Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AMD gone too far...yet nowhere?

Originally posted by Izdaari
    why when the 2500+ Barton is so cheap and will OC so well?
    why are you complaining... take the chip overclock it and be happy

Now personally i belive the move to 64-bit processors is a little to early, the main advantage of 64 bit is that more ram is adressable, but i think 4gb is more then enough..for a long time.

AMD shoulda stayed wit 32bit CPUs... invested that money into a new core design. they spent millions on that 64-bit chip, and there is no need for it . YET

More addressable RAM is one advantage, there are more.

When running 64bit apps, there is a performance boost over the same 32bit apps.

64bits allows for more computational power (great for you folders out there)

Its one varible you can increase to boost overall speed. You can either increase the raw speed, or the amount that is processed in one clock cycle.

AMD tends to choose the amount processed rather then raw speed.

But i agree with you, faster 32bit is prolly better then introducing 64bit. But at least they have a jump on it so as to have a lead on Intel.

Did AMD resolve the overheating problem yet?
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Originally posted by cbh
    Did AMD resolve the overheating problem yet?
    cbh, you still complain about AMD's supposed heat problem just because you phucked up when you bought one!!!

maybe you should taken care of the heat that all CPU's produce, the right way (with a decent cooler) and witht the right methods
    Last edited by stix_kua; 06-11-2003 at 12:00 AM.
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

Only if your a fool is there a heat problem.

Yeah, I think AMD resolved that, with a Barton 2500 at 40 C (48 under the highest load) on a crappy as hell (it has a stainless steel block that sits on the chip making it heavy - though has aluminum fins and base that the plate screws into) heatsink, and thats after an hour of gaming with system temps at 32C. With a laped V9 running at 3200+ speeds it runs at 43-45C the hotest after looping it in Sandra - even in gaming, doesn't get hotter than that. I think the problem is solved. Besides, my mobo is set to shut the chip down if it gets to 60C. Overclocked it as far as I can, still relatively cool, will go further with it if I have the time.

Considering they can take conserably more heat than they produce (about double), they don't seem to have a heat problem to me.

Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    Yeah, I think AMD resolved that, with a Barton 2500 at 40 C (48 under the highest load) on a crappy as hell (it has a stainless steel block that sits on the chip making it heavy - though has aluminum fins and base that the plate screws into) heatsink, and thats after an hour of gaming with system temps at 32C. With a laped V9 running at 3200+ speeds it runs at 43-45C the hotest after looping it in Sandra - even in gaming, doesn't get hotter than that. I think the problem is solved. Besides, my mobo is set to shut the chip down if it gets to 60C. Overclocked it as far as I can, still relatively cool, will go further with it if I have the time.

Considering they can take conserably more heat than they produce (about double), they don't seem to have a heat problem to me.
    Thanks bud
    --Homer Simpson

Originally posted by stix_kua

cbh, you still complain about AMD's supposed heat problem just because you phucked up when you bought one!!!

maybe you should taken care of the heat that all CPU's produce, the right way (with a decent cooler) and witht the right methods
    I tried using the best CPU cooler but it won't work and the processor gets overheated very easily. I think I'm not destined to use AMD products.
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Well then, it's clear that cbh's problem isn't that he doesn't like AMD chips, it's that they don't like him.

Originally posted by Izdaari
    Well then, it's clear that cbh's problem isn't that he doesn't like AMD chips, it's that they don't like him.

ROFLMAO
    --Homer Simpson

Ultimate Member
    Have you ever noticed that games ask for: Pentium II or III. Athlon must be better because even the first athlon will run with the game.

lol, that funny cwin.

But that is a good point. If the mininum always ask for at least a pentium, i guess athlons can handle it just fine

Actually, ive seen one or two games actually have Athlon XXXX as part of the requirment, hmm....what game was it though.

And cbh, are you installing the HSF correctly? Are you using thremal grease? (not too much, or not too little) And you didnt keep the thermal pad on it as well did you? And did you remember to plug in the fan?
    Last edited by Slade54; 06-11-2003 at 12:17 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Personally i havent ever reen a game that requires a certain athlon. I find that games with a PIII 1000mhz requirement will run on fine an old AMD K6-2 600MHz (with the same GFX card) if not better

One thing ive noticed is that pentiums seem to be better at office multitasking??? It could just have been the systems i was using.

Exaggerated Example:
    An athlon will finish one task before going onto the next, yet the pentium will do all tasks at once, whilst keeping a bit of extra processor for more!

Unfortunatly i have a Pentium 4 2.8GHz, but at least i can get HT, which i want dearly!

Gone
    "Personally i havent ever reen a game that requires a certain athlon. I find that games with a PIII 1000mhz requirement will run on fine an old AMD K6-2 600MHz (with the same GFX card) if not better"

Yes they do- they refer to amd as the "or equvilant. Like PIII 600mhz or equivilant. Oh and GTA Vice City mentions XP so now you heard of one. Funney but they put them on = ground. I myself have always said the P3 was strong. Its pretty = to a athlon even with a weaker fsb and mem. The duron is stronger than the celeron UNLEss you are talking cel II which is again a P3 with less cache and is pretty = to Durons even morgan one I have.

Req. for Vice city

800mhz P3 or 800mhz AMD Athlon or 1.2gig Intel celeron or 1.2 gig AMD duron with 128mb ram. etc. etc.