Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm leaving AMD camp

Ultimate Member
    I wouldnt touch PC Chips with a ten foot barge pole, they look very cheap and very nasty to me, and i seriously doubt they would have an advanced feature such as thermal throttling. As for the bundled cooler, it'll do fine if your not overclocking

--Jakk

go to www.amd.com and they will give a list of amd approved motherboards, in other words, cpu thermal protection. try www.newegg.com for various bundles deals.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

PC Chips

I don't mean if it's a nice board to have, I mean... what's the worst that can happen if I do everything the way it's meant to be done, and touch nothing else?

This may start a war

Geforce 5600 or Radeon 9600? What handles cheap boards the best?

Whichever turns your crank, since both companies have moved to external power sources rather than drawing from the AGP slot for power the PSU is more important than the mobo.

However, nvidia does have a history of making cards that are more power-hungry than ATI, though that seems to have changed with the current generations.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

I am sorry its just to hard not to jump right in and tell ya how funny this is . Pc chips , Ecs motherboards , with the XP 2600 , no wonder AMD performs poorly if you use motherboards with restrictor plates. Talk about hardware incompatability....Mix and match hardware from the bottom and the top of the barell, dammmm the look for driver updates would be extensive .. Now tell me your just funnin with me huh ..........

Actually, I'd rather not pay $200 for an Abit motherboard, when BENCHMARKS show a SLIGHT advantage in performance. Now, will it work or not? Half the people here say ECS isn't so bad. I don't think we care to hear about how good Abit or Asus is. What do you think about Epox? 2 years ago people said it was ****ty, what now? I used Epox and never had ANY of the problems people complain about.

Or, can someone tell me where to get at least a 2 GB RAM motherboard, up to Athlon XP 2600, AGP 8x, 2 USB slots, at least 5 PCI, WITH the CPU? This board and CPU deal I have is cheaper than most the Athlon processor costs, and it comes with a board. I'd also take a P4, just need it to be under $160. I can find other parts for good prices, but this motherboard and CPU has always bothered me.

ECS

Tcom

funny, my so called bottom of the barrel ECS board I am typing on now, while my 1 year old ASUS 150.00 is sitting here with caps blown off it LOL,, I just had to throw that in...

and as far as performance guess you havent read much about the SIS735, and performance..

oh well, to each their own, thats why we have opinions

Chippewa

Let me find out , just deals . com has a fine P4 Soyo board for $50 , and you can go to price watch and pick the 2.4gig P4 Celeron , and clock to 3gig easy .You would even have $30 change left. The overclocked Celeron makes up in mhz what it does not have in cache memory. Or go with the P4 at 1.8gig and get the extra cache memory , and overclock to 2.5gig...The board has 5 pci slots and supports 2gigs of ddr 333 .........

Who was the SiS comment for?

Oh yeah.... right. Justdeals is where I got some stuff for my last computer. Thanks.

Know of a site with some Celeron benchmarks versus Athlon? I still don't know if Celeron is good.

Tcom50 is the only person I know who regularly defends the performance of the Netburst Celeron against all comers. At stock speeds it is by far the weakest current generation mainstream CPU. It's perfectly good for a home email/surfing station, but you can get better performance for the same money at that price range by going AMD.

The SiS comment was because the ECS K7S5A series motherboards use the SiS 735 Chipset.

The problem with overclocking the Celeron is that it still doesn't address the data starvation issue. It's faster when it has data, but it still runs out of data too fast.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Then I'm back to needing a cheap motherboard and CPU.