video capture they just do it Manually from TASK MANAGER

so easy

right click select level done

since you have to open your software to run video capture anyways

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

MS MCP, MCSE