Thread: cgi script

cgi script

Hi I am working on a web site and I would like to place cgi-script "guestbook" into one of the pages. There are just a few things that elude me. I have read and searched till my head hurt and my eyes burned. These are variables that have to be changed in the "guestbook.pl" file.
    ------------------------------
    This is the address to the system location of the "guestbook.html" file.

guestbookreal="/home/yourname/public_html/guestbook.html";

Where exactly is "home"?
    What and where is the "public_html"?

date_command= "usr/bin/date";

What is this?

I also need to upload this guestbook.pl file to the cgi.bin on my host server. My host server for this particular site is "Prodigy".
    I am using WS_FTP95 to upload all my other files but I don't have a clue on getting the script into this "cgi.bin" on the server.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This looks like a Unix system response.
    "/home/zurke" is the directory where user "zurke" would be placed at logon. It would be your files.
    The sub-directory "public_html" is the common method for web servers, like Apache, to access a user's pages. eg. http://servername/~zurke/page.htm would actually load /home/zurke/public_html/page.htm.

The /usr/bin/date refers to the direct *nix path to the *nix command
    date . This shows the current date.

Now the bad news (maybe! ). Your ISP may not support CGI scripts for common users. I know mine doesn't.

But on the bright side, they may have their own guestbook function that you can use.... sned them an email.