Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm leaving AMD camp

But AMD has already got more Opterons sold than Intel has Itaniums, and it only took 2 computers.

Cray is buying 10,000 for one called Red Storm, and the Chinese are building a supercomputer using 3000 of them. Opteron scales in a multi-processor environment like nobody's business.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

OK, for a start, in comment to the first and original post, if you have the money, and you are buying a new CPU/Mobo/RAM combo, I'd recommend you go intel. I know I would if I could, they are indeed the benchmark at the moment, and AMD can't quite get there now.

As for this anti-AMD and anti-Intel.. ? If you own AMD and you think it's better than in Intel, you are delerious. If you are an Intel man (or woman) and say AMD is no competition, is useless and serves no purpose, you are, once again, delirious.. and just as much as the last category. It's just that simple.

I'm an AMD owner, but I know the Intel's own. I also know that they are out of my price range, and it's also cheaper for me to stay with AMD because I have 2 AMD systems that I can up grade and pass pieces on to.

I also noted the knocking of the PR rating and such. It was simple. Until Northwood, Intel bit the huge winky and AMD was owning them, BUT the Mhz were lower in the AMD camp and people were thinking Mhz = performance which isn't true. Therefore the PR rating. Just to clear this up, it is indeed a match against intel. PR (AFAIK) = Pentium Rating. The old (and evil) cyrix's used to use them. The ratings were pretty accurate, but now they are a tad high ^_^

Also, the P4's have SSE2. I usually dub this as a cheating device, as without it the FPU speed of the P4 is pretty useless. But, they do have it, it works and the P4 is the winner.

And Tcom, saying that clocking a Celery 2.0Ghz for performace is cool, but it's still a Celery 2.0Ghz and then saying that the 3200+ is not the best chip and a TB clocked is better is a direct contradiction Think about it And there is no way you can convince me that a celeron is better than AMD. An 1800+ will eat a celery 2.0Ghz alive. I know it wasn't said, but I just thought I'd state that fact. If you're going to go Intel, for goodness sake, GO ALL THE WAY!

Lol, zybch.. I remember the 1.13 mass recall. That was funny indeed The PR ratings are high, but I wouldn't say it's making AMD 'look like they are doing something'. Because they are. They haven't made the improvements that Intel has, but they are at least within reason of keeping up. I mean, if the bridge was really THAT huge (Ok, it's pretty big, but the price difference is basically rediculous) then no-one, and I'm mean NO-ONE would spend money on an AMD. If AMD was doing Cyrix-style numbers, they would not even be an option in my books. I'd be saving for an intel.

One last point. You Intel and even AMD fanatics (and I mean the ones that want each-others CPU company to keel over and DIE) should be glad that the other exists for the simple fact of COMPETITION. If the opposition was not there, you'd be guaranteed to be paying and even higher premium for your CPU and the release of technologies would probably also be a lot slower.

I dunno about you, but I like having a selection when I go to the video store. Contunuous episodes of Rocky and The Terminator would reduce the desire to watch video's. Think about it... :P

I still think the right choice is what's best for your purposes.

I'm perfectly happy to admit the high end P4's do rule most if not all the current benchmarks, but at the same time there are some jobs a P4 isn't very good at, and I'd go AMD for those.

But I may be weird because my dislike is not for Intel, but for the Netburst Architecture. I don't like a lot of the tradeoffs they made.

Still, if I were buying an absolute top line x86 system right now I would have to go Intel unless I needed raw FPU power.

However I would buy a dual Opteron before a dual Xeon, they scale better for multi-processor, and that's not counting the 64-bit side.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

less filling...
    tastes great...
    less filling...
    tastes great...

sorry could not resist saying that.

I'm sitting here digesting OMAD's post and while there may be something to some of what he/she says, the Cyrix processor ran hot and I'm still waiting to find one that ran at it's pr-rating.
    kevrob1

Peace Go With You...

Originally posted by Plaster

The moral of the TH article should be "If you're stupid enough to take your CPU cooler off while your computer is on, you shouldn't have a computer."

What next, will you refuse to buy (insert car maker here)'s car because it will crash if the tires fall off while driving down the freeway? Or what if you ripped the radiator out while doing 70? I'm sure it will burn up.

Basically, that was perhaps the most useless article he's ever thrown up. Considering the source, that's saying a lot.
    I guess you've never had your fans stop running fail while doing 90 on the turnpike...the radiator alone doesn't cool your engine enough to keep your car running for the next 2 miles. heaven forbid something stops working ...If a car is poorly made where the tires have a habit of falling off, of course I'm not going to buy the car...get where I'm coming from??

Things break..I like to know that I'm safe when my things break...namely my cooling. trust me pushing your car across a busy highway is no picnic...neither is spending hundreds of dollars to replace damaged parts.

There is a difference between pulling off the entire cooling solution, and having part of it fail.

Pulling off the whole thing means NO cooling. None at all. Nota, zero, zilch, nil, nothing.

When only part of it dies, there is still something there to cool it somewhat, which gives you (or your hardware) a lot more time to react.

If the cooling in your car completely stopped, it would prolly heat up too fast for you to notice your gauge going up. But if only part of it failed, you would prolly notice the temperture steadily increasing much faster then it should. Giving you time to pull over, and saving yourself a **** load of trouble.

Same with your computer. If you heatsink just falls off, you obviously didnt attach it right, bought a heatsink way too heavy and obviously outa the weight spec, or a **** cheap board. (all of which would be your fault, if you didnt quite catch that part which was implied)

Now, if you know what your doing, and none of the above happens, but say your fan fails. Well, that could happen to anyone, but as long as your have you thermal protection setup at good tempertures, and actually turned on. There would be enough time for your board to react to the tempeture increase, and shut down for you. (as the heatsink at the least is still dissipating heat quite a bit better then no heatsing at all)
    Last edited by Slade54; 07-30-2003 at 01:52 PM.

Slade, don't confuse the boy.
    yo trick, why you so **** doofus?

Right now I have an AMD 2000+ running here at 1.83 G and guess what the power supply fan is cutting out for 4 seconds ever 80 seconds ,it is my power supply ,,,,,,,NO ,,,,,,,,,,it is my home electric ,,,,NO,,,,it seems that it is not even my house wireing,,,what I found after looking at each step back in the cycle was ,,,that it was,,,,,,,,,,the power company that was pulsing and it is affecting the entire neighborhood

The problem does not show on the K6-2 or the K6-3 or any of the other intel pentium systems here but the AMD xp 2000+ is more concious because it is mounted on an ASUS board with asus probe active software which recorded the problem.

Solving the problem and implimenting a solution is simple and it took a power stabilizer to fix and that explained some headaches that were not visable on the other system but were quite apperent in hindsite So after instsalling a UPS with power stabilization for all systems they all are working smoothly now

Look beyond the known event for the cause and the solution may present itself
    consultants don't have all the answers, we just know how to find them, all the time

Good point.

Original poster is a troll. If he thinks companies need to make CUSTOM BUILDING your computer idiot-proof, what is the point of pre-built computers? Go buy a pre-built computer from Best Buy if you think it's too hard to do it yourself. Millions of people don't have problems, but you have a problem so suddenly AMD is just a terrible terrible company? Wow, thanks for that advice, I better stop buying them even though I've never, never had a problem with them... sheesh

I have set up more than 15 ECS motherboards and each one was less trouble than the Epox 8RDA+. All are still running. I'm tired of n00bs bad-mouthing them. So your PSU blew up - is that the motherboard's fault? No. You burned up a CPU - motherboard? No. So what's the beef with ECS? You make no sense at all.

Yes the ECS has no thermal protection. What do you want for $50? You just have to be careful. Two thumbs and half a brain will see you through.

Research is key. You have a fantastic resource here at SysOpt. Try using it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

with the Epox 8RDA+ there really ins't any hardware problems IMHO. Now the drivers you have to watch and see what gets installed and what doesn't.

The worst board so far from ECS is their K7S5A Revision 2. The first pci slot can't be used, has conflicts in it. And as much as BpB loves them, I hate em'. ECS makes some real good motheroards, but like all companies, they can blow it on one motherboard.

But like BpB has said before, what do you expect for just $50? If you are going to skimp out on parts, then expect to have a real crappy machine.

You can't expect much out of a cheap product.

Some people should be spoon-fed PCs from Dell...

P4 setups are far from foolproof, but they are safe from explosions, generally. You will, however, pay dearly for that insurance.
    MS MCP, MCSE

lmao, spoonfed pc's from Dell.