Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Self-Destructing DVDs Unfavorable

Ultimate Member

Self-Destructing DVDs Unfavorable

Hacking, DVD ripping, it wont work, all it means is casual users wont be able to watch it, anyone with a slight knowledge of computers would find some way around it.

Self Destructive

that's CRAZY whom ever though of that watched too much spy tv shows

no one will buy much less RENT something so stoooooooopit

most time i rent a movie from Blockbuster and i don't have time to watch it until several days later. .... sigh..... RIAA and their ways......

when will they learn?
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

So it self destructs in 48hrs...to bad it only takes about 20minutes to rip a dvd, the only thing they're doing is wasting money.

whata outrage!

Never work, DVD burners are getting cheaper and better, just like CD burners did (duh ). For the people that don't have a burner yet, it's still easy enough to rip one and compress to DivX overnight (only takes 20 minutes like was said to rip the files straight). Plus, rental places won't buy them. They couldn't afford it. They buy a movie and rent it out many times. Even if they sold the destructables for $1 each. . . so long for $1 days. And what about BlockBusters 5 day rentals? It only lasts 48 hours? If they didn't spend so much money trying to stop us, they wouldn't have to save the money from the few copies here and there. When will they figure it out? The people that protect it do it for the big bucks the companies pay them. The people that crack it do it for the fun, challenge, and love of what they do.

If a programmer can protect it, another one can crack it

Give up Corp. America. Settle for your 75% profit margin as pure profit, instead of investing it all in copy protection. How much was spent studying the Self-Destructing DVDs?

OMG. That has got to be one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever read about. It's about as ridiculous as copy-protecting audio cd's. It's futile research and implementation such as a *sigh* self-destructing DVD that contributes to the higher cost of multimedia for honest consumers. Yes, we still exist. Truth is, the casual "pirate" will always exist as well...regardless of any deterants the MPAA and RIAA concoct. Infiltrate our computers connected to the net, regardless if we use p2p networks and newsgroups? Build a cheaper box just for internet use and keep the encoding/ripping/authoring rig offline. Take away file sharing networks and people will just revert back to what they were doing 5 years ago...trading via snail mail. Copy protect Norah Jones' CD? Ever hear of line-in encoding? Jack the prices up on our DVD's and CD's? Boycott, baby. Just my take on things.

If they spent more time reducing the costs of their DVD's instead of trying to stop us copying them then they wouldn't have to worry too much about 'illegal' copies.

They can try and stop us copying with whatever methods they want but give us time and we'll crack any protection they think up.

These guys have no idea about the real world they should get out more. I think they've watched too many Mission Impossible movies on 'this dvd will self-destruct in 5 seconds'

Bring the DVD's down to about £5 and people would be more likely to buy them.
    CD sales hear in the UK are at all time lows and this is mainly due to them costing too much. My computer will MP3 a CD in about 4 minutes. Yes they are originals but much handier having them on MP3.
    Final word...reduce the costs you idiots then people won't copy them as much.

T

If I can't rip it, I don't like it.
    K7N2G-ILSR, 2500 Barton, 1 gig Corsair XMS 3200 twin pack, MSI 4200 8X, 2X Maxtor ata 133 80 gig, 2X WD ata 100 100 gig, Pioneer DVD-RW, Antec Full 400w, Sony DD/DTS Receiver, Polk 5.1 Speakers, Sony 53" RPTV.

Your Friendly Editor
    It could get worse before it gets better.
    SysOpt's Illustrious Editor

"If we can find some way to do this without destroying their machines, we'd be interested in hearing about that," Hatch said. "If that's the only way, then I'm all for destroying their machines. If you have a few hundred thousand of those, I think people would realize" the seriousness of their actions, he said.
    Bring it on. This would never work out for them. Imagine the thousands of lawsuits that would arise over the so-called "destruction" of user's personal computers. Who would make the authorized call to pinpoint a single computer and start manipulating files? The only "smoking gun" proof of illegal downloading would be a log file, which isn't exactly gold during a prosecution. I detect a stench of the term "abuse of power" here. LOL, I wouldn't be surprised if the RIAA & MPAA suddenly became an even bigger target to hacker groups worldwide if they pulled that ****. $4.99 music CDs, and $9.99 DVDs (even for the special, special, ultra-mega editions...gawd...), and piracy wouldn't be a problem. Sales would skyrocket, and these groups could finally turn to more relevant issues with consumer multimedia...quality assurance.

Now this is more like it.

What about people that download seemingly illegal music legally.

Some people download music to CD's they own for a solid state player to jog with, because they lack the knowledge to rip their own. Isn't that legal? They have the CD, they just want it in an alternate format.

And I had a tape that I liked eaten by an old player. I still have the case and shredded cartridge as proof - aren't I legal to download those songs again, and make a new tape?

From the outside these actions would all look illegal, because we are downloading copyrighted materials. . . BUT we have a license to use them!

The Boston Tea Party may be dead in the physical "New World" - but the internet is an all "New World" to have one in, and I can see it coming.

"RIAA unkowningly trashes hackers computer, who in return trashes theirs, along with their bank accounts"

Cracks are often considered illegal too, but I use them a lot because I use a laptop at school. I don't want to carry around CD's so I can play in a boring lecture class. . . . I mean, between classes at the union

Who the frigging hell do these people thnk they are??? GODS!!!!
    I EVER had any damaged done to my machine for WHATEVER reason they'd need Bill Gates lawyers to defend WHEN I have them in court rapid. How can they tell if the copies people have are illegal or not....OK if they monitor peer to peer transfers of what they think are illegal copies then pursue if that what you what....They'll clock up Trillions of airmiles doing it though.

They have just opened a can of worms.....Message for them.... The hackers are on their way.... Can see people roadmapping them already.

These doughballs verses the rest of the web population??? Bring it on

T

Amen Terminator

MI2

I think some of these corporate dogs are just looking to make some money move. I figure someone watched Mission Impossible 2 and thought the whole " this message will self destruct" bit was a gas. I dont think anyones gonna buy into that ****.